Twinsonic 12x Clear domes Red/Clear bulbs. Help

localhero800

May 22, 2010
Southeast Missouri
I just traded for a Twinsonic 12x.. i have a question.. it works flawlessly.. spins without hesitation or "bouncing" . It appears that the top mirror in the X is scratching the inside of the domes very deeply.. How would i fix/keep this from happening.. i have the domes off, and hopefully pics soon!

HELP!! First Twin ive had open, so im fresh with these!

ryan

May 20, 2010
Massillon, Ohio
all 12X's scratch the middle of the inside of the domes. It comes from years of bouncing around on the road. once it is ready for display, simply restore the domes and turn them around.

localhero800

May 22, 2010
Southeast Missouri
Federial Signal Twinsonic 12x. Clear domes with red and clear sealed beam rotators.

ai206.photobucket.com_albums_bb262_localhero813_002_7.jpg

Gearbox and motor... Doesn`t seem to have much wear, considering that they are Nylon gears.

ai206.photobucket.com_albums_bb262_localhero813_027.jpg

Drivers side

ai206.photobucket.com_albums_bb262_localhero813_021_1.jpg

ai206.photobucket.com_albums_bb262_localhero813_021_1.jpg

The Deep scratches on the inside of each dome.. front and back where they switched the domes from side to side.

ai206.photobucket.com_albums_bb262_localhero813_009.jpg

ai206.photobucket.com_albums_bb262_localhero813_015.jpg

ai206.photobucket.com_albums_bb262_localhero813_016.jpg

Passanger side

ai206.photobucket.com_albums_bb262_localhero813_018_1.jpg

ai206.photobucket.com_albums_bb262_localhero813_019_1.jpg

ai206.photobucket.com_albums_bb262_localhero813_020_1.jpg

ryan

May 20, 2010
Massillon, Ohio
<-------------knows where there are clear domes with no scratches on them both non restored and polished out. let me know when your ready for them and i'll quote ya pricing.

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
Nice! And it has the flat motor. Looks like it will just need cleaning and polishing. Great find.

localhero800

May 22, 2010
Southeast Missouri
stansdds said:
Nice! And it has the flat motor. Looks like it will just need cleaning and polishing. Great find.

Is this a good thing? And yes.. it looks to be in great condition.. I guess next step is to Tear it apart and clean everything really good!

2ADAM46

May 30, 2010
Cut-n-Shoot
localhero800 said:
Ok.. so say i tear it apart, de-grease everything.. and rebuild it... with the domes as-is... what could i sell it for? Im not sure if i want to sell it or keep it.

I think you just killed your thread.

I do not comment much here as i have eyes and see the beautiful restorations that some of these guys complete. Some either have the time, money and the patience (or all) to do the job.

My congrats and thank you to those who have shared them.

I hope you can understand that i for one joined on this site (and the old) to better educate myself with this my "hobby".

I hope you are not looking to profit from the hobby, as I feel some are and others are heading that way.

The problem i have seen is the repeated questions of how much is it worth? ..How rare is it?... Is it the Jewel of the Nile?

You can see the prices sky rocket on certain internet sites with some beacons and lightbars soon after being discussed right here on this site!

Coincidence?

I think your asking a question to all on something not done yet.

I say clean it, replace what you need to and keep it because unless you are very lucky, you truly will never get back what your going to put in it.

localhero800

May 22, 2010
Southeast Missouri
No.. im not trying to get rich, but im in the business to buy and sell lights. I cant just buy al the time, and never sell.. Im not made of money.. So i have to sell some of them when i fix them..

MIKET2

May 24, 2010
Houston Tx.
localhero800 said:
No.. im not trying to get rich, but im in the business to buy and sell lights. I cant just buy al the time, and never sell.. Im not made of money.. So i have to sell some of them when i fix them..
I agree on that fully, you can't take the lights to your grave. Get it looking good it will be to your advantage.

ryan

May 20, 2010
Massillon, Ohio
your pricing depends on how restorable is it and how much will it take to look good? As is currently $75 fully restored $200+

LRGJr72

May 29, 2010
Detroit, Michigan
2ADAM46 said:
I think you just killed your thread.

I do not comment much here as i have eyes and see the beautiful restorations that some of these guys complete. Some either have the time, money and the patience (or all) to do the job.

My congrats and thank you to those who have shared them.

I hope you can understand that i for one joined on this site (and the old) to better educate myself with this my "hobby".

I hope you are not looking to profit from the hobby, as I feel some are and others are heading that way.

The problem i have seen is the repeated questions of how much is it worth? ..How rare is it?... Is it the Jewel of the Nile?

You can see the prices sky rocket on certain internet sites with some beacons and lightbars soon after being discussed right here on this site!

Coincidence?

I am interested in this site purely for collectable/sentimental reasons. So trust me when I say that your criticisms come across as self-righteous and condescending. As for those here who do make money out of this hobby, I've found they are some of the most knowledgeable, helpful people in this forum. I value their contributions.

ryan

May 20, 2010
Massillon, Ohio
<---makes profit from Twinsonic lightbars and parts. But then again what am I supposed to with 200 twinsonics and all this damn knowledge about a blinking rail road tie?

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
There's nothing wrong with restoring vintage lights just to sell them. I do that and then buy more lights... people do the same thing with cars and other stuff... no shame in buying something rough, restoring it and selling it for a profit. And yes I have often wondered if certian fads (ie flashballs etc) have started here and spread to ebay and other places. It's all just part of the fun/hobby of collecting and restoring!

2ADAM46

May 30, 2010
Cut-n-Shoot
LRGJr72 said:
I am interested in this site purely for collectable/sentimental reasons. So trust me when I say that your criticisms come across as self-righteous and condescending. As for those here who do make money out of this hobby, I've found they are some of the most knowledgeable, helpful people in this forum. I value their contributions.

I will not debate who you think i am, but my opinion(s) will stand. You will interperate what i type how you see it and i cannot help you.

I believe it neither calls out any one person individually. I believe i made that clear in the opening.

Anyone maintaining a website whether this one or another for facts and information i will say again..Thank you!

localhero800

May 22, 2010
Southeast Missouri
Got the Rotator decks cleaned, along with the mirrors polished... brushes cleaned off.. Contact plates cleaned.. Rotators cleaned.

Where do i get the Gaskets for the end of the domes?

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
Ryan would be my first guess, I think he's got stashes of every part for every TwinSonic ever produced.

ryan

May 20, 2010
Massillon, Ohio
I have to make my new end plate gasket p/n 8470A40. But mostly I do not re-use them since most of my bars hit the racks.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tommy_adams

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.