Unmarked Police Cars on TV and their Dashlights

Tristar

May 24, 2010
MA
dmathieu said:
Wasn't she Hunter's partner?

Hunter's partner (the character's name) was Dee Dee McCall. I'm not that smart - I just looked it up on IMDB. I didn't even remember her last name was McCall. I wonder if she was supposed to be Dixie's sister or daughter?

Tristar

May 24, 2010
MA
Skip Goulet said:
Actually, it was Dede McCall on Hunter. Dixie McCall was the blonde nurse on Emergency!

Yes, I know that Dixie was on Emergency...I was referring to shows that crossed over. Skip - I'm insulted...we've discussed Emergency in the past; you think that I wouldn't remember the names of the major (and some of smaller role) characters. I may not remember my wife's birthday, our anniversary, but we're talking about something very near and dear to me when we're discussing Emergency! (Pam - if you see this post, I'm only kidding)

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Tristar said:
Yes, I know that Dixie was on Emergency...I was referring to shows that crossed over. Skip - I'm insulted...we've discussed Emergency in the past; you think that I wouldn't remember the names of the major (and some of smaller role) characters. I may not remember my wife's birthday, our anniversary, but we're talking about something very near and dear to me when we're discussing Emergency! (Pam - if you see this post, I'm only kidding)

Oh...I like the crossover shows, like when Reid and Malloy show up on Emergency! Emergency! is on METV every day at 4 central, and they've been running some promos that show some of the crossovers. I think that the Adam-12 crew was on one or two of the later Dragnet episodes as well.

The late Jeanne Cooper, who played Catherine Chancellor on the Young and Restless was on a couple of Emergency! episodes. I got to meet her in person about 5 years ago when she was in Midland for the opening of a new drug-treatment facility that she supported. She signed autographs, one of which I got, and I got to mention her role in the old Emergency! episode, and she got a kick out of someone remembering her from that far back.

Phillyrube

May 21, 2010
Flatistan
Out for Justice with Steven Seagal. In the beginning when Bobby Lupo gets whacked, there are a couple unmarked cars with Fireballs on the roof. There is also an ambulance marked NYC EMU, and it has blue lights on the front sides of the box.

Phillyrube

May 21, 2010
Flatistan
Skip Goulet said:
Oh...I like the crossover shows, like when Reid and Malloy show up on Emergency! Emergency! is on METV every day at 4 central, and they've been running some promos that show some of the crossovers. I think that the Adam-12 crew was on one or two of the later Dragnet episodes as well.

One of the "bloopers" I remember from Emergency! was an episode where the guys were watching Adam-12 on TV, and the cops were out in the boonies. Another episode has Squad 51 rolling up to a call and they get a passdown from Reid and Malloy.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Phillyrube said:
One of the "bloopers" I remember from Emergency! was an episode where the guys were watching Adam-12 on TV, and the cops were out in the boonies. Another episode has Squad 51 rolling up to a call and they get a passdown from Reid and Malloy.

The METV network has a neat promo that shows the the Emergency! bunch watching Adam-12 on TV, and then they get toned out, with the "dispatcher" saying, "Emergency! nedds to assist Adam-12". And then they cut to the Rampart ER where Dixie is chiding Johnny because he is scowling about getting called out in the middle of their Adam-12 episode. Cute!

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
Detective Tibbs had a red Code 3 Dash Laser to put on the roof of his blue Grand Fury on In The Heat Of The Night.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
HILO said:
Detective Tibbs had a red Code 3 Dash Laser to put on the roof of his blue Grand Fury on In The Heat Of The Night.

The THIS TV network is now running In the Heat of the Night on Sunday evenings at 8 Central. Quite a surprise. It replaces the first episode of Stargate SG-1.

Phillyrube

May 21, 2010
Flatistan
Ok, NYPD Blue, red Dashlaser with mirrors.

Beverly Hills Cop 2, Chief Lutz (Lutz and Bill, like Kibbles and Bits, only different) shows up at a car wreck with Tripp Lite teardrop on the roof.

chief1562

Mar 18, 2011
Slaterville/NY
Here's a site with the a list of the cars on Adam-12 and when they were introduced.

The Cars - Adam-12

emt111

Jun 10, 2011
New York
Phillyrube said:
It's not a blooper, in the Emergency! episode Hang-up, one of the sub-plots is that John and Roy miss the end to the Adam 12 episode Ambush and John spends the rest of the episode tying to find out the end. Also, Malloy and Reed are apparently in the pilot episode of Emergency.

Phillyrube

May 21, 2010
Flatistan
Ok, "Next of Kin" with Patrick Swayze. The bad guys impersonate cops and try to pull over a vending truck. The light looks like a Vitalite except it has very visible lines running vertically, like the supports for the bulb are on the outside.

Tristar

May 24, 2010
MA
emt111 said:
It's not a blooper, in the Emergency! episode Hang-up, one of the sub-plots is that John and Roy miss the end to the Adam 12 episode Ambush and John spends the rest of the episode tying to find out the end. Also, Malloy and Reed are apparently in the pilot episode of Emergency.

I suspect that Phillyrube is referring to the fact that Emergency! is LA County Fire, and Adam-12 is is the city of LA. On a side note, it has always driven me crazy how at the beginning of Adam-12 the dispatcher would say "One-Adam-12, One-Adam-12, a 211 in progress...One-Adam-12 handle code 3". Is Malloy supposed to be a mind reader, and use ESP to get the address?

