Upgrading headlights to HID

Klein

May 22, 2010
Texas
I will be doing this project later this week when they come in. I have a HLF which I have heard is bad for HID systems so I am going to disconnect it, no biggie. I also have HAWS in the headlights. Would the HAWs firing affect the HIDs in anyway? I am not too familiar with how HIDs work or what conditions are suited for them hence the post. If i cannot use the HAWS then I will just disconnect them but leave them so I do not have to plug the hole. Any thoughts or opinions? For those that do not know, the vehicle is a 07 Explorer. Thanks

May 21, 2010
NJ & IA
From what i read in the past, you cannot do HAWs with HID headlights. Supposedly there is some sort of gas inside the housing that will be released, or something like that. The gist of it is that you cannot do anything to HID headlights...i think.

Klein

May 22, 2010
Texas
kinnelonfire75 said:
From what i read in the past, you cannot do HAWs with HID headlights. Supposedly there is some sort of gas inside the housing that will be released, or something like that. The gist of it is that you cannot do anything to HID headlights...i think.

I know if they are projector type (BMW, Benz, etc) you cannot but with my type. Regular headlight with halogen bulb, H13, the new HID bulb just replaces the halogen with some other steps of course and bam, HID headlights. Jeremy, TXfire914 i think has them in his Dodge 1500 and they are awesome but he doesnt have HAW or HLF so I know they will work in the housing, just do not know if the HAWs firing or even the hole for the HAW not being 100% airtight will compromise the HID bulb.

Solvarex

Jun 2, 2010
Canada
I hope you are aware that installing HID retrofits is illegal according to Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards. People get their vehicles impounded for that here.

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
You CANNOT use an HLF on true HIDs... HID ballasts need to be on continuously for at least one minute. "Dry firing" or "False Firing" an HID ballast will cause it to fry... Plus its not good for the bulbs to quickley ignite then shut off...

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
I used Strobe HAW's with HID bulbs in the headlight housing before.. Mustang car as well.

I now have new headlights, HID bulbs, and LAW's in the side markers. Never had an issue.

But ya, no HLF if you got HID. If you really want HLF still- get a set of aftermarket halogen wig wag bulbs.

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
GranPrix said:
Great, another stadium lighting glare on the road!

If they are positioned properly (both within the reflector, and the light housing re positioned) they are not brighter for oncoming traffic. Whiter light, yes, but not blinding.

patrol530

May 23, 2010
Central Florida
HID lighting requires engineered HID housings & reflectors. Retrofitting kits = blinding glare. Having recently returned from a trip from Florida to New York and back, it seems the popularity of the $38 Fleabay kits is booming. The only effective adjustment to these kits requires full swings with a hammer.

Klein

May 22, 2010
Texas
1. I know HLF will not work with them. I stated in the original post that I will be DCing it. My question was regarding strobes.

2. Where IS here?? In Texas...nobody cares...I promise.

3. Re-aiming the headlights is included in my process. I have seen plenty of aftermarket kits done nicely without blinding oncoming traffic.

kinnelonfire75, yes just the bulb. Sorry for the confusion.

Unlisted, thanks for the input.

zack A

May 24, 2010
NC
Just a thought you can get HID kits with a halogen also. You could always get that and tie the HLF into the halogen bulbs

TCO

May 21, 2010
Malvern,Pa
if you want true hid lights spend the few grand and do it right,otherwise throw the fake glare producing bulbs in the garbage

DaveCN5

May 22, 2010
South East Michigan
I have a bit of experience with HID headlights. Here are the basics:

Solvarex said:
I hope you are aware that installing HID retrofits is illegal according to Federal Motor Vehicle Safety Standards. People get their vehicles impounded for that here.

Yes it is, check your local state laws for more info though. Some states require you to use aftermarkett projector headlights, others don't.

GranPrix said:
Great, another stadium lighting glare on the road!

It depends on the head light housing. Shape of it has everything to do with the amount of glare. Some of them can simply just be re-aimed and eliminate glare. Others, like my Silverado housings are too large and produce glare from all angles. I had to get after market projectors.

ai250.photobucket.com_albums_gg245_DaveCN5_Mobile_20Uploads_1255487777.jpg

TCO said:
if you want true hid lights spend the few grand and do it right,otherwise throw the fake glare producing bulbs in the garbage
HID appearance bulbs are not worth it. Get a true HID system with ballast. However, you do not need to spend thousands of dollars. There are quality inexpensive kits out there. Things to look for are the wattage. The higher, the better.

GranPrix

May 23, 2010
FL
I can care less how you position an HID bulb into a Halogen housing, IT WILL NEVER WORK PROPERLY. Like it was stated earlier, headlight housings are engineered accordingly. HID bulbs for HID housings. Halogen bulbs for halogen housings. The amount of light produced by the HID arc is far greater than a halogen filament. The position of this arc is critical for proper lighting that is "supposed" to be thrown out onto the road. Same goes for halogen.

This website is one of the best regarding HID lighting:

http://faqlight.shopower.com/

Richard P

May 23, 2010
Sudbury, On
I got HID in my 07 F350 tow truck. off axis glare, theres next to none. Blinding? sometimes when I have a heavy load on the back, lowering the rear, bring up the front. But theyre aimed so low that even with a load, its not bad. Light output is great, the reflector is very projector like (no saying it is). My kit was $150, comes with 5 year no questions asked warranty from the store, the brand is ignited.

