TwinSonic Model 12X

Benno

Jul 17, 2011
Germany
... The standard sealed beam is the 4464, 60W for all standard TwinSonic’s except the economy versions, 12E, 12EF and 22EV used the 4416, 30W instead. ...
The Twinsonic had (at 12 Volt) 30 or 60 Watt - depends on the used color of the bulb.
clear & red are 60 Watt (GE#4464 & GE#4464R)
amber & blue are 30 Watt (GE#4416A & GE#4416B)

Reactions: OliverD

Jul 14, 2014
North Central US
When I used to order them new, it was always an upgrade to 60 watt bulbs as I would be asked if I wanted 60 watters by the CSR's. Toward the end of their production, Federal offered the new-fangled HALOGEN sealed-beams but I don't remember any going out the door that way as that meant an extra $109, even back then! I also remember a huge HALOGEN sticker affixed to the face of the bulb! They would also ask if I wanted to keep the "appearance package" (the stainless strips and polished stainless speaker grille) and I would joke w/ them by saying "and make 'em pretty". Now that I think about it, I would think that I sent more "base models" out the door than "pretty ones". At least across MY desk.

I dealt w/ quite a few OEM's in my LATA and depending on the customer, there were a PILE of differences between their needs. Some built fire trucks, some built utility trucks, some built tow trucks, we built squad cars and small rescue vehicles...the list goes on... I remember one OEM wanting 10 of the cheapest light bars he could get so he got the aluminum speaker grille, no chrome and no mirrors...just the two rotators. His end users, on that batch, were pissed-off and I literally had to order 10 "X-mirror" kits and send them out to his customers or he had them come to me for the upfit. What a pain! For years I had two of those kits on the shelf, because his customers chose not to go to all that work... I remember seeing one of those trucks, roadside and from a distance, it looked identical to a Model 11, other than the rotators flashed together. Ah, the good ol' days...:)

Reactions: kadetklapp
I was working for a FedSig dealer/outfitter when the model 12 came out. In our market (Louisville KY...blue=police; fire, ems=red) they were pushing the clear domes that automatically came with the 60w red/clear bulbs. One local VFD had clear domes on all their apparatus and many members had clear domes on their povs. That was the only clear domed 12 we sold and shortly after install, out came the 60w clear bulbs replace with 35w bulbs. Much better color balance. The red and blue domes 12s came standard with the 35w bulbs. I bought an all red 12 for my vehicle and installed 100w aircraft landing lights in it...no visibility problems there. KSP went to 12Xs with 35w bulbs (didn’t want to spring $$$ for the 60 w bulbs) and their bars were nearly invisible in daylight until FedSig came out with a lighter color blue dome (Blue greenish). Lexan eats candlepower: 85% loss for red, 60% blue IMS.

Jun 18, 2013
PA
I think the question that should really be asked here is, are you using the light for display? Or are you trying to be 100% correct. For Display the GE4416 lamps are my default, easier to located and less costly. If your looking to be using it, or period correct.. then the GE4464 lamps are you best bet.

4464s are not impossible to find, but $$. 4416 are still pretty common.. for now.

Duncanville1

Feb 6, 2012
Dallas
I am just using it for display. Have two twin's, one Visibar, & one aerodynamic with flashers, alleys, & takedowns. I assume all the sealed beams are PAR36's. Ordered a couple of the 4416's already as one of the Twin's has a failed bulb & a couple more for spares.

Jun 18, 2013
PA
Par36 is just the bulb size. you mainly have 2 bulb types.. Spot and Flood, spot will focus the light beam and are found in beacons, and items that act like a beacon. Flood's will scatter the light, and are usually the flashers or alleys found on aerodynics, and Twinsonics etc.

TBH the only people that will know if a bulb is correct or not are yourself, and us nuts on elb.. lol

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
For indoor display purposes, you definitely want to use 4416's. The 4464 bulbs will be much brighter, far brighter than needed for indoor display, and will double the amps required to power that TwinSonic. Go ahead, ask me how I know. ;)

Duncanville1

Feb 6, 2012
Dallas
I got everything wired up this weekend. Ended up the bulb was good but the contacts were just dirty. Powered everything with a deep cycle battery & switch panel, charging with a trickle charger. So far everything is working as expected. Christ the amount of amperage these things pull though. Have six halogen scene lights that can heat the garage when activated.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.