Typhoon

CERT.Kev

Nov 29, 2021
I have a Feniex Typhoon 100w siren, And I'm having trouble clearing intersections and and especially on the highway people can't hear my siren. Is there a way to make this louder louder? More so I was wondering if I can add another 100 W speaker in parallel So I can aim one slightly left and 1 slightly right. Is that going to decrease the volume even more? Thank you in advance

• Haha
Reactions: Jarred J.

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
Welcome to the forum Kev. Lots of factors to consider here, including the current speaker placement. Can you share a photo of the placement so we can help you out? A 100w siren with 100w speaker should be sufficient.

Other factors to consider:
1. You can drive faster than the siren is projecting the sound out. Considering that you said this happens mainly on the highway this could be a very real possibility. I will try to find the study that mentions the approximate speed that a siren loses effectiveness because of this.
2. Perhaps more forward warning lighting is the actual solution you need to overcome number 1 above.
3. People are very distracted these days, cars are better insulated, and car stereos louder. You can't always overcome the human factor.

Reactions: CERT.Kev

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
what do you do in CERT that allows code 3 response? just curious..:cool:

CERT.Kev

Nov 29, 2021
Welcome to the forum Kev. Lots of factors to consider here, including the current speaker placement. Can you share a photo of the placement so we can help you out? A 100w siren with 100w speaker should be sufficient.

Other factors to consider:
1. You can drive faster than the siren is projecting the sound out. Considering that you said this happens mainly on the highway this could be a very real possibility. I will try to find the study that mentions the approximate speed that a siren loses effectiveness because of this.
2. Perhaps more forward warning lighting is the actual solution you need to overcome number 1 above.
3. People are very distracted these days, cars are better insulated, and car stereos louder. You can't always overcome the human factor.
Thank you for the warm welcome. This is the placement of the speaker.

what do you do in CERT that allows code 3 response? just curious..:cool:
I have a certified SAR K9, I'm allowed code when needed. I also used to be a K9 LEO.

Attachments

• 16382250307175634839534418004974.jpg
    16382250307175634839534418004974.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 10
  • 16382250483454253854776631473060.jpg
    16382250483454253854776631473060.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 10
Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Jarred J.

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
That location should allow good projection as it isn't obstructed by the bumper, a radiator, etc. My guess would be that an improved lighting setup would be more beneficial than the second speaker.

I can't find the specific article I am referencing about out driving your siren but here are a few points I quickly found:
Emergency vehicle operators must always be cognizant that they have little control over the way members of the public react to audible and visual warning devices.5 Studies have recognized that sirens are a limited warning device and effective only at very short ranges and low speeds.6 At speeds above 50 mph, an emergency vehicle may "outrun" the effective range of its audible warning device.7 In 1991, Drs. Robert De Lorenzo and Mark Eilers reported that U.S. Department of Transportation studies indicated that over a siren's effective frequency range, the average signal attenuation through closed windows resulted in a maximal effective siren-penetration distance of only 26-40 feet at urban intersections.8 Findings showed that sound penetration did not leave sufficient time for a driver to adequately respond to emergency warning signals.9 Siren tones are typically nondirectional, and the time taken to search for and locate the emergency vehicle after hearing the siren is a crucial factor in decreasing the reaction time. -

You need at least 75dBA of siren level to be audible through rolled up windows and over the car radio. In reality it might have to be 20dB higher if it's a boom car, or a Mercedes, or some other vehicle with very good sound isolation. The maximum warning distance you can get with a siren that begins with a 100dBA at 10' is about 160'.
At 30 MPH (44 ft/sec) closing speed that gives you about 4 seconds of warning for drivers ahead of you. At 60 MPH (88 feet per second) closing speed that only gives you 2 seconds of warning time. That's just the warning time for someone to begin to hear a siren, they still have to react and try to locate the emergency vehicle and then do something about it.
If the car has a loud audio system so that you needed 90dBA of siren level to be audible inside the car, then you only have about 35' of distance where the siren is loud enough to be heard inside the car. You're relying entirely on the flashing lights to warn the kid in the boom car, they likely won't even hear the air horn. At 30 MPH closing speed, that's less than 1 second for the driver to hear the siren and react. At 60 MPH closing speed that's less than 1/2 a second of warning time. - https://forums.firehouse.com/forum/...2-sirens-on-the-freeway?p=1172016#post1172016

CERT.Kev

Nov 29, 2021
That location should allow good projection as it isn't obstructed by the bumper, a radiator, etc. My guess would be that an improved lighting setup would be more beneficial than the second speaker.

I can't find the specific article I am referencing about out driving your siren but here are a few points I quickly found:
Emergency vehicle operators must always be cognizant that they have little control over the way members of the public react to audible and visual warning devices.5 Studies have recognized that sirens are a limited warning device and effective only at very short ranges and low speeds.6 At speeds above 50 mph, an emergency vehicle may "outrun" the effective range of its audible warning device.7 In 1991, Drs. Robert De Lorenzo and Mark Eilers reported that U.S. Department of Transportation studies indicated that over a siren's effective frequency range, the average signal attenuation through closed windows resulted in a maximal effective siren-penetration distance of only 26-40 feet at urban intersections.8 Findings showed that sound penetration did not leave sufficient time for a driver to adequately respond to emergency warning signals.9 Siren tones are typically nondirectional, and the time taken to search for and locate the emergency vehicle after hearing the siren is a crucial factor in decreasing the reaction time. -

You need at least 75dBA of siren level to be audible through rolled up windows and over the car radio. In reality it might have to be 20dB higher if it's a boom car, or a Mercedes, or some other vehicle with very good sound isolation. The maximum warning distance you can get with a siren that begins with a 100dBA at 10' is about 160'.
At 30 MPH (44 ft/sec) closing speed that gives you about 4 seconds of warning for drivers ahead of you. At 60 MPH (88 feet per second) closing speed that only gives you 2 seconds of warning time. That's just the warning time for someone to begin to hear a siren, they still have to react and try to locate the emergency vehicle and then do something about it.
If the car has a loud audio system so that you needed 90dBA of siren level to be audible inside the car, then you only have about 35' of distance where the siren is loud enough to be heard inside the car. You're relying entirely on the flashing lights to warn the kid in the boom car, they likely won't even hear the air horn. At 30 MPH closing speed, that's less than 1 second for the driver to hear the siren and react. At 60 MPH closing speed that's less than 1/2 a second of warning time. - https://forums.firehouse.com/forum/...2-sirens-on-the-freeway?p=1172016#post1172016
Wow that a lot of information! Thank you for that!

C17LVFD

May 21, 2010
Harrisburg, PA
Honestly the Dynamax’s I found had poor performance.

Put a TS100 in or an AS124 and I think you’ll notice a difference.

Either will need you to take off the front bumper but the Tahoe/suburban of that era were pretty easy to take off once you know where everything is.

I had dual AS124’s in mine once upon a time and there was zero problem hearing me.

Good luck,
Seth

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.