UPDATED 2/9/14-2003 Impala Interior LED Lighting pics & video

westville2021

Aug 8, 2010
LaPorte, IN
UPDATE: Below is an updated video with new add ons of 400 Series and Talon. For those that wanted me to try steady burn on the upper center dash lights, that pattern was not available on that model.

I purchased several lights from Custom Fitz LED in Porter, IN. I installed the switch box and all lights with the exception of the HAW's which Custom Fitz put in for me. Equipment list follows:

2 Blue Undercover Vizers front/rear

2 Blue Federal Signal Linear dash/deck lights

2 Dual color B/W TIR4's

2 B/W HAW's

1 Whelen Talon B/W (not from Custom Fitz)

2 Whelen 400 Series Super LED Blue

1 Brookings 9 position switch box (not from Custom Fitz)

20140202_133444.jpg

20140202_133450.jpg

20140202_133501.jpg

20140202_133456.jpg

20140202_133512.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
I think the "Blue" is a little off for my taste. I think the LAWs are in a terrible place as they are washed out by the parking lights. Especially with the older Impala should have just stuck with a good strobe system.... Also you should get rid of those two dual dashlights in between the interior lightbars they look terrible. Take that money and get a couple lightheads and use them in the grille.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Not bad, but I was also gonna say that the centered dash lights on the from headliner & rear deck are kinda pointless. Also, the LAWs are in the wrong spot; they were installed in the easiest/quickest spot to mount them, but the most EFFECTIVE spot to mount them is in the reflector (so that it could maximize the LAW's potential, b/c, as it sits right now, it's about as effective as an upward facing surface mount LAW, not a solid intersection light). I've never had an issue with a true strobe in that generation impala's turn signals

Also, assuming it's allowed, a HLF is a must on an impala ;-)

westville2021

Aug 8, 2010
LaPorte, IN
lafd55 said:
I think the "Blue" is a little off for my taste. I think the LAWs are in a terrible place as they are washed out by the parking lights. Especially with the older Impala should have just stuck with a good strobe system.... Also you should get rid of those two dual dashlights in between the interior lightbars they look terrible. Take that money and get a couple lightheads and use them in the grille.

Well sir, "blue" is the color we run so I don't get a choice there. I had remembered the strobes in these older Impala's not catching the reflector or lack there of I should say, so I didn't think the LED would do much better of a job than a strobe so thats where it got mounted. I will say it actually does look better in person. As for the "dual" dash lights, those are actually single dash lights with split patterns. I didn't like the look of the huge blank space between the visors so I put them in. Now mind you those dash lights were supposed to go in the upper rear window but the way they are made and the mounting situation wasn't going to work out. Keep in mind I don't have access to build custom brackets and such which is also why I did not put anything in the grill as there is no where to mount them without them pointing up into the sky as the Impala grill is angled quite a bit.

westville2021

Aug 8, 2010
LaPorte, IN
pdk9 said:
Not bad, but I was also gonna say that the centered dash lights on the from headliner & rear deck are kinda pointless. Also, the LAWs are in the wrong spot; they were installed in the easiest/quickest spot to mount them, but the most EFFECTIVE spot to mount them is in the reflector (so that it could maximize the LAW's potential, b/c, as it sits right now, it's about as effective as an upward facing surface mount LAW, not a solid intersection light). I've never had an issue with a true strobe in that generation impala's turn signals

Also, assuming it's allowed, a HLF is a must on an impala ;-)

See reply to first comment made....also, we can run HLF's but I'm still looking for a negative switched one at a decent price used, preferably plug and play.

westville2021

Aug 8, 2010
LaPorte, IN
Eric1249 said:
I agree with everything that was said. Does the rear spoiler block the rear deck lights?

I tested that out when I installed them. I was worried about it. You have to be just a little lower than the spoiler and it blocks it partially Other than a low rider, I couldn't think of anything that low that would be out on the roads where I live. If you're in a car or anything bigger you can see them plain as day.

JPolston

Mar 27, 2012
Indiana, USA
westville2021 said:
Well sir, "blue" is the color we run so I don't get a choice there.

I do believe he means the shade of blue. It's a little... off. I'm all for blinkies, but I have to agree with the removing the singles in the middle to "avoid" the gap. Nothing wrong with the space. At least in the front, anyways. I, like you, like the look of it in the back. Also, I think the slimlighter is... well.. I'm not sure. It just seems awkward. It's either too much or not enough due to it's spacing. Removing the Slimlighter, then moving that single dashlight from the middle of the interior bar down to the center right on top of the dash would look better. Actually I think it would look great. That or some type of dual dash light.

You're moving in the right direction, in the opinions of most people on here. Then again, I always say if you like it, do what you want. We can't change a thing for you.

westville2021

Aug 8, 2010
LaPorte, IN
JPolston said:
I do believe he means the shade of blue. It's a little... off. I'm all for blinkies, but I have to agree with the removing the singles in the middle to "avoid" the gap. Nothing wrong with the space. At least in the front, anyways. I, like you, like the look of it in the back. Also, I think the slimlighter is... well.. I'm not sure. It just seems awkward. It's either too much or not enough due to it's spacing. Removing the Slimlighter, then moving that single dashlight from the middle of the interior bar down to the center right on top of the dash would look better. Actually I think it would look great. That or some type of dual dash light.

You're moving in the right direction, in the opinions of most people on here. Then again, I always say if you like it, do what you want. We can't change a thing for you.

The dash lights have a shield that is not removable and they block the defroster. That is why I left the Slimlighter there. Also the blue is set off a little due to the tint on the window. This is why I hate videos, they never show what it looks like in person.

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
Making brackets for grille lights shouldn't be hard. Also I WAS talking about the shade of blue and not changing the color all together.

westville2021

Aug 8, 2010
LaPorte, IN
lafd55 said:
Making brackets for grille lights shouldn't be hard. Also I WAS talking about the shade of blue and not changing the color all together.
The shade is definitely changed by the window tint. Its actually pretty comparable to Whelen's shade. My problem with the grill is getting those lights flat and not angled up.

JPolston

Mar 27, 2012
Indiana, USA
westville2021 said:
The dash lights have a shield that is not removable and they block the defroster. That is why I left the Slimlighter there. Also the blue is set off a little due to the tint on the window. This is why I hate videos, they never show what it looks like in person.

Ah, I have that same problem in my Cavalier. As for the color, the biggest thing that's "off" is the HAWs. That shade of blue is almost purple. Against, though, it may be the video.

westville2021 said:
Thank you. We cant have steady burn though.

I have seen quite a few guys take advantage of steady burn here in Indiana. INDOT has done some research into steady burn usage and has started to use it on some plows and road crews. Honestly, I know many people who load their cars with lights, and we are only supposed to have so many on our vehicle. I don't see you using steady burn causing any issue unless your chief constantly reads the blue light laws, and is beyond a stickler when it comes down to it. Also I deal with state troopers daily and there's several guys they have commented on the steady burn on some guys' cars saying that is what grabbed their attention. I'm all for laws, but honestly I'm willing to bet this is one that absolutely no one will comment on. If you want to make an attempt, might be worth a shot. Again, this is YOUR setup. You don't have to do anything to it. lol

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.