Unitrol Omega to be Discontinued May 2016

emcom

Apr 12, 2011
Huntsville, AL
With their declining popularity, I knew this was coming. They would not keep the features up to date with current vehicle circuitry and design. For instance, you have to buy another company's part to make it work right on the Dodge Charger due to horn ring voltage changes. Vehicles are changing. I still run an Omega on my unit, but the radio shop teases me about running stone age equipment in a modern car. I like it because that it what my first patrol car assigned to me out of the academy had back in the 90s. It was the only one in our fleet and was different than all the others that had PA300s or Smith and Wesson.

http://www.fedsig.com/docs/MU579_Omega_Siren_Discontinued9-15.pdf

Last edited by a moderator:

MtnMan

Dec 20, 2012
Eastern PA
Too bad, but not too surprising. Unitrol products are very well engineered, and they were cutting edge 30 years ago, but like emcom said, not competitive in the current market.

And those unique Unitrol tones... fun to play with, but most of them them I wouldn't use in public.

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
I like the sound of the Unitrol Omega wail tone a lot better than the 80K series.

emcom

Apr 12, 2011
Huntsville, AL
I've had the 80K type wail tone on a Touchmaster. It got attention quicker than the Omega it seemed. The yelps are about the same though. I liked the switches better on the Omega. I use them for the arrowstick control, since my car is a slicktop and doesn't have alleys or takedowns. The AS-124 speaker does a great job.

ai494.photobucket.com_albums_rr304_Officer512_OmegaConsole1.jpg

Switch 3 is left arrow <<<<<, 4 is right >>>>>, 3+4 is inside out pattern <<<<<>>>>>

Last edited by a moderator:

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
The 80K wail sounds more aggressive and screamy to my ears.   The Omega wail is more subdued.

Black Hoe

May 21, 2010
Long Island, NY
I've been running Unitrol sirens for 30+ years. They are best sounding sirens out there in my opinion and the original Touchmasters, Omegas and 80K's are extremely reliable. Sorry to hear that Federal is doing this but I wasn't a big fan of Unitrol being bought out by them years ago.

Reactions: emcom

Sigma Safety

May 21, 2010
western Canada
I upgraded the firmware in my SSP3000 a few months ago and now have pretty much only the Unitrol tones in it. I don't think the Unitrol tones will disappear from the product line, just the Unitrol sirens themselves.

The main reason that the Unitrol sirens are starting to disappear is parts shortages. There are certain parts on the boards inside the sirens that have been (or are going to shortly be) discontinued by the manufacturers that make these individual board components. If there is not a suitable replacement, then the siren must be completely re-designed, or discontinued.

Reactions: emcom

Unitroler

Mar 17, 2016
Virginia
I've had the 80K type wail tone on a Touchmaster. It got attention quicker than the Omega it seemed. The yelps are about the same though. I liked the switches better on the Omega. I use them for the arrowstick control, since my car is a slicktop and doesn't have alleys or takedowns. The AS-124 speaker does a great job.

View attachment 196938

How did you get the red lights inside to turn on?

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.