Unmarked Miami Police Car Responding

Jan 4, 2012
Central, Florida
SightsOnTarget said:
By the way, unmarked police vehicles and K9 vehicles are EXEMPT from window tinting laws in Florida.

they sure are.. its a FL statue :thumbsup: also people with skin disease or an albino

rsmartin

Aug 17, 2011
Stamford NY
JohnMarcson said:
The running board stuff is wasted and could have been better spent on other key areas.

I read that and was like ?? What running board lights ..... had to replay the video and look for them.

jprleedy4680

Jan 27, 2011
N. Michigan
Zapp Brannigan said:
It is the CHANGE in pitch that the human ear notices, not simply the high, or low frequency(-ies).

Allowing a Q to wind up AND down for proper/best effectiveness.

For example, below is IMPROPER use of a Q siren.

ow...oW...Ow...OW.....!!!

I love the Q, but come on...let it and your alternator rest!

I too used to be trigger happy with my siren, but then I utilized tactics I learned on here from the response video thread, and I've actually had more success with less sound activity. It's a lot easier on the ears, too.

Last edited by a moderator:

RJ*

May 21, 2010
Finland
SightsOnTarget said:
By the way, unmarked police vehicles and K9 vehicles are EXEMPT from window tinting laws in Florida.

So the car with all tinted windows is the police one? Might as well just be marked then.

irsa76

May 24, 2010
Australia, NSW
Lot of pecker waving here.

The lighting package makes it look like a POV rather then an actual department vehicle, that said one of my local departments' traffic cars look like rolling christmas trees.

At least the lighting is actually visible. My immediate local department's detective car still use an ancient dash strobe light, can't recall who makes it but I swear they've had the same light in use for 20 years!

TheGatekeeper

Jun 19, 2010
France
SightsOnTarget said:
No offense... but you guys from Europe just don't get it do you?

No offense taken.

It's probably because of our poor command of the English language. ;)

Okay, seriously now... back to the facts:

I never questioned SOT's knowledge of Fl traffic regs, to which frankly I don't give a rat's kidney about. The statement I wrote was irrelevant was :

"The windshield is tinted because it is an unmarked unit! NOT a marked police car." Quote/Unquote SOT.

- Irrelevant because the conversation was about the fact that the Impala's windshield might have been indeed tinted, or if it were merely an impression induced by the fact that all other windows were heavily tinted. It was therefore mentioned that tinted windshields were hardly heard of, and PROBABLY illegal anyway.The fact that the car was an unmarked unit was not questioned.

- The cause/consequence link established here makes no sense. Cause : police unmarked. Consequence : tinted windshield. I fail to see the logic as well as the relation between theses two facts and merely stated so.

As RJ ventured, does it mean all cars with tinted windows are unmarked units then ?

There ya go Gents... a little clarificationnever hurts.

Hugs to you all from Beautiful France.

Over and out on this thread.

Sam

Last edited by a moderator:
Sep 18, 2011
Florida
TheGatekeeper said:
No offense taken.
It's probably because our poor command of the English language. ;)

Okay, seriously now... back to the facts:

I never questioned SOT's knowledge of Fl traffic regs, to which frankly I don't give a rat's kidney about. The statement I wrote was irrelevant was :

"The windshield is tinted because it is an unmarked unit! NOT a marked police car." Quote/Unquote SOT.

- Irrelevant because the conversation was about the fact that the Impala's windshield might have been indeed tinted, or if it were merely an impression induced by the fact that all other windows were heavily tinted. It was therefore mentioned that tinted windshields were hardly heard of, and PROBABLY illegal anyway.The fact that the car was an unmarked unit was not questioned.

- The cause/consequence link established here makes no sense. Cause : police unmarked. Consequence : tinted windshield. I fail to see the logic as well as the relation between theses two facts and merely stated so.

As RJ ventured, does it mean all cars with tinted windows are unmarked units then ?

There ya go Gents... a little clarificationnever hurts.

Hugs to you all from Beautiful France.

Over and out on this thread.

Sam

Here in South Florida, many unmarked police cars will have very dark tinted windows along with the front windshield tinted. It is very common as they do not want to be noticed (ever try doing crime suppression or narcotics in a marked unit or car with no tints where they can SEE you in uniform? Or what about doing surveillance?). It is not hardly heard of, or illegal for police vehicles.

Now, there are cars out there that have tints that are darker than state law allows. Sometime they will also have tinted windshields. Yes, its illegal unless it meets the requirements of Florida tint laws. Newsflash: people break the law.

nypd-hire

May 25, 2010
Leicestershire, UK
C420sailor said:
Who really needs anything more than wail, yelp?

Agree with all the comments about siren usage. When I was taught to drive response (Code 3) we were told that Wail was best for long, fast stretches of road because the sound travels further, then change to Yelp for junctions / intersections. The change of tone seems to attract driver's attention more. Use of airhorn is fine, but at least let the other tones get people's attention.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sanman

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.