Utility Trailer Lighting - Ideas/Suggestions?

FireEMSPolice

May 21, 2010
Ohio
Anyone ever upfit one of these? We have one that looks similar to the one pictured. We use it to haul our 6x6 Polaris to calls unreachable by truck or other apparatus. The thing is, our grass trucks (pick up trucks) have minimal lighting as it is and hauling this and crossing a 4-lane highway with it is unnerving. I feel that while someone may see the pickup truck hauling it cross the road, they may not think twice about this trailer behind it and crashing it. On the ramps we have reflective strips on some metal. On the front of the trailer we have a plastic tool box (holds straps, charger for the 6x6, other supplies).

[Broken External Image]:http://johnsontrailerco.com/images/trailer_images/2011/tandem-utility-trailer.jpg

Apr 14, 2011
PG county MD
i have done a few. though the trace is a good idea Dmathieu, its hella expensive. I have used V series ions on the sides and whelen ions above the brake tail turn lights. tan some sort of flush mounted light over the wheel well. We also add some led flood loghts to the top of rails so u can see backing up and unloading. i wire in the spot lights on the v-Series to them as well.

Abacus

May 24, 2010
Sydney Australia
Put a Whelen l32 on a one inch pipe to a height of 4 feet of the ground. You need height of light on crossing a highway. Maybe better to put major dollars into your minimal existing lighting on the trucks.

Reactions: dmathieu

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
i would just put t3's on each corner clear up front, amber in the back and some reds in the middle.

or pole mount some old strobes

Doyle257

Jan 13, 2015
Cheektowaga, NY
Ive done T3's on a box trailer. while they are good for the down low on this application, I think I like the idea of the 4 corner pole mounts with strobes. or LED Beacons...hell, even 4 Teardrops would work.

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
How would you wire them in to the trailer wiring?

You could probably wire the tow vehicles and trailer with round seven-place connectors and then use the auxiliary power wire to power your warning functions. Then just add a switch in the cab of each tow vehicle near the existing warning light controls to supply power to the auxiliary power pin of the seven-place connector as needed.

You could also add a key-retaining normally-closed switch to the trailer side of the harness that could be used in the event that the trailer needs to be towed by an unfamiliar vehicle without the warning lights activated.

Doyle257

Jan 13, 2015
Cheektowaga, NY
I could go either route. Ive seen somone dedicate the switch on their controller just to trailer lighting, and running an extra 2-pin connector, and hook it up that way.
I've also seen a hard line run off of the running light circuit of the trailer, through a waterproof contoller or switch

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
Mine are run off the parking lights with a waterproof switch. Only come on if the parking light wires are on.

Another option would be a battery on the trailer that would need to get charged on occasion or solar charget

Blake

Sep 21, 2016
Savannah Georgia
I purchased a 6x12 enclosed trailer that I need to add amber warning lights to the rear and sides. The trailer wiring is a 4 way plug. My truck has the 7 way round trailer connection. I want to be able to control the trailer warning lights from the Fenix controller. How would you recommend I do this?

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
First question would be how many functions do you want for trailer lighting ? One? Two? Four?

I've done a few trailers in the past which required emergency lighting upfitting. Normally 2 warning modes (in motion and parked), sometimes an arrowstick and led scene lights as well. Best way I've found is to simply run a whole separate trailer wire harness from the controller to the back of the tow vehicle and use 5 or 6 or another odd (not commonly used) trailer connector /harness between the vehicle and trailer. This way someone won't easily plug it accidentally into a 4 or 7 pin connector and bugger up the lights, factory trailer harness or tow vehicle.

Ground isn't an issue, you can use the trailer frame as common ground.

Blake

Sep 21, 2016
Savannah Georgia
The trailer warning lighting only needs one function. I would like to somehow be able to control the trailer warning from my feniex controller and thru my factory 7 way connection on the truck.

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
Just run one wire then from the controller back to the rear bumper and find a waterproof connector to use between the truck and trailer. Then run said wire to connect to the lights on the trailer.

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
...fake edit. Sorry on mobile. If your trailer was wired for 7 pin you could of used a short range wireless controller (like a garage door opener) And a relay and pulled power from the aux pin on the 7 pin trailer connector. However you are running a 4 pin connector so that's not an option.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.