Unitrol 300/5

greystone

Jun 9, 2015
Agua Dulce, CA
Hi,

I have a 1967 International Harvester Loadstar Brush Unit that I am rebuilding.  It has a Unitrol 300/5 unit in place that currently runs the front and rear flashers (position 1 drives the rears, position 2 runs both front and rear).  I am thinking position 3 runs front, rears and the light bar (an Aerodynic 24EAH that I hope to find.....somewhere)?

Now I'm not sure, but I am thinking the rocker drives the siren?  I picked up a Federal Signal CP25 with a 100 Watt Driver, I'm not sure that is too big of a unit for the Unitrol.  Maybe the rocker runs the microphone??

There is a hole in the dash that may have held another unit that drove the siren, if this is not the guy.  So maybe I need to look for something else....

awww.greystoneland.com_IH_FireTruck_Unitrol_300_5.jpg
 ​
  So any help or documentation would be appreciated!!

Thanks ever-so.....Bob

Scoot163

Nov 15, 2013
Tacoma, WA
You will likely have to use relays because the progressive switch will be close to or over its max amps when the Aero is going with a siren.  The unit itself is just a switch controller and has no siren amp built in. The rocker switch is a 10 amp accessory switch that you can assign to whatever function you wish. Again, over 10 amps you will have to use a relay.

Hopefully the attached file will give you some help.

UNITROL U330-55.pdf 

Attachments

• UNITROL U330-55.pdf
    646 KB · Views: 13

greystone

Jun 9, 2015
Agua Dulce, CA
You will likely have to use relays because the progressive switch will be close to or over its max amps when the Aero is going with a siren.  The unit itself is just a switch controller and has no siren amp built in. The rocker switch is a 10 amp accessory switch that you can assign to whatever function you wish. Again, over 10 amps you will have to use a relay.

attachicon.gif
UNITROL U330-55.pdf
Why thank you Scoot163!!  This is awesome, I really needed the pin-out (screw-out?) diagram to know how to wire this up, I've been afraid to try anything as I would hate to fry something!

Any suggestions on a siren amp?

Thanks again! 

Bob

greystone

Jun 9, 2015
Agua Dulce, CA
MtnMan,

Thanks for the document!  Scoot163 sent me another one, but they have different information, so they are both very useful to me.

I will look into that 80K unit, I will measure the hole in the dash to see what the dimensions are.  Then I will try and figure out how to PM you!!

Thanks....

bob

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
Is the truck going back into service or are you doing a vintage restoration?

greystone

Jun 9, 2015
Agua Dulce, CA
Is the truck going back into service or are you doing a vintage restoration?
I am trying to restore it, the Chief down in Sierra Madre wants me to bring it down for thier parade, I doubt if it will be this year!  I still need to get a Class C license to drive it (I think that's the one) as it has air brakes.

But.....I live in what they call 'Fire Zone 4' and we have all sorts of fires up here (my neighbor across the street has had 3 in the last few years) so I am bringing it up to full functionality so I am ready to go if needed.  The local county FD takes up to 20 minutes to respond around here!  I've fought a few brush fires up in Easter Washington in my day.....

And then I need something to drive down to the Market to pick up my beer too.

Yesterday I found a turnout coat from Sierra Madre FD, so I'm building up the toys that I will need.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Body-Guard-Firefighter-Turnout-gear-jacket-with-liner-Sierra-Madre-fire-dept-/252008234620

I have most of the hose and fittings I need too.  I do still need some 4" suction hose so I can draw off my 14,000 gallon water tank.

So I'm not sure which I'm looking more forward to, driving in a parade or putting my neighbors tractor fire out!  No wait, it'll be the beer runs.....

Reactions: Mattdecker

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
If you want an 80K siren that's fine, but I think a Unitrol 800 would be closer to being period correct for a late 1960s restoration.   I believe the 800 was introduced in the late 1960s and was in production well into the 1970s.  The wail and yelp tones are not as high-pitched as the 80K, and it is a combination light control / siren/ amplifier unit.  

Reactions: denko3

danwestbrook

Sep 1, 2018
California
Can you repost - files are not downloading. I am trying to re-use an older selector and could really use the wiring diagram and installation guides.

You will likely have to use relays because the progressive switch will be close to or over its max amps when the Aero is going with a siren. The unit itself is just a switch controller and has no siren amp built in. The rocker switch is a 10 amp accessory switch that you can assign to whatever function you wish. Again, over 10 amps you will have to use a relay.

UNITROL U330-55.pdf

Tango7

Jul 7, 2020
Chicago Metro Area

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bassslogic

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.