Unmarked Dodge Charger New York City (Looks non legit)

Quickstep80

May 30, 2012
Europe
Strange. All Blue + Siren in NYC??

(But you can hardly tell if the lights are really on anyway, so what ^^)

nblaser

Nov 22, 2011
Colorado
Maybe he or she is late for a meeting... Or its the taliban

VolEms

May 24, 2010
NY, USA
Looks like a Blue slimmiser and a STL siren. It doesnt look legit to me at all. If it were the feds he would have Red/Blue. Notice how 0.16 he shuts his lights off. I think its just somone getting through traffic.

hoj1192

Nov 8, 2011
NYC,NY
Its actually a personal or take home car of an ATF Agent they had the car on show at national night against crime last year on staten island. As for the lights theres 4 red/blue miniphantoms 2 front 2 back and a sho-me siren

Alboy29

Aug 8, 2011
United STates, New York
hoj1192 said:
Its actually a personal or take home car of an ATF Agent they had the car on show at national night against crime last year on staten island. As for the lights theres 4 red/blue miniphantoms 2 front 2 back and a sho-me siren

I saw them the other day, think they upgraded the Lighting package.... :crazy:

May 22, 2010
New York City
reminds me of the tahoe that i assisted the other day at a MVA, it was a DEA/NYPD joint unit takehome, horrible mix of lights and a siren from 1980

VolEms

May 24, 2010
NY, USA
hoj1192 said:

I would love to see pics of that. In the vid I didn't see any LEDs in the rear and no red to the front. Why can't the Feds get it right.

Quickstep80

May 30, 2012
Europe
Probably. I've even had such one as a rental car some time ago over there. :cool: Pity it came without lights and siren.

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
I'm just gonna say federal because there is like a million federal agencies in NYC and who knows who it belongs too, and the tint is pretty thick so hard to really tell what the light colors are, blue would probably show up better through tint then red anyways.

efdny2003

Apr 18, 2011
united states, ny
SBFD-E-9 said:
What the hell did I just watch?? What an unsafe vehicle to be responding in.

It's definitely hard to tell what color or how many lights this car has other than the headlights and tail lights, but what makes it an unsafe car to respond in? What's different from this to an agency that may only use headlight and tail light flashers and a single dash light?

SBFD-E-9

May 24, 2010
Washington IL
efdny2003 said:
It's definitely hard to tell what color or how many lights this car has other than the headlights and tail lights, but what makes it an unsafe car to respond in? What's different from this to an agency that may only use headlight and tail light flashers and a single dash light?

I suppose that is just my opinion. I feel that a vehicle should be well lit if you are going to be running code. You can hardly see the colored lights on this car (could just be the camera) and I don't see ANY side warning. I wouldn't risk my life to drive that car code.

Dan

TheGatekeeper

Jun 19, 2010
France
SBFD-E-9 said:
I suppose that is just my opinion. I feel that a vehicle should be well lit if you are going to be running code. You can hardly see the colored lights on this car (could just be the camera) and I don't see ANY side warning. I wouldn't risk my life to drive that car code.

Dan

IMO there is "running code" and "running code".

A patrol unit responding to a 911 call is to transport itself asap to its destination. Same for paramedics ro ambulance. Each minute counts, lives could be at stake.

And then there is the need to keep moving when the traffic is not, in order to arrive at destination quick. Yet a couple minutes more or less won't make a diff, and nobody will die as a result...

We never run code in a life or death situation, but oftentimes we need to be moving no matter what. Our cars are thus "lightly" equipped (by American standards), and it's really up to who's behind the wheel to drive in a safe yet rapid fashion, taking in account the surrounding traffic and one's car available emergency equipment.

So I don't agree either that this Charger is under-equipped. It must be driven accordingly to what equipment it bears. No matter what, the driver makes the difference.

NYBLS

Oct 13, 2010
NY,USA
TheGatekeeper said:
IMO there is "running code" and "running code".
A patrol unit responding to a 911 call is to transport itself asap to its destination. Same for paramedics ro ambulance. Each minute counts, lives could be at stake.

And then there is the need to keep moving when the traffic is not, in order to arrive at destination quick. Yet a couple minutes more or less won't make a diff, and nobody will die as a result...

We never run code in a life or death situation, but oftentimes we need to be moving no matter what. Our cars are thus "lightly" equipped (by American standards), and it's really up to who's behind the wheel to drive in a safe yet rapid fashion, taking in account the surrounding traffic and one's car available emergency equipment.

So I don't agree either that this Charger is under-equipped. It must be driven accordingly to what equipment it bears. No matter what, the driver makes the difference.

Is the vehicle passing cars and going through intersections? Then it's running code and needs appropriate lighting for that.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
TheGatekeeper said:
No matter what, the driver makes the difference.

Unfortunately, I wish that was always the case. Yes, the driver plays a very significant role in safe response, but (no matter how observant we are while driving) we cannot always account for every dumb ass driver out there that could cause an accident. I understand that you're accustomed to less lighting in France, but in the US (especially as someone that has personally driven Code 3 in New York for 4 years), a simple beacon light on the roof or a the dash light/grill light combo without full 360 warning (which appear to be 2 of the more common variations of how unmarked units are equipped when I'm in Europe visiting family) is not sufficient when you have to deal with ultra-aggressive, idiotic, and stupid drivers from the tri-state area. An effective, solid 360 warning package is crucial in NYC, and unfortunately, I think this needs improvement.

