Unity collection

Black Hoe

May 21, 2010
Long Island, NY
I always loved the Unity Beacons. The local county PD used to run a Unity "Visibar" styled bar with twin 2 bulb beacons (not synched) using Red Spitfire domes which gave off a very distinct visual back in the 70's. The center of the bar had a Unity chrome plated speaker similar to a CP-25 and the siren unit was a Unitrol Model 800.

Reactions: Pimp

Pimp

May 16, 2010
Louisiana
No Unity collection is complete without a SPITFIRE dome!!! 

UnityRVs.jpg

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
No Unity collection is complete without a SPITFIRE dome!!! 

attachicon.gif
UnityRVs.jpg
You're a man after my own heart on that one, Pimp.  When I worked at AID Ambulance in Lubbock we began using low top Suburbans in the early '70s built by the Gordon K. Allen Co. of Dallas, the parent company of the short-lived Modular Ambulance Corp.  The low top Suburban  used by AID were equipped with four red DoRay lollipops across front of the cab with a pair of CP25 speakers in between the lollipops powered by Federal Directors, and each had the larger PAR46 Unity Spitfire beacons.  AID kept  the Suburbans in service until the late '80s when the state started forcing us out of low top vehicles.

Reactions: Wigwam700

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
That's a good start, Big D.  Around here, Unity RV-25's were commonly found on DOT trucks, but that was during the 70's and 80's.  Beginning in the 1990's, VDOT switched to strobes.   VDOT seems to be using the Federal Target Tech Turbo Flash strobe bar these days.  The RV-25's are all gone.

Reactions: 7d9_z28

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
That's a good start, Big D.  Around here, Unity RV-25's were commonly found on DOT trucks, but that was during the 70's and 80's.  Beginning in the 1990's, VDOT switched to strobes.   VDOT seems to be using the Federal Target Tech Turbo Flash strobe bar these days.  The RV-25's are all gone.
You ought to see some of the TXDOT trucks that I see on I20 all the time.  They're using Code 3 LED bars with amber/blue LEDs.  At a distance the amber can be mistaken for red and it looks like the DPS bars I've seen recently.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bassslogic

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.