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
billforbush said:
Did anyone else notice the red Vitalite fly off the roof as they caught air going over a hill during the intro? Gotta look quick but I remember it clearly.

I remember that. It reminded me of the Jr. Beacon that Ellis Funeral Home here had on their '58 Chrysler wagon. It had the old-style magnets, but also had the clip to attach it to the roof with a sheet-metal screw. They lost that light more than once, and it had to be sent back to Federal for repair. I remember watching that ambulance run with only a siren for a good long while before they got the Jr. back from Federal. That light eventually went on another ambulance: and this time it was bolted down!

Phillyrube

May 21, 2010
Flatistan
Not a dashlight, but Clint Eastwood in pursuit driving a CrownVic leadsled in "The Rookie". Car has a flipdown steady burning red light. Another scene has him driving a black Blazer with a flipdown.

R2knee

Mar 26, 2013
sw ohio
Anyone remember the TV show "Chase" ? I think it was only on for one season, maybe two. Early- mid 70's. begining of each show was a shot of their car with some kind of throw light on the roof.

flahotrod

Aug 1, 2011
Florida
I remember "Chase". Very short lived. Started as a new show in '74 at the same time as Bill Bixby's much more successful "The Magician". Chase had a Plymouth Satellite, liberated from the captain, that was outfitted with a red paint job (I think) and mag wheels. Looked odd in '74 to see a four-door car with mag wheels. The show also had a motorcycle and a helicopter.

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
Arron Tippin My Blue Angel. You have to wait until the end, but you get the mother of throw lights!

wojf72

May 1, 2011
Boston, MA USA
Skip Goulet said:
Super Glue....most likely. :p

billforbush said:
Did anyone else notice the red Vitalite fly off the roof as they caught air going over a hill during the intro? Gotta look quick but I remember it clearly.

Yeah, I remember that. That happened on Hunter a lot and also when they would go around a corner sideways the light would go flying off the roof and smack against the side of the car. LOL! Ahh, the good ole shows. I miss them.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Phillyrube said:
Not a dashlight, but Clint Eastwood in pursuit driving a CrownVic leadsled in "The Rookie". Car has a flipdown steady burning red light. Another scene has him driving a black Blazer with a flipdown.

That was one of the famous California CopLites. They're still available despite the competition from LEDs, etc. I saw one on CL that went for a good chunk recently.

Tristar

May 24, 2010
MA
Skip Goulet said:
Before Walker became famous you hardly saw HAW strobes...and suddenly they were all over the place. :yes:

I thought I saw HAWs on another show years before Walker...the show was Hee HAW. Sorry...I couldn't resist. Really bad humor can't get me banned from ELB, can it? Happy New Year!

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
Tristar said:
Really bad humor can't get me banned from ELB, can it?

aimages.wikia.com_halofanon_images_a_a5_Meme___Banned.jpg

V V V

alem.ch.unito.it_didattica_infochimica_2008_Esplosivi_Immagini_nuclear_explosion.jpg

:D :bonk: :D :bonk: :D

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
Tristar said:
I thought I saw HAWs on another show years before Walker...the show was Hee HAW. Sorry...I couldn't resist. Really bad humor can't get me banned from ELB, can it? Happy New Year!

Groan. :hopeless:

stansdds

May 25, 2010
U.S.A., Virginia
Skip Goulet said:
Before Walker became famous you hardly saw HAW strobes...and suddenly they were all over the place. :yes:

That's true of a lot of things. Just look at Starsky & Hutch, before that show, there was very little interest in the 1974-1976 Ford Torino other than as a 4-door family sedan. The tv show sparked interest in the 2-door version and now they are highly desirable for building replicas of the the tv and movie cars.

CrownVic97

May 21, 2010
Hazen, ND
stansdds said:
That's true of a lot of things. Just look at Starsky & Hutch, before that show, there was very little interest in the 1974-1976 Ford Torino other than as a 4-door family sedan. The tv show sparked interest in the 2-door version and now they are highly desirable for building replicas of the the tv and movie cars.

Isn't something that when a TV show or movie takes a car that's not doing well in sales and uses it as their star car, their popularity and demand skyrocket almost instantly? Just like the Torino, the 1977 Trans Am was not getting many buyers and Pontiac was starting to sweat over the lack of interest. Cue "Smokey and the Bandit" and then everyone and their mother wanted a Trans Am (especially the black ones) and a CB radio!

TV shows and movies make good marketing ploys for cars and trucks :thumbsup: .

ex416

Apr 28, 2011
West Central Wisconsin
CrownVic97 said:
Isn't something that when a TV show or movie takes a car that's not doing well in sales and uses it as their star car, their popularity and demand skyrocket almost instantly? Just like the Torino, the 1977 Trans Am was not getting many buyers and Pontiac was starting to sweat over the lack of interest. Cue "Smokey and the Bandit" and then everyone and their mother wanted a Trans Am (especially the black ones) and a CB radio!

TV shows and movies make good marketing ploys for cars and trucks :thumbsup: .

Same thing w/the S&W model 29 44 magnum after the Dirty Harry movie came out.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
stansdds said:

Yeah...and look what the "Dukes of Hazard" did for the Dodge Chargers. I was driving down the street here a few days ago and saw a replica of the "General Lee" sitting on the mall parking lot.

HILO

May 20, 2010
Grand Prairie Texas
TJ Hooker made the PR-24 famous.

RoboCop's Taurus resulted in Ford making a first generation Taurus PPV.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErikH

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.