Twinsonic 12X 44" Series A1A - Blackout - Head Scratcher

dkatticstore

Hello,

I recently acquired an Amber Twinsonic 12X Series A1A Length 44" What is weird is that the internal parts are all blacked out, mirrors, motor, rotators, Top inside of the domes, etc. Does anyone know if was offered by Federal Signal as an option (possibly why A1A) or does this appear to be a previous owner modification? It's strange to blackout the internal components. Any insight greatly appreciated...scratching my head! LOL

Attachments

• IMG_0360.JPG
    IMG_0360.JPG
    146.4 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0361.JPG
    IMG_0361.JPG
    140.1 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0362.JPG
    IMG_0362.JPG
    181.8 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0363.JPG
    IMG_0363.JPG
    171.6 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_0366.JPG
    IMG_0366.JPG
    171.2 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_0367.JPG
    IMG_0367.JPG
    96 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_0368.JPG
    IMG_0368.JPG
    110.3 KB · Views: 22
Jun 18, 2013
PA
I am fairly certain, Federal did not do that. At least the paint on the Mirrors is home brew. As for blacking out the tops of domes.. I have a few sets of Aerodynic domes that were factory blacked out on top like the jet series bars, but that was externally applied not painted inside the dome.

Not to mention if it was a custom build from Federal the tag should probably read.. A1Z

Blacking out the top of the dome would prevent washout by the sun.. but painting the reflectors and other components is silly. IMO.

jdh

May 21, 2010
Geneva, FL
I wounder if it was a movie prop light and that was done to cut off the extra flash's. I know they black tape some bars in movie scenes, as not to blind the camera.

Reactions: firebuff17

jdh

May 21, 2010
Geneva, FL
Let me be more specific. If you ever saw the show "Worlds Most Shocking Police Chases" if you look at the lights on the cars, you can see a section of "Maybe electrical tape" through the center of the bar, horizontally, where the focal point of the bulb is. This would cut or black out the flash of the light which would wash out the camera.

Last edited:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jaf10596

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.