Trying to Identify and Recreate Federal Signal Pattern on Liberty II DUO+ WC & Legacy WC

WhelenNDealin

Aug 6, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Hi all,

On the OPP vehicles that still use the Federal Signal Arjent, they have a pattern that I can best describe as steady but a wig-wag at the same time. It looks a bit like the lights are shimmering. My best guess is that they have the red and blue lightheads on steady and any white ones on a wig-wag. I don't know if Federal Signal has anything like DUO or TRIO, so I haven't the foggiest as to how this pattern is configured. To be honest, it's a good-looking pattern. Shame it's on an Arjent; what a waste of a good pattern :D.

How could I recreate this pattern on a Liberty II DUO+ WC or a Legacy WC? Would setting the red/blue lightheads to steady and having the white ones do an alternating Single Flash 90 or 120 work?

TACKLEBERRY

Sep 20, 2010
Norton, MA
I don't think the Arjent had DUO lightheads, so I'm not sure how they are achieving what you described.

Is it a slow back and forth single flash "wig-wag", half the bar alternates with half the bar?
If so, that's simple to replicate. Blue side, set blue phase to 0 and white to 180. Red side, set red to 180 and white to 0. Do a single flash pattern; probably a 75 or 90.

Have you tried searching YouTube for the pattern? I'm interested in seeing what you're trying to describe.

WhelenNDealin

Aug 6, 2017
Ontario, Canada
I've looked through a few videos on YouTube, and the videos that I've seen all look like each lighthead alternates 0,180,0,180,0 across the entire bar. You're spot-on with the pattern; it looks like a Single Flash 75 or 90. OPP uses that bar pattern a lot, but it's not what I'm thinking of. I still seem to recall that the bar looked more like it was on a steady pattern than an alternating one. However, I've mostly seen this mystery pattern in the daytime. Is it possible that the sunlight has changed how the pattern looks?

Would it also be possible to replicate the effect by having the both the red and blue sides on steady and each of the white lightheads alternate 0,180,0,180,0,180 with a Single Flash 75 or 90 (Legacy WC). That's more like what this mystery pattern would look like, I think. It was like a steady pattern with a wig-wag in it.

I'm going to dig around on YouTube some more and post a link once I find what I think is the pattern. Failing that, I'll call up one of my buddies at the local OPP Detachment and talk to one of my neighbours who just retired from the OPP to see if I can meet them at the Detachment and record a video of the pattern, if possible. If I can go that route, I'll post the video ASAP. Worst case scenario, I'll just keep the phone handy and stop somewhere and record a quick video the next time I see the pattern. I'll try and post an update ASAP.

WhelenNDealin

Aug 6, 2017
Ontario, Canada
UPDATE: unlisted helped out big time with this. He said that OPP and other mass purchasers can order patterns that FS normally doesn't offer. This may be a pattern unique to OPP.

I was also looking at several YouTube videos of the different Arjent models' flash patterns as well as those for their newer light bars to get an idea of what it might be. I was looking at FS' video for the patterns on their Integrity bar and I think I found something very close to the pattern. It's similar to Cruise Mode 2 near the start of the video, except it has a bit more of a flicker or glimmer (sorry, those were the best words that I could think of).

Here's the video:

Now, my question is how to recreate something like that with a DUO lightbar. Would having a pattern where all of the red/blue light heads are set to steady and then put in cruise mode replicate this or would something more be needed?

TACKLEBERRY

Sep 20, 2010
Norton, MA
Oh, okay...I think I understand now.
Go to the WECAN bars cruise setting and select all the colored lightheads and turn them on. Then crank up the custom cruise intensity to probably 50%. Now do an alternating Single Flash 75 pattern for warning.
You may have to tweet the cruise intensity until you get the look you want.

Reactions: WhelenNDealin

WhelenNDealin

Aug 6, 2017
Ontario, Canada
Oh, okay...I think I understand now.
Go to the WECAN bars cruise setting and select all the colored lightheads and turn them on. Then crank up the custom cruise intensity to probably 50%. Now do an alternating Single Flash 75 pattern for warning.
You may have to tweet the cruise intensity until you get the look you want.

Outstanding! Thank you for helping me get to the bottom of this and thank you for giving me the info on how to set this up! I really appreciate it! It's saved me from going insane (more so) trying to figure out what in blazes that pattern was.

From what I've read on another forum, Cruise Modes aren't really used in Canada. IIRC, a poster said something to the extent of: "We don't really use them here. They're used more in the US to make a patrol vehicle's presence more visible." He's right; I've never seen cruise mode used like that, even in the bigger cities. Heck, Toronto Police still uses rotary light bars. OPP seems to only use it when they're already on scene.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.