Twin Beacon Ray Visibar Refurb - Pic Heavy

Scoot163

Nov 15, 2013
Tacoma, WA
Haven't posted anything for awhile. This bar was in real rough shape and given for free to my customer, who is going to eventually place it on a vintage police car. It was so beat up, that the black leg brackets literally crumbled in my hands when I took them off for painting. The domes were cracked and useless. Lights were rusted, motors were rough etc. Here are some before and after pictures.

IMG_6894.JPG

The CJ-24 Speaker Cone was gone.

IMG_6895.JPG
IMG_6973.JPG

The Speaker Driver was very tired!

IMG_6974.JPG

All was cleaned rewired, motors refurbished by Skulldigger, brackets and the speaker housing powder coated by the customer. She got new endcaps, found an appropriate size speaker cone, and riveted on a new speaker badge. It took a lot of elbow grease and patience to get it back together. The former shop guys had removed the chain and put a motor in the slave drive. I left it that way since that was the way she came out of service. I think the old girl looks pretty good now.

IMG_8564.JPG IMG_8565.JPG
IMG_8576.JPG IMG_8577.JPG IMG_8585.JPG IMG_8587.JPG

Thanks for looking! I will try to upload a video but YouTube is not cooperating at the moment.

Scoot163

Nov 15, 2013
Tacoma, WA
WOW, she turned out great. I like how they stashed the can flasher in the
beacon base for the lollipops.
Yes! That made the flasher installation neat and tidy. They had one 537 flasher in each base. The lollipops flash independently. Date codes put this bar in service starting in 1971 with some modifications in 1973.

cmb56

May 22, 2010
Norrköping, Sweden
What are the flashing lamps?
I do not recognize the bases.
The lamps look a little as Dietz but not the bases. Maybe a rebuild?
Red lenses to the front would look more emergency vehicle than now but probably not original to the bar who ever used it originally.

Michael

Reactions: Scoot163

Scoot163

Nov 15, 2013
Tacoma, WA
What are the flashing lamps?
I do not recognize the bases.
The lamps look a little as Dietz but not the bases. Maybe a rebuild?
Red lenses to the front would look more emergency vehicle than now but probably not original to the bar who ever used it originally.

Michael

The lights themselves are Dietz 4-75's. Whether or not the bases are original to the lights I am not sure but I doubt it. The bases looked more like they would have been used to maybe mount turn signals on car fenders, and adapted to work on the 4-75's and the Visibar.

As far as amber lenses to the front, it was very common in Washington State into the mid 1980's. My department had a Model 17 Beacon Ray in the middle of a visibar, with two amber Dietz lights independently flashing on both ends. Even when the Aerodynic came out, we had amber end flashers on it front and rear. When we moved to Streethawks we went all blue with blue lower strobe flashers and ambers only to the rear. After that red and blue to the front to this day.

H20

Jun 20, 2010
USA / Washington
IMG_9014.PNG Looks great, nice restoration.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErikH

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.