But you definatly cannot use a HLF

Klein

May 22, 2010
Texas
Yea, my question wasn't asking y'alls opinions on HID kits or retrofitting. I was asking if they are effected by HAWs. Don't have input regarding THIS topic move along, please, *ahem* GranPrix, Solvarex and TCO. I have seen many Explorers like mine with HID and it looks great, hence my wanting to do it. Not Cool Blues or blue bulbs from the local Stop N' Rob. I did my research with the kits and determined it will look great for a fraction of the cost. Again, nobody...nobody cares down here that one has aftermarket HID. Thanks for input Richard P, unlisted and zach a.

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
Klein said:
Yea, my question wasn't asking y'alls opinions on HID kits or retrofitting. I was asking if they are effected by HAWs. Don't have input regarding THIS topic move along, please, *ahem* GranPrix, Solvarex and TCO. ....
Heh, get used to it.. almost every thread on here has a tendency to waver off topic a bit... :lol:

DaveCN5

May 22, 2010
South East Michigan
Have you tried contacting a manufacturer of HID lights and asking them?

Obviously I wouldn't use HAW's in a projector housing. I have a pair of vertex, an extra ballast driver and an old set of headlight housings laying around. I guess I could technically do some experimenting.....

Klein

May 22, 2010
Texas
DaveCN5 said:
Have you tried contacting a manufacturer of HID lights and asking them?

Obviously I wouldn't use HAW's in a projector housing. I have a pair of vertex, an extra ballast driver and an old set of headlight housings laying around. I guess I could technically do some experimenting.....

I forgot about you, too Dave! Thanks for the pic. I just wonder if the strobing will affect the HID bulb/lamp itself in some way. Not sure how but I just thought maybe it would or something.

unlisted said:
Heh, get used to it.. almost every thread on here has a tendency to waver off topic a bit... :lol:

It just gets annoying really quickly when you want some valid input on a topic and people just think one must know their opinion on a subject that is somewhat related (almost) to the OP. :evil:

DaveCN5

May 22, 2010
South East Michigan
Klein said:
I forgot about you, too Dave! Thanks for the pic. I just wonder if the strobing will affect the HID bulb/lamp itself in some way. Not sure how but I just thought maybe it would or something.

I can't imagine it would, but I would probably place the strobe tube as far away as possible from the HID bulb, just in case.

Klein

May 22, 2010
Texas
DaveCN5 said:
I can't imagine it would, but I would probably place the strobe tube as far away as possible from the HID bulb, just in case.

The HAWs are already in, hence the inquiry. If I didnt have them in then I probably would just leave it at that. The HAWs are a couple inches away. I don't think they will be a problem since most if not all of the electrical/exterior equipment needs to withstand heat, vibrations, and other abusive conditions.

Klein

May 22, 2010
Texas
Did the kit tonight. Turned out amazing. No blinding glare and the HAWs still work well with the HIDs and visa versa.

Solvarex

Jun 2, 2010
Canada
DaveCN5 said:
Yes it is, check your local state laws for more info though. Some states require you to use aftermarkett projector headlights, others don't.
HID retrofits are illegal under FEDERAL motor vehicle safety standards; they are not legal in any state of the US or in Canada. Unfortunately most street cops are ignorant of this and don't enforce compliance. I agree with the previous poster who says the only adjustment ought to be with a hammer, preferably a 20 lb. sledge.

But why take the advice of some internet blowhards? Get it from the horse's mouth.

http://dsl.torque.net/images/techdocs/N ... ckdown.jpg

See you on the street...

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
Solvarex said:
HID retrofits are illegal under FEDERAL motor vehicle safety standards; they are not legal in any state of the US or in Canada. Unfortunately most street cops are ignorant of this and don't enforce compliance. I agree with the previous poster who says the only adjustment ought to be with a hammer, preferably a 20 lb. sledge.

But why take the advice of some internet blowhards? Get it from the horse's mouth.

See you on the street...

Thnkas for finally posting a link 6 days after your "post and run." Could have prevented a crap storm by just posting the link, or if you didn't have it, state you were looking for it.

I'd never heard of this...

Stendec

May 21, 2010
Solvarex said:

See you on the street...

Street cops aren't "ignorant" of this. This is a federal, civil standards issue which street cops don't have jurisdiction over. If there is a state statute making it an offense to possess or use them, then cops can do something, but frankly, I'm not going to take time out from murders, rapes, robberies and DV cases to write a ticket over headlights, particularly when it is a technical violation that i don't have to the technology to document.

Solvarex

Jun 2, 2010
Canada
rwo978 said:
Thnkas for finally posting a link 6 days after your "post and run." Could have prevented a crap storm by just posting the link, or if you didn't have it, state you were looking for it.
I'm not your personal research assistant nor do I scour ELB 24/7. Some of us have real lives, in stark contrast to some of you losers who think post count confers wisdom and intelligence. I'll leave you with this powerful forensic tool that you can use to find information exactly in the manner which I found it: http://www.google.com

Klein

May 22, 2010
Texas
Well seeing as it was initiated/posted on October 19, 2004 it appears that more and more of these kits are on the roads. A lot ARE too bright and are like stadium lights unlike my kit which looks stock.

Bizkitjmd1

May 21, 2010
CT in good old US of A
If you are just doing plug and play HIDs you can keep the HAWs in the headlights but at night they will get washed out. I have them and have not had any problems.

Klein

May 22, 2010
Texas
Bizkitjmd1 said:
If you are just doing plug and play HIDs you can keep the HAWs in the headlights but at night they will get washed out. I have them and have not had any problems.

Thanks! I noticed that the HAWS are pretty much washed out but they still show a little so it isnt that bad just at night when the headlights are on.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.