Unitrol 80K Kawasaki Connections

Ron_Swanson

Feb 4, 2020
Cornwall, UK
Hi all, I've recently acquired a '78 Kawasaki KZ1000-C1A which I'm trying to restore fully back to it's original CHP spec including installing the siren the bike would have had.

I've found that the Unitrol 80K would have been the unit in use at the time and have purchased one, however I am struggling to find what connections would have been used. The bike comes with 4 connections from the factory for use with the siren, (a live, ground, wail on and momentary yelp), and from the Unitrol 80K manual I am aware that there is a specific harness for the Kawasaki bikes, (UMCO83), however I have not been able to find one of these and the Unitrol manual does not elaborate on the connections in this harness.

My question is, does anyone here know which connections need to be made from the factory wiring into the 80K to work correctly with the bikes handlebar switches? Thanks in advance

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
Part of the trouble you're having may be because of the part number you're searching for. I think it's UMC083, a numeral zero, not a letter O. Other than that, I don't have much to contribute. Good luck in your search.

Ron_Swanson

Feb 4, 2020
Cornwall, UK
Part of the trouble you're having may be because of the part number you're searching for. I think it's UMC083, a numeral zero, not a letter O. Other than that, I don't have much to contribute. Good luck in your search.
Much appreciated shues, I’ll keep a look out on google/eBay for a zero!

MtnMan

Dec 20, 2012
Eastern PA
You can cut off the connectors on the control end of the cable and make the following connections to the cycle's wiring:

Positive to the red wire
Negative to the black wire
Speaker to the brown wires (pins 4 and 8 in the 12-pin plug)
Wail switch to the orange wire (pin 7)
Yelp momentary switch to the white wire (pin 3)

Reactions: Ron_Swanson

Ron_Swanson

Feb 4, 2020
Cornwall, UK
That’s great thanks MtnMan! I’ve got a new set of connectors coming to save cutting up the original connectors but I’ll try and jury rig it for now to get it working, thanks again!

Tech866

Oct 16, 2020
Visalia, CA
Hi all, I've recently acquired a '78 Kawasaki KZ1000-C1A which I'm trying to restore fully back to it's original CHP spec including installing the siren the bike would have had.

I've found that the Unitrol 80K would have been the unit in use at the time and have purchased one, however I am struggling to find what connections would have been used. The bike comes with 4 connections from the factory for use with the siren, (a live, ground, wail on and momentary yelp), and from the Unitrol 80K manual I am aware that there is a specific harness for the Kawasaki bikes, (UMCO83), however I have not been able to find one of these and the Unitrol manual does not elaborate on the connections in this harness.

My question is, does anyone here know which connections need to be made from the factory wiring into the 80K to work correctly with the bikes handlebar switches? Thanks in advance
Do you still need a UMC083?
I may have one, where are you Located?

Tech866

Oct 16, 2020
Visalia, CA
Here’s a better picture

Attachments

• BC471ED2-8B46-4A35-8F99-382D575CDA3D.jpeg
    BC471ED2-8B46-4A35-8F99-382D575CDA3D.jpeg
    94.8 KB · Views: 17
  • B35D810E-AC9B-4C87-A2B4-7C8FCF0B870B.jpeg
    B35D810E-AC9B-4C87-A2B4-7C8FCF0B870B.jpeg
    83.9 KB · Views: 18

Ron_Swanson

Feb 4, 2020
Cornwall, UK
That definitely looks a bit more complicated than I was thinking and hoping, so much for making my own!

If you're willing to sell then drop me a PM and we can discuss price etc.

Thanks for the photos

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.