Unity SiTron Siren

upnorth896

Dec 13, 2011
MI
Can anybody post some pics of the Unity SiTron Sirens. I tried the seach function, but couldn't locate any pictures. I knew they were around in the early 1970's and the earlier ones had push buttons. Thanks for the help.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
upnorth896 said:
Can anybody post some pics of the Unity SiTron Sirens. I tried the seach function, but couldn't locate any pictures. I knew they were around in the early 1970's and the earlier ones had push buttons. Thanks for the help.

I have two Sitrons....one of the originals, and the SiTron II, which looks like a smaller version of a PA200. The sound of the original pushbutton model was awesome, especially the Fast Wail function. And they were reasonably priced. However they were flawed, which is why they didn't last all that long. First, the case and pushbuttons were all plastic, hence a bit of shoddy construction. And it seems that they used outsourced output transistors, as they blew quite easily. But that having been said, when they worked....they were loud! I managed to obtain a rebuilt original SiTron direct from Unity for $50 and it actually turned out to be a workhorse! We used it on a couple of different ambulances between 1980 and 1985. The first install was on a 1972 hightop Superior/Cadillac ambulance. Superior put a small "hump" over the cab for a lighted "ambulance" sign, and on top of that hump twin speakers along with a Q or other motor siren could be mounted. The original owners had a pair of CP25 speakers powered by a PA15 Director with a Q in the middle; but when we got the car all the lights and the sirens were gone. We went back with a pair of TS100 speakers and a Q, along with triple beacons on the hightop. Now that Caddie had twin batteries and a 150-Amp Leece-Neville alternator, so there was no problem in powering the lights and siren. It was something else to run the SiTron on yelp and let loose on the Q at the same time. However, that SiTron was loud enough on its own that the Q wasn't always necessary. Back to the case problems: on one ambulance run we were running the siren on yelp (this was the last vehicle, a Type II van) on the way to a fire call. When I went to change from yelp to wail, all of the buttons suddenly flew off and I was just barely able to access the manual function. Sad end to such a workhorse, but we got nearly 6 years out of it!

Don't have any current pix of either of them, and don't have any way of posting them here if I did. I might be able to take some and send via snail-mail. Keep your eye on Ebay as they turn up there every so often.

drb

May 23, 2010
Southern California

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.