Type III vs. med. duty Ambulance chassis?

May 21, 2010
LKN, NC
So...I have a project that I need an old ambulance for. Right now I'm trying to decide what would be a more hassle-free chassis; Type III (Ford E-series), or medium-duty? For what I'm trying to do it won't be driven much, but needs to be able to easily be kept road worthy.

I imagine parts for an E-series are the easiest to come by, but does that make it a better project?

Help me pro/con this.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Ford e series, but only in 7.3L diesel. The 6.0 is problematic. Medium duty a freighter (pre DEF) is the pretty reliable, but you'll need to keep the air system primed.

Jul 14, 2014
NV
Run from the 6. oh no. The only time I've had an ambulance leave me stranded on the side of the road with a patient in the back, not once but twice. 7.3 motor, still running in our Type 6 brush engine, 150K on the clock and still runs great.

May 21, 2010
LKN, NC
Hm, well between your praises for the 7.3, and the overland RV community's I think I have a direction for my scavenger hunt! Just need to keep an eye out for a Ford 7.3 cutaway with a 14' box.

Also, can anybody give me any idea how big the inverters usually are? I don't know why, but 1200W keeps coming to mind.

Dave-O

Jun 11, 2010
Florida, USA
Smallest I've seen in an ambulance is 1000W (Yikes, the power supply in my computer is 1000W). Largest I've seen is 2800W. Be careful when buying though, many places remove the inverter with other working parts when they decommission the vehicle.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sanman

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.