Unfortunately, it's hard to say what looks like a legit LE vehicle. Yes, there are some setups/equipment (i.e. secret service w/ pitch black suburbans and 2 full R/B light bars), driving styles (i.e. NYPD units driving code while using sporadic quick "taps" on the smart siren hyper yelp) that are typical of an agency and can give us a clue as to who is likely driving that vehicle, but there are so many federal agencies and task forces out there (USMS, ICE, DEA, ATF, etc.) that it's hard to say what looks legit and what doesn't. The Driver of the charger may have a shitty setup (in the eyes of us whackers that know lighting) but he still may very well be a Federal LEO. It would be nice if the government had a standard for vehicle lighting that was accepted across all its federal agencies (kinda like an NFPA 1901) so, while each agency doesn't have to have identical setups, there will be certain minimum standards (i.e. TRUE 360 visibility). Unfortunately, that's just a dream in my faintest imagination lol.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jeremy0966

Aug 12, 2012
Idaho
I thought this was particularity odd. No red or anything to the front seems a little weird even for a UC. But that's New York for ya. I didn't see anything wrong with the charger other then the dash light trying and failing at punching through the tint.

Alboy29

Aug 8, 2011
United STates, New York
yeah, NYC is the hardest to tell. you simply never know who is who. Also another thing i have noticed, is some Cops, and federal agents, (non light lovers like us) Simply dont know how to use what the vehicle is equipped with sometimes, and cant notice when a light is working the way it should. I have seen Dozens of times PD cars with The light bar on, with Front Flash (back is cut-out) or unmarkeds responding, only with The rear deck lgihts on. Some people just dont Notice lol

but i agree that Charger needs some help.

TheGatekeeper

Jun 19, 2010
France
pdk9 said:
Unfortunately, I wish that was always the case. Yes, the driver plays a very significant role in safe response, but (no matter how observant we are while driving) we cannot always account for every dumb ass driver out there that could cause an accident. I understand that you're accustomed to less lighting in France, but in the US (especially as someone that has personally driven Code 3 in New York for 4 years), a simple beacon light on the roof or a the dash light/grill light combo without full 360 warning (which appear to be 2 of the more common variations of how unmarked units are equipped when I'm in Europe visiting family) is not sufficient when you have to deal with ultra-aggressive, idiotic, and stupid drivers from the tri-state area. An effective, solid 360 warning package is crucial in NYC, and unfortunately, I think this needs improvement.that's just a dream in my faintest imagination lol.

I thought that was Paris you were describing. ;)

Same crowd here. Drivers for whom driving becomes a second or third priority while operating a motor vehicle, after texting, phoning, emailing, and so on....

TheGatekeeper

Jun 19, 2010
France
Jeremy0966 said:
I thought this was particularity odd. No red or anything to the front seems a little weird even for a UC. But that's New York for ya. I didn't see anything wrong with the charger other then the dash light trying and failing at punching through the tint.

ACU. "Run Silent, Run Deep".

Anticrime units here often move that way when responding to certain types of calls.

Teardrop comes up on the dash only long enough to clear an intersection. Siren whoops only when absolutely necessary.

Same for surveillance teams. They might light up for seconds in order not to lose momentum on a "cutting run", but will just revert to unconspicuous mode asap.

VolEms

May 24, 2010
NY, USA
I think this Impala is legit NYPD. Look closely and there is an RMP responding to the same job. I think he had his SS2000 in position 2 by mistake so his grill lights were off.

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
TheGatekeeper said:
No matter what, the driver makes the difference.

Yes indeed, but just like LEOs must train with their handcuffs, less-than-lethal options, firearms, and other equipment... they should have to train with modern warning equipment. Long gone are the days of turning on the MX7000 and forgetting about it until the call is over. (No disrespect to MX7k lovers, they're great bars!)

TheGatekeeper said:
ACU. "Run Silent, Run Deep".

Anyone here wearing fish? Where's that ChevyMano guy at?

Philly369

Feb 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
foxtrot5 said:
Yes indeed, but just like LEOs must train with their handcuffs, less-than-lethal options, firearms, and other equipment... they should have to train with modern warning equipment. Long gone are the days of turning on the MX7000 and forgetting about it until the call is over. (No disrespect to MX7k lovers, they're great bars!)

Anyone here wearing fish? Where's that ChevyMano guy at?

Sometimes we're lucky enough for other cops to even show up...and half the equipment doesn't work anyway. Take the car down to get it fixed and they take weeks to do it sometimes. Took a few cars down to get fixed and they never came back.

vc859

Oct 31, 2010
USA/ New York
VolEms said:
I think this Impala is legit NYPD. Look closely and there is an RMP responding to the same job. I think he had his SS2000 in position 2 by mistake so his grill lights were off.

Either that or they are broken, knowing the maintenance condition of most NYPD vehicles

TheGatekeeper

Jun 19, 2010
France
Or the crew is deliberately moving in as unconspicuously as the surroundings allow, ACU-style.

Moe24

Apr 2, 2013
Queens, NY
That charger maybe legit NYPD. They rent/lease cars that I have towed for the leasing company. Usually their is only a tear drop or a slimlighter. I have seen Some where the operatorers have taken it upon themselves and paid for some lighting package. Nothing crazy HLF, HAW front and rear, something on the dash.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.