UPDATE..INPUT NEEDED...alternator whine/vehicle noise on radio RX?

Alboy29

Aug 8, 2011
United STates, New York
i would agree, if your wires are not already Isolated, Isolate tehm and maybe place them into a Braided sleeve.

On a side Note, My Portable Radio (Vertex 800) If i place it in the door handle in the Car, and roll up/Down the Window it will create Static on the Radio. Car is a Chevy impala 2009.. ONly happens when the radio is in the door handle, but still odd..

Good Luck! Keep us Posted! :thumbsup:

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
the door window regulator is creating RFI. has nothing to do with alternator whine.

Steve0625

Jun 23, 2010
Northville NY
bwheelz05 said:
Yes, the TYT is frustrating. Was not my intent to sound "beggy". Many helpful people here to bounce ideas or thoughts off of.

Didn't mean to make it sound quite so negative, but I think you understand what I was trying to convey. You are 1,000% right that there are a bunch of helpful folks here when you run into a problem like this.

bwheelz05

Aug 9, 2011
AZ/CO
Hey folks,

Well today we did two things: We installed the vertex radio, we experimented with different antennas and in different locations.

The new Vertex radio came (this was because there was a consensus that the TYT radio was inferior in design compared to a name brand radio) this past weekend and was installed today in hopes that it would be the magical cure to the engine RPM noise (whine).

Once installed we turned on the truck then the radio….. I heard a “What THE Fu**!!”...Which was in response to the noise STILL present. Did not work and was no better than the TYT.

We then took a radio (Moto CDM VHF mobile) out of a brush truck and installed it. Still noise.

*(Now someone might ask why we didn’t do this in the first place… reason why is this particular truck sit out back, taken apart/junked as it hit a cow years ago. No one knew there was STILL a radio in there! *

SO. All three radios (TYT, Vertex, Moto) still RX’ed the engine whine.

Everyone was very disappointed to say the least. We then tried using some old mag mounts placed in different spots on the roof and it seemed to remedy the issue a little bit. There was not a whole lot of whine in the strong signals being RX’ed.

The other radio works ok and I think purchasing an identical antenna and mount and perhaps that’s the ticket. So looking to be an antenna problem now…

I wish we could just convince the chief to let us bring the truck in to get a permanent antenna mounted on the roof. But that’s not going to happen without some heavy convincing.

But now the cost and time we have spent trying to troubleshoot this issue is well over 350$ and approx 30’ish hours.

SO that might enough to convince him otherwise.

bwheelz05

Aug 9, 2011
AZ/CO
Alright well we installed a new antenna and universal lip mount with mini coax on the truck. The antenna is a non-ground. We trimmed the antenna to 41'' and crossed out fingers....

Turned on the radio and noticed a 'marked' improvement. The RPM whine is very low and only noticeable when the signal is weak. Its non-existent on stronger signals.. so THATS good I guess. Our signal strength on the repeater/thru dispatch is EXCELLENT>>>> !!

Soooooooo 73.6% better. LOL!

The final chapter to this thread has been reached. Cant improve anything more at this point. Thank you everybody for your help and insight! It was very much appreciated. :thumbsup: :)

tvsjr

Oct 7, 2012
TX
Just imagine what would happen with a real antenna properly mounted via a real hole in the roof! :)

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Gasman

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.