Unmarked Police Cars on TV and their Dashlights

Rhinojoe

May 26, 2010
Exempt
Just wanted to help out the board and put together a list of vintage dash lights that were used dipicting differerent unmaked Police Cars and their agenies by Movie and TV Show. I'll try to go from oldest to newest;

Note please chime in with corrections and or additions

1)Dragnet 1967 LAPD 1964 Ford Fairlane. Handheld 12v Spotlight with rear C handle and red filter(manufacture unknown).(edit vehicle modele)

2)Dirty Harry in Magnum Force 1973 SFPD 197? Ford Galaxie Sedan with a 12V Unity Handheld spotlight(Unknown bulb #) hung from the passenger visor.

3) Dirty Harry in Sudden Impact SDPD 1974(?) Plymouth Satellite Unity folding red spot on driver's A-pillar

3) Boys on the Hood 1991 LAPD 1986 Chvy Impala flip down red halogen light passenger side

4) Heat 1995 1992 LAPD Crown Victoria with a single Red Dash Master Strobe on passenger side visor.

IMCDb.org: 1992 Ford Crown Victoria LX in "Heat, 1995"

Next

Last edited by a moderator:

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
Kojak would be NYPD and he used a Federal Signal FireBall.

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
Lt. Castillo on Miami Vice (Metro-Dade PD) used a Federal FireBall II.

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
dmathieu said:
Blue Fire Ball used by Buford Pusser in the original Walking Tall.

And also used a Tripp Lite teardrop in the 3rd movie.

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
Rhinojoe said:
1)Dragnet 1967 LAPD 1964 Ford Thunderbird. Handheld 12v Spotlight with rear C handle and red filter(manufacture unknown).

I don't remember a T-Bird, I think it was usually a Fairlane

Mndlm

Jun 14, 2010
Minnesota
"Colors" with Robert Duvall & Sean Penn's Caprice and Fury also used the flipped down also.

Starts at the 44 second mark:

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
Generous use of traffic backers, HLF's and Sho Me halogens in The Negotiator, 1998.

i234086.jpg

i233910.jpg

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
dmathieu said:
Hunter used a Federal Fire Ball, a Vitalite, and a Whelen DMS as throw lights.

Hunter1.jpg

Hunter2.jpg

flahotrod

Aug 1, 2011
Florida
CHIEFOPS said:
I don't remember a T-Bird, I think it was usually a Fairlane

Pretty sure it was a '67 Fairlane in all the Dragnet episodes. I have no idea what they used in the 50's version.

Police story used a variety of lights, including Fireballs and hanging steady-burns

Starsky & Hutch used Fireballs and Flashballs.

Rhinojoe

May 26, 2010
Exempt

Richard P

May 23, 2010
Sudbury, On

FSEP

Nov 11, 2012
DE
Kind of off topic, but I hate it when theres a cop going code on tv and they start yelling because traffic isn't moving... Yet all they have is a single deckblaster.... or a visor light that isn't even all the way down (or at all, yet its flashing)

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
dmathieu said:
In an episode of Cops, There was a Philadelphia unmarked cruised that used a red Federal Model 15 Junior Beacon Ray as a dash light.

Now that brings back memories, Dan. The now-long-closed refinery in Odessa always had its own safety team and fire dept. When I was still in high school I became acquainted with their safety chief, Bob Scribner, who's still alive and in his upper 80s if not over 90. He gave me one of my first sirens, a Federal 66 (the forerunner to the 66G). Anyway, his chief's car for the refinery was a '60 Ford wagon. It had a red Model 15 Junior Beacon on the dash. He used masking tape to cover the rear of the light. His siren was an original Sireno Projector siren with the selector switch.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Mndlm said:
"Colors" with Robert Duvall & Sean Penn's Caprice and Fury also used the flipped down also.
Starts at the 44 second mark:

That was a California-made "Coplite". They're still available...but I'm sure all the new LEDs have hurt them considerably.

Tristar

May 24, 2010
MA
I wonder if the light was still on the roof when the car landed, and if it was, what kind of magic the studio used.

Hunter1.jpg

Tristar

May 24, 2010
MA
dmathieu said:
Dixie Mcall, on Hunter, used a Fire Ball.

I know Dixie McCall was on at least one episode of Adam-12, but I didn't realize she was on any episodes of Hunter.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErikH

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.