Update!!! My Whelen 8000 from the Memphis auction!

cook2890

Sep 27, 2010
Murfreesboro TN
I got two of the Whelen 8000's from the Memphis auction after trading around! I got a blue one and a red one, and I decided to start on the red one first. There is a 'burnt' spot on one of the domes, and they need polishing, but overall I was satisfied. The red one has one dome with one cutout for the par46 but other than that the domes are solid. I pulled the domes to clean the insides and was shocked at what I found! The insides were so clean that all I have to do is knock the dust off, and the best part was that there was still a paper inspection tag inside from whelen, and it is still readable! Of course the par46 lenses are cracked all to heck, but I dont guess theres much I can do about that. The blue one has been opened, but I know it will need a complete cleaning. It is a fully populated bar with TD, alleys, and par 46 strobes, but all of the cutouts are crazed badly. The best part of all was hooking them up and I only had to replace 1 tube!

Let me know what you think, and if anyone has any leads on the clear cutouts or how to fix the par 46 lenses, let me know...

The second set of pics are after cleaning and polishing. All I did for the internals was to 'dust' them out, then wash and polish the lenses. I used a 'back to black' type of product on the black plastic, and I have plans to have new vinyl cut for the dome tops. I will get a vid of it working here in the next week. I decided to leave the lens with the burnt spot on it just because I know where the bar came from and it was like that when i got it. Let me know what you think! (The blue one I got is being torn down for resto right now, Ill post pics of that later too!)

8000 pic 1.jpg

8000 pic 2.jpg

8000 pic 3.jpg

8000 pic 4.jpg

8000 pic 5.jpg

8000 pic 6.jpg

8000 pic 7.jpg

8000 pic 8.jpg

8000 pic 9.jpg

8000 pic 10.jpg

8000 pic 11.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

cook2890

Sep 27, 2010
Murfreesboro TN
Update that has been a long time comming!!!

jtf027

May 21, 2010
Memphis, TN
I still have a stack of these Memphis FD and PD 8000 bars..... but apparently i cant mention anything about them on here. Oh well, to the dumpster they go.

Last edited by a moderator:

cook2890

Sep 27, 2010
Murfreesboro TN
jtf027 said:
I still have a stack of these Memphis FD and PD 8000 bars.....

I sold my blue one, and knowing you still have more... I may have to get with you on a couple of more of these, as I had a blast cleaning these up! After Christmas though...

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
Please only use the classifieds sub forums for buying/selling/trade leads. Some posts in this thread have been deleted.

thanks!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.