Ventura County Fire California

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
Nice to hear fire engines with electronic sirens for a change. The pumper has a Whelen and the tillered ladder and rescue squad have Unitrols.

There was one pumper with a mechanical at the end, but it was nice to hear that it was running electronic too.

Respondcode3

May 23, 2010
Northen Il USA
Electronic sirens are for police and ambulances. The public hears those and look for a police car or ambulance. When they hear a mechanical siren they think of a fire appratus and act accordingly. I have driven all three. I also have driven a fire engine with a Pa300. When the public hear a Q2B the move faster then any time I was trying to get though with an electronic siren.

dusty

Jan 9, 2012
Little Rock, Arkansas
Respondcode3 said:
Electronic sirens are for police and ambulances. The public hears those and look for a police car or ambulance. When they hear a mechanical siren they think of a fire appratus and act accordingly. I have driven all three. I also have driven a fire engine with a Pa300. When the public hear a Q2B the move faster then any time I was trying to get though with an electronic siren.

Get both. Electronic siren on all the time, Q on for blind corners, intersections, etc

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
I most closely recognize fire trucks by air horns. But I'm used to NYC and some other departments hear that just run electrical. Granted, some NYC units do use a Q or EQ

EVModules

May 16, 2010
Deer Park, WA
Technically, one can't have the Q as the primary siren in California, hence why you're hearing electronic sirens with proper tones.

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
EVModules said:
Technically, one can't have the Q as the primary siren in California, hence why you're hearing electronic sirens with proper tones.

Those damn California Laws, lol.

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
Respondcode3 said:
Electronic sirens are for police and ambulances. The public hears those and look for a police car or ambulance.

One does not have to distinguish whether it is a police car, fire engine, or ambulance. They are all emergency vehicles, and an electronic siren does the same thing for all of them.

dusty

Jan 9, 2012
Little Rock, Arkansas
Wailer said:
One does not have to distinguish whether it is a police car, fire engine, or ambulance. They are all emergency vehicles, and an electronic siren does the same thing for all of them.

Speak for yourself. I love knowing what units are rolling up without having to tie up the radio. It changes the way we do things.

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
For emergency personal it's easier for use to distinguish units based on their siren. For the general public it doesn't matter what type of siren it is, they will just think help is coming.... The town where I live if I hear a Whelen siren I know it's police or EMS, if I hear FedSig, Code 3, etc. I know it's fire. You just get used to it.

Wailer

May 24, 2010
Canada
dusty said:
Speak for yourself. I love knowing what units are rolling up without having to tie up the radio. It changes the way we do things.

Where I live, fire engines and ambulances use wail most of the time and yelp when they go through controlled intersections. Fire engines use the air horns (real air horns) to startle drivers who are in the way. In the past, the police just used the yelp tone, but since they got the Federal Smart Sirens they usually use wail only.

Last edited by a moderator:

dusty

Jan 9, 2012
Little Rock, Arkansas
Wailer said:
Where I live, fire engines and ambulances use wail most of the time and yelp when they go through controlled intersections. Fire engines use the air horns (real air horns) to startle drivers who are in the way. In the past, the police just used the yelp tone, but since the got the Federal Smart Sirens they usually use wail only.

That makes them sound pretty bad.

Doug

May 23, 2010
Maryland
Wailer said:

Arguably, any audible warning device - electronic or electromechanical - will serve to alert the public of an approaching emergency vehicle. Now how the public reacts...well, that's not always ideal.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErikH

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.