Twin Sonic issue.

jdh

May 21, 2010
Geneva, FL
I restored a twinsonic recently that I am going to sell. The thing is, when I first power it up, it runs for about a minute, then the motor slows down for about 30 seconds, then slowly starts speeding back up again. Other then that, it runs smoothly. If I shut it down for 5 minutes, it does the same thing.

It has to be the motor, and it does this on both a strong battery and/or a good power supply every time I have tested it.

What would cause this???

Jun 18, 2013
PA
Could need to be cleaned out or an issue with the brushes. What kind of motor is in it?

jdh

May 21, 2010
Geneva, FL
This is the exact same motor. I am trying to rebuild this one b/c it seams the barrings are seized up..

Attachments

• P1010001.JPG
    P1010001.JPG
    89.8 KB · Views: 8
Jun 18, 2013
PA
ok Type 2 motor. Let's get @Skulldigger in here. See if he can drop some hints.
I probably would give it a clean out with the electrical contact cleaner at the minimum to see if that frees up any carbon and gunk in the motor.

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
It can be the motor but it can also be something as simple as you have to much contacts pressure between the motor gear and the light gear. If the light's gear is slightly worn out of shape and the gears are pressed to tight against each other you get that alternating slowing. The best way to determine if it is the motor is to take it out and power it up. Grab the gear and see how much resistance it takes to stop the motor. If it is easy to stop, it's the motor. If it's the motor I'd be glad to take a look at it.

I am trying to rebuild this one b/c it seams the barrings are seized up..
Careful with that fiber card that holds the brushes. They get brittle. I do fabricate them but have to have the motor to do it, as it is a precise fit. To loosen those bearings, put oil in through the weeping hole and using a small screw driver move those bearings around to work them free.

jdh

May 21, 2010
Geneva, FL
Good day Skulldigger.

The motor that I showed you, opened and closed very well and I did get it working. Thanks for the tip.
As for the twin. I rebuilt it from scratch. So I was very attentive to the gear box for the motor and the bulb carousels. I made sure the tension was correct. I have rebuilt many twins, areo twins and jets, to know how the chain works. This is why I suspected the motor. However, I have never had a chain/belt bar slow down after a minute then slowly speed back up. The thing is, once it spead back up, it stayed constant.
Weird

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.