VELCRO useage for Interior Lights

LawrenceM1993

Jun 2, 2010
Saratoga NY/Norfolk VA
Hey everyone,

Have many (or any) of you used Velcro as a mounting option for lights on the dash and deck? I am looking to do a smiple, no-holes install on a friends sedan, and he wants 1 dual deck strobe, and single (split color) dash strobe...I was thinking that I could use Velcro to secure the lights to the dash and deck so there's no holes, and he can take the lights down when he doesn't want them visible. I figure 2 strips on the mouting surface (the dash and the deck spot), and then 2 on the light.

Any thoughts?

emtspruitt

May 25, 2010
Huntsville, AL
I used the hook side of velcro to stick some LED dashkings to the rear deck of a Taurus, did great, they didnt move at all, and it was almost impossible to get them loose after a couple of weeks.

May 25, 2010
Tunkhannock, PA, USA
I'm actually using 3-M Moulding Tape to secure my InnerBeams to the custom bracket I made... LoL I actually used that on my mobile antenna on my Tahoe... It was out in the elements for 3 years and it was still hard as hell to get off... LoL

The "heavy duty" velcro works real good... As long as you dont velcro and unvelcro it a bunch of times...

LawrenceM1993

Jun 2, 2010
Saratoga NY/Norfolk VA
Where can you get 3M Dual Lock besides ordering a bunch of EZ Passes? xD

whatevah

May 26, 2010
Delaware, USA
My local hardware store carries it in retail packaging. You can get longer sections of it and bulk supplies at various websites online. I used regular Velcro to mount 2 three head lights to the rear deck of a Charger, was a pain to remove 3 weeks later. I thought the carpet was going to pull off the deck, and I only used around 6 square inches per light.

RL1

May 20, 2010
Ga
Radio Shack had some 1.5 or 2 inch strips of hard-ish plastic velcro that works really well. I bought the heavy duty type since it get so hot down here and never had a problem with it holding. When I sold the car I used it in, I had to finally give up on getting all of the glue off the dash (and I had only used half a piece!) and let the dealership guys worry about it. This was after it had been in Georgia heat and humidity for close to 3.5 years. I also took half a piece and put it in place of the top suction cup on a dual talon and hung it on the rear glass. It held by itself, no suction cups or anything, for a year till I took it down.

As I said, it's like plastic, so the carpeting around it didn't pose a problem, and it held very secure, but takes a little more pressure than regular cloth velcro to get the two pieces to mate (though there is no 'male' or 'female' side, each piece is both).

RoaddoggAK

May 24, 2010
Erie, PA
WalMart sells Industrial strength Velcro in the crafts section. I've got my dash light mounted using it, and it is some tough stuff. It takes a very good bit of force to get them to come apart.

Phillyrube

May 21, 2010
Flatistan
We have a bunch of our radars mounted using 3M Dual Lok, and have had no problems with the antennas or control units flying around.

dustymedic

May 21, 2010
Columbus,OH
RL1 said:
Radio Shack had some 1.5 or 2 inch strips of hard-ish plastic velcro that works really well. I bought the heavy duty type since it get so hot down here and never had a problem with it holding. When I sold the car I used it in, I had to finally give up on getting all of the glue off the dash (and I had only used half a piece!) and let the dealership guys worry about it. This was after it had been in Georgia heat and humidity for close to 3.5 years. I also took half a piece and put it in place of the top suction cup on a dual talon and hung it on the rear glass. It held by itself, no suction cups or anything, for a year till I took it down.

As I said, it's like plastic, so the carpeting around it didn't pose a problem, and it held very secure, but takes a little more pressure than regular cloth velcro to get the two pieces to mate (though there is no 'male' or 'female' side, each piece is both).

I use that stuff to hold my garage door opener to the overhead console in my car. The key to it is to press it on each side and overnight for the adhesive to set before "mating" the pieces together.

TheGatekeeper

Jun 19, 2010
France
We definitely favor Velcro vs suction cups. (Try to install your dashlight with the cups while driving Code 3.... :shock: )

I know that with one brand of Velcro stripes glue started to melt in the Summer, dripping down the sides of the dash. Ugly, but it got cleaned up.

Stendec

May 21, 2010
IIRC, you can't judge Velco's "strength" by pulling it apart. It will resist a lot more shear force, which is what you'd get in a wreck, then it will pulling force. I've used it a lot.

I've also used shotguns that have side saddle spare ammo carriers velcroed to the receiver. If they stay on after firing multiple rounds of slugs through a shotgun, a dashlight, particularly a light, modern LED, isn't going anywhere.

LED

May 25, 2010
New England, MA
The biggest issue is not the Velcro itself sticking but the glue. I've tried to use Velcro on the interior and after one hot day, it's a goopy mess!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.