Vertex steady burn

iCrash

Aug 11, 2010
New Jersey
I want to install a pair of Vertexs in the fog light housing (replacing the fog lamp entirely) of my S-10 and was wondering if it would be possible to set them up so that I can easily switch between the steady burn function and a synced pattern. According to the instructions steady burn is a non-sync pattern so does that mean if I have the sync wires connected I won't be able to switch to steady burn? But before I get ahead of myself would these things even throw enough workable light?

unlisted

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 20, 2010
NA
Would not throw workable light- more like mood/immediate area lighting. Also depends on how well they reflect in the actual fog marker.

For what you want to do, I'd recommend picking up a external flasher.. I believe the Whelen ulf44 has an option to have both steady burn and any flash pattern you want with a flip of a switch (or two)

Daniel

May 21, 2010
Leiden, the Netherlands
Note, the ULF44 does feature steady burn, but that is a cruise function, not a full powered steady burn.

I got around that by applying 12 v via a switch to the output terminals of the ULF.

HTH, Daniël

AggiePhil

Jul 17, 2010
Southwest
Daniel said:
Note, the ULF44 does feature steady burn, but that is a cruise function, not a full powered steady burn.

How did you manage to do that? The ULF44 has a Pattern Override terminal where you can select an optional second pattern and it also has a Low Power terminal. But the two are separate. So if you normally have the lightheads set to flash at full power, and have your Pattern Override set to Steady Burn, it should Steady Burn at full power unless you activate the Low Power terminal.

mjw357

Jun 17, 2011
OHIO
AggiePhil said:
How did you manage to do that? The ULF44 has a Pattern Override terminal where you can select an optional second pattern and it also has a Low Power terminal. But the two are separate. So if you normally have the lightheads set to flash at full power, and have your Pattern Override set to Steady Burn, it should Steady Burn at full power unless you activate the Low Power terminal.
I don't know about the ULF44, but on the ULF22 the low-power is disabled on any steady mode.

EDIT: Just looked at the spec sheet http://www.whelen.com/install/141/14103.pdf

There are five intensity levels available for the steady burn, and says nothing about disabling low power on steady.

EDIT2: ULF22 will do a dim mode in steady, just not in SteadyFlash.

Last edited by a moderator:

AggiePhil

Jul 17, 2010
Southwest
Does Whelen even still make the ULF22? It isn't listed on their website. Just the ULF44. Looks like there's only about a $10 between the two of them.

mjw357

Jun 17, 2011
OHIO

Bizkitjmd1

May 21, 2010
CT in good old US of A
You could run two separate external flasher and just diode isolate the two. Set one to the flash pattern you want and the second to steady burn. Not the best way to do it but it would work.

factorone33

Jun 13, 2010
Merriam, KS
You could use a Whelen Pioneer flasher. Power to one terminal will give you a flash pattern (which can be changed), and power to another terminal gives you full power steady burn. Pretty simple (but expensive).

Honestly, the ULF44/ULF22 idea is the best to go with, since it's cheaper, and easier to do.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Safetylight5

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.