Using Feniex cannons and Whelen vertex together

Davis4jr

Apr 6, 2015
South Alabama
Just a few questions about upfitting my pov. Nobody seems to have ever done this before. I bought a Whelen HHS-2200, 6 Fenex cannons b/w, 2 Whelen vertex white, and 2 soundoff ghostlights for the push bumper. Is there a preference on mounting I also want to wire my m/a com m7100 radio to rebroadcast through my hhs-2200. My biggest question is have to wire my hideaways so that they talk to each other for syncing. I thought I did a lot of research and had seen the bigger groups like sirennet using diff brands of products. How do I wire all my lights so that they alternate. I know there is a feniex flash controller but I really want to buy a separate controller?? Anyone. And to the installers, how do y'all usually run your wiring after the fuse. In reference to most of the wires having stripes,, like white w/ green stripe etc etc. Sorry for the ignorance this is only my second install but not to this scale
Thanks in advance

Reactions: Evtech161

chusen bucher

Jan 3, 2016
woodbury, ny
in order to sync lights from different manufactures you will have to set all lights to steady burn then use a external flasher. if you were talking about alternating just the vertex or cannons themselves then each company is different, the vertex you would connect the grey wires together then set on light to phase one and the other to phase 2. the feniex you would have to set each light as a "master" or "slave" then they would alternate each other if the blue wires are connected. for wiring use which ever color you have, just make sure to mark whichever wire is what. hope this helps

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
when you say flash controller do you mean an external flasher? Feniex 3 mode Cannons will not work with an external flasher. The easiest thing to do would be to get more Cannons to replace the Vertex and program them the way Chusen mentioned above.

Reactions: Davis4jr

Evtech161

Nov 9, 2016
Woburn
I'm with Eric.... it's going to be nothing but a headache to combine those lights, and I'm not 100% on this but, I don't think the vertex can even be set to steady burn... also the Feniex lights are going to be a lot brighter than the Whelen, and it will look a little off... just my two cents

chusen bucher

Jan 3, 2016
woodbury, ny
I'm with Eric.... it's going to be nothing but a headache to combine those lights, and I'm not 100% on this but, I don't think the vertex can even be set to steady burn... also the Feniex lights are going to be a lot brighter than the Whelen, and it will look a little off... just my two cents

im pretty sure they could be set to steady burn, will check about that soon and let you know for sure

rescue567

Dec 11, 2011
Plains Pa.
Yes the vertex can be set to steady burn.

Evtech161

Nov 9, 2016
Woburn
Still wouldn't put those two brands facing the same direction.... as a tech, it's like mixing a corvette with a pinto.... and the pinto has that exploding gas tank.... lol.
Different brands will almost always have different looking colors... some reds are more intense or brighter, same with blues....plus I know budget and availability always play a role in this... I've been there too... I would look into going with more Feniex product...

bullfrog4ever

May 29, 2014
Indiana
How'd you manage to work around the whole "feniex doesn't like external flasher" bit?

not sure but feel free to use this video to prove everyone wrong ;)

I'm still flabbergasted by this. For all these years we've been told that the newer cannons don't play nice with external flashers due to the firmware. I wonder if this also means the new fusions can play well with an external flasher. How does it do with the other patterns on the ULF44?

This has been the reason I haven't bought new cannons, cause I hate that they took away the quad flash and the other flash patterns are just 'meh. I may have to reevaluate this now.

noxin

Jun 24, 2011
Boston, MA
I have two cannons, set them to steady burn. One plays nicely with the ULF44, the other... not so much. I'll see if I can get a video.

paff2

Nov 30, 2010
Lancaster, PA
I'm still flabbergasted by this. For all these years we've been told that the newer cannons don't play nice with external flashers due to the firmware. I wonder if this also means the new fusions can play well with an external flasher. How does it do with the other patterns on the ULF44?

This has been the reason I haven't bought new cannons, cause I hate that they took away the quad flash and the other flash patterns are just 'meh. I may have to reevaluate this now.

The old 2 mode cannons can be used with a flasher with almost any flash pattern. The newer ones can also be but only on a slow pattern but nothing with a quick on/off.

bullfrog4ever

May 29, 2014
Indiana
The old 2 mode cannons can be used with a flasher with almost any flash pattern. The newer ones can also be but only on a slow pattern but nothing with a quick on/off.

Right, but the video above says otherwise. Maybe he just got lucky and got some that play nice?

I've got the old 2 mode ones in white, which are great, but I've been considering getting blue or blue amber. I don't want to, cause I'm not a huge fan of the their flash patterns. Having the ability to do signal alert, quad flash or something else would really be great.

They really need to change their patterns and make them play nice with external flashers.

chusen bucher

Jan 3, 2016
woodbury, ny
here's an idea; if you plan to use a cannon with an external flasher and want to use just 1 mode but yours doesn't behave properly with a external flasher, cut the wire between the light head and the internal flasher (cut out the flasher). just remember that if its a dual color lighthead that the 2 colors are switched with the negative wire. (theres 1 positive and a negative for each color) it will void youre warranty though

noxin

Jun 24, 2011
Boston, MA
I got to play with them today, here's the video:

Based on my limited testing, slow moving patterns work okay, once they get to either multi-flash or quick alternating, weird things happen.

