Upgrade KC off road lights to led

fireglen

Sep 15, 2017
Oklahoma
Has anyone converted the old style KC offroad lights to LED? I’m talking about the ones with H3 Halogen Bulbs. 55w or 100w.

They sell new inserts that convert them but I would like to find an LED bulb that is H3 and will still throw a spot beam like the 100w halogen.

Phillyrube

May 21, 2010
Flatistan
One of the problems you will have is the reflector is designed for the geometry of the H3. Same issue with idiots who put HID lights in a headlight as an aftermarket add on. Throws light everywheres but where you need it, including oncoming drivers. Puts lots of light in the foreground but nothing further, and constricts your pupils so you lose ability to see further.

I tried putting LED H3s in the Hella 500 driving lights, and lost the long distance spot. Upgraded the installation with a relay setup from Eastern Beaver to avoid voltage drop. May want to try that.

Last edited:
Reactions: fireglen

fireglen

Sep 15, 2017
Oklahoma
One of the problems you will have is the reflector is designed for the geometry of the H3. Same issue with idiots who put HID lights in a headlight as an aftermarket add on. Throws light everywheres but where you need it, including oncoming drivers. Puts lots of light in the foreground but nothing further, and constricts your pupils so you lose ability to see further.

I tried putting LED H3s in the Hella 500 driving lights, and lost the long distance spot. Upgraded the installation with a relay setup from Eastern Beaver to get some additional voltage. May want to try that.

Great info! Thank you

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.