Turbo Beam madness

Richard P

May 23, 2010
Sudbury, On
Its been a while since Ive been around, been running around like a one legged whore on fire, busy with work, hospitalized and worst of all, killed my computer.

anywho, first off for my turbo beam builds/scores is a unique 53" that has a bit of a story. WHen i bought my F550 dumper it had a 53" turbo beam on it, strobe rotator combo model. I gutted it, added streehawk rotators and newish lenses. I recently put my excalibur of my F150 on it and removed the turbo beam. the turbobeam had a unique set up that reminded me of one i always saw and loved as a kid that was on a local radio station van. all i remembered was a it was an amber/blue candy cane style bar with 2 360 strobes and rotators.

well, i started rebuilding my turbo beam, iut was set up /Y|B|Y|B|B|Y|B|Y\ y is for yellow, the old target tech yellow. and it was /S|R| |R|R| |R|S\ r-rotator, s-strobe. while closely looking at the frame, i saw that there was threaded holes under the yellow empty inner lenses, indicating a rotator was there, and under the center blues, the holes were out of place, as iff added, upon further inspection, it looked that there was a speaker grill. so it really resembeled the radio station vans bar i loved. then i asked my friend who owned the truck, and he said the guy who used to drive its wife worked for the radio station and got the bar, so it was confirmed. now i have it restored. I didnt have any speaker grills handy, so i put a black out in the middle, but also tried it with blues, i may put mirrors in there. also, while i was installing my excalibur, i layed the turbobeam on the shop floor, kept telling myself, gotta pick that up of ill run it over, the last post with random pictures will show... it survived though!

next was another 53". i recall seeing it a few years back on an avalance plow truck, when the truck was not plowing, the bar was not on the truck, as soon as he was done, the light went indoors. then the laws changed and blue was no longer for plows, i never saw the bar again. but i knew id see it listed on kijiji eventually, sure enough, i found it! 4 rotator, 2 clear center lenses with aftermarket KC competition 100 watt spot lights, i installed them on my front bumper of my F550. and i also replaced the original speaker grill.

lastly, the mother of all turbobeams, 60" longest listed in their cateloge! a frien gave it to me and can get two more. the end lens was smashed, but they all cleaned up nicely, i made good use of the clear centers that were protected under the grill and just painted some blues black and put them under it, since i still have 47 blue centers!

DSC_7356.jpg

DSC_7357.jpg

DSC_7358.jpg

DSC_7359.jpg

Richard P

May 23, 2010
Sudbury, On
60". the 60 had some electrical "issues". i was told it kept shorting and blowing fuses. maybe it had something to do eith them trying to cram H3 100w bulbs into a 55w h1 socket and pinching the h3 positive wire between the base of the bulb and socket

DSC_7374.jpg

DSC_7375.jpg

DSC_7378.jpg

DSC_7379.jpg

DSC_7380.jpg

DSC_7381.jpg

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bassslogic

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.