Davis4jr

Apr 6, 2015
South Alabama
I think feniex cannons are a lot brighter, trust me I bought both and bench tested. I even used some old headlights. Back to my other question has anybody installed the Whelen hhs-2200? If some of you don't know the hhs-2200 is mainly used for low profile or undercover vehicles. It can be mounted under your seat or in my case behind my bench seat. Extended cab Sierra. The speaker mic is your controller as far as lighting siren control, you can program what siren tones you like, not my favorite part because a lot of them sound like your in England. Whatever You can use two 100 watt siren speakers which is good. When I bought it there wasn't a whole lot to chose from. How do y'all extend the wiring as far as the solid with stripes?? What is y'alls the favorite wire for extending feniex hideaway wires. Do I need an external flasher? Thanks everyone for
Ur input.. Rich

paff2

Nov 30, 2010
Lancaster, PA
Right, but the video above says otherwise. Maybe he just got lucky and got some that play nice?

I've got the old 2 mode ones in white, which are great, but I've been considering getting blue or blue amber. I don't want to, cause I'm not a huge fan of the their flash patterns. Having the ability to do signal alert, quad flash or something else would really be great.

They really need to change their patterns and make them play nice with external flashers.

Please re read my post. I know the cannons work in 2 or 3 mode with external flashers but only in a slow flash pattern with the 3 mode. I watched the video and it is indeed a slower pattern.

Davis4jr

Apr 6, 2015
South Alabama
I almost miss the old strobes. having One controller but they drew so much power How would I use the feniex ext flasher along with the Whelen HHS-2200.

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
I almost miss the old strobes. having One controller but they drew so much power How would I use the feniex ext flasher along with the Whelen HHS-2200.
Are you wanting to use the cannon flashers with your hhs2000? Or something else?

If you are wanting to use your hhs2000 with the cannon flashers simply wire the cannon power into a switched output on the hhs2000.

Blake

Sep 21, 2016
Savannah Georgia
I know that people are going for the brighest output lights that they can get, but after installing my Whelen Competition haws in my reverse housing, they do the perfect job without being overpowering. They provide the perfect balance day and night. Thanks to everyone here I've been noticing more how some of my local vehicles are what I consider overpowered with light and it's literally confusing and blinding.

Reactions: Davis4jr

Davis4jr

Apr 6, 2015
South Alabama
Are you wanting to use the cannon flashers with your hhs2000? Or something else?

If you are wanting to use your hhs2000 with the cannon flashers simply wire the cannon power into a switched output on the hhs2000.

Yea I have 6 cannons for,, 2 for high beams 2 for reverse tail, and maybe my third brake reverse. I also have 2 soundoff ghostlights for my push bar/winch. I need something for dash and deck lighting. I'm from AL so county Sheriff vehicle only show blue/white. Unlike other states that require ambler and or red. You can have rear amber for traffic control but not required.

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
If you are wanting to sync them all together it won't happen.

Otherwise just wire the same manufacturer ones up together, sync same together and power with one or more of the hhs2000 outputs.

If this is difficult to understand you may be better off hiring someone from here or a local installer to learn how they do it. I learned by doing decades ago...however I started out by doing competition car stereos in high school so it was an easy transition to lower power draws.

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
I have wired Fusions and 3 mode Cannons to an external flasher. I used the tripe flash and action flash and it was a no go. I even has some issues using the action flash on 2 mode Cannons recently (red/white) and it would flash pink at times. The biggest complaint is the Feniex patterns. They just need to make all their lights compatible with external flashers.

got_yogurt

May 21, 2010
BC, Canada
here's an idea; if you plan to use a cannon with an external flasher and want to use just 1 mode but yours doesn't behave properly with a external flasher, cut the wire between the light head and the internal flasher (cut out the flasher). just remember that if its a dual color lighthead that the 2 colors are switched with the negative wire. (theres 1 positive and a negative for each color) it will void youre warranty though

Have you actually done this? I was under the impression that the flashers convert power to the right voltage and that cutting them out and directly powering the LED's would cause irreperable damage

Reactions: unlisted

bullfrog4ever

May 29, 2014
Indiana
Have you actually done this? I was under the impression that the flashers convert power to the right voltage and that cutting them out and directly powering the LED's would cause irreperable damage
I was thinking the same thing. But, I have been tempted to try this.

Eric1249

Jul 12, 2010
Waukesha WI USA
It is too bad Feniex doesn't offer a Cannon that without the built in flasher that would work with any external flasher. I would be bet that would increase sales.

I think I have a old Cannon somewhere that doesn't work. If I can find it I will cut it and see what happens

C1557

Nov 15, 2017
ny
on your car did you cutout out the feniex flasher and wire it directly in to whelen flasher?

Carlos SpicyWeiner

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 3, 2012
Lakeland, Florida
Better off just swapping old cannons out for the new all in one cannon (v3) and hooking them all up to an external flasher. The new cannons play well with external flashers and they have no inline driver to worry about.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
2 year old thread revival...

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.