Unity spotlight, is there a real world difference between left & right?

K9Vic

May 23, 2010
Fort Worth, TX
I was wondering if there is a real world difference between a left and right spotlight from Unity for vehicles. Looking at Unity they always show different part numbers for the left and right. Looking at parts some of the replacement shafts show LH & RH, so I am guessing that is the only difference.

So one cannot just put a Left spot on the right to fit into the RH bracket. So to put a LH spotlight on the RH side, you need to replace the outside shaft, correct?

Yeah I know I can call Unity & I likely answered my own question, but there is no rush and someone here will likely know the answer for sure.

Pete L.

May 21, 2010
Virginia (south/central)
I can only speak of the older/vintage stuff........... the only different part was the mount that attached to the outside of the post.

The shaft was the same, I believe, on the older stuff.

I could be wrong.............................My memory isn't what it used to be.

-Pete

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
I think the only difference is the mount kit itself... The light assembly (light head, shaft, handle) should all be the same...

UnityUSA

Nov 25, 2015
Chicago IL
Sorry know this is old post, but saw it and wanted to clarify. Some spotlights are interchangeable and can be used on either right or left side. Some spotlights are specific to side of the vehicle. Rule of thumb is spotlights with a letter in the part number (A, B, C, CL, DC, F, FL, FP, G, GM, H, K, MS, N, O, OS, P, PL, V) then it is a standard spotlight and unless there is a specific exception for that vehicle, the light can be used on either side as long the correct bracket is used. Theses spotlights would be ones like 325GM, 330B, 340CL, 225A, 250H-H. If the spotlight part number is all numbers (Crown Victoria spotlight is 94014) a special spotlight had to be designed that is both specific to the vehicle and the side of the vehicle. 94014 would be used on driver side and 94015 would be used on passenger side of Crown Vic. Driver side lights tend to end with even number (94014) and odd numbers on passenger side (94015). These special lights were determined a necessity either by our application engineers or by working with engineers at vehicle manufacturers. They involve special rotation, gearing, sweated bushing locations. If any clarification is needed please feel free to ask. Correct spotlight and installation kits for a vehicle can be searched for here: http://search.unityusa.com/application.php

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
Sorry know this is old post, but saw it and wanted to clarify. Some spotlights are interchangeable and can be used on either right or left side. Some spotlights are specific to side of the vehicle. Rule of thumb is spotlights with a letter in the part number (A, B, C, CL, DC, F, FL, FP, G, GM, H, K, MS, N, O, OS, P, PL, V) then it is a standard spotlight and unless there is a specific exception for that vehicle, the light can be used on either side as long the correct bracket is used. Theses spotlights would be ones like 325GM, 330B, 340CL, 225A, 250H-H. If the spotlight part number is all numbers (Crown Victoria spotlight is 94014) a special spotlight had to be designed that is both specific to the vehicle and the side of the vehicle. 94014 would be used on driver side and 94015 would be used on passenger side of Crown Vic. Driver side lights tend to end with even number (94014) and odd numbers on passenger side (94015). These special lights were determined a necessity either by our application engineers or by working with engineers at vehicle manufacturers. They involve special rotation, gearing, sweated bushing locations. If any clarification is needed please feel free to ask. Correct spotlight and installation kits for a vehicle can be searched for here: http://search.unityusa.com/application.php

It's still great that this reply was made. Answering old posts is still helpful because the info is now able to be google searched, and anyone can get the full correct answer. Thanks!

Reactions: UnityUSA

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.