Using STT flasher to steady burn & flash LEDs takedowns/alleys

C2Installs

May 24, 2010
Tennessee
Ok, so a customer wanted to add white par36 LEDs to the foglight blanks in a Tahoe. They wanted the extra warning power but also wanted to use them as driving lights. I began diagraming a relay & LED flasher set-up to accomplish this and then had an epiphany....I could just use a Sho-Me Stop/Tail/Turn LED Flasher (#11.1005STT) instead. Basically, a STT flasher can do three things...steady burn low power, steady burn high power, and flash. So, I simply slaved the SoundOff R4 par36 LED Lightheads by gounding the white wire and then connected them to the L&R outputs from the Sho-Me flasher. Now, the lights can be turned on in a low-power "cruise/DRL mode" and on in high-power for driving lights. They can also be flashed as part of the warning light set-up. The high-output steady-burn (brake lights) overrides the flash and low power modes, so it works like a high-beam override on wig/wags. This really worked out well and would be just the ticket for adding LED take-downs to a lightbar project. The only downside is that SoundOff regulates their LED output in steady burn mode and after a second or two, the lighthead will dim slightly to prevent overheating.

So, if you had a LED lighthead that was designed for steady burn, or want to flash a set of Mighty Nite Lights or LED work lights, this would be the ticket. Using the taillight output (low power), you could also add LED cruise lights to lightbars that don't have them.

Anyway, not sure if anyone else has tried this, but it worked awesome, was easier to wire than two relays and a flasher, and should be more reliable with no mechanical parts. I imagine this could also be done with a wig/wag flasher, but I wanted the low-power option and better flash patterns of the LED flasher. I chose the Sho-Me flasher 'cause I had one in stock, it is waterproof, and not too expensive.

SHO-ME LED Flasher with 27 Strobe-Style Patterns

SoundOff Signal - R4 Gen2 4 inch Round Light

Last edited by a moderator:

factorone33

Jun 13, 2010
Merriam, KS
We do this with Whelen's Pioneer flasher all the time for fogs on Tahoes and Chargers using the PAR36 heads or the 3" round heads. Works great. I'm fixing to do the same with a pair of LIN6 500s in my fog light "inserts" on my Silverado.

Apr 28, 2012
Knox County, ME
Whelen ULF44 Flasher will do the same

Apr 28, 2012
Knox County, ME
pulltotheright said:
I did this wit my reverse lights. Removed the OEM bulbs and replaced with Vertex's wired with the STT flasher from Sho Me. Works like a charm!!!!!

John

I also did the Vertex in place of my OEM Bulbs

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.