Very impressive covoy of a fallen chicago fire fighter

twodogs603

Sep 7, 2011
Norfolk,VA
I thought it was a police funeral for a minute....Never seen that many police units at a firefighters funeral.. Awesome..

What a display of lighting that was. Im used to seeing the green on fire trucks, but looked really weird seeing red/green on unmarked fire vehicles.

And I noticed all the Chicago police vehicles had all blue lights, except for one Crown Vic that had a red/blue lightbar. Anyone know why it was different?

And seeing red/blue on a fire truck looks good, but I think it should be reserved country wide for police.

Last edited by a moderator:

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
I like all of the FDs unmarked cars. Must be higher ups and/or fire marshals.

Feb 4, 2012
Casper, Wyoming
twodogs603 said:
I thought it was a police funeral for a minute....Never seen that many police units at a firefighters funeral.. Awesome..

What a display of lighting that was. Im used to seeing the green on fire trucks, but looked really weird seeing red/green on unmarked fire vehicles.

And I noticed all the Chicago police vehicles had all blue lights, except for one Crown Vic that had a red/blue lightbar. Anyone know why it was different?

And seeing red/blue on a fire truck looks good, but I think it should be reserved country wide for police.

I believe that was a car assigned to one of the airports, been a while since I've been there, but that's the only time I've seen red on a CPD unit.

MJDNRP-6885

Jul 25, 2010
Germantown Hills, IL
twodogs603 said:
And I noticed all the Chicago police vehicles had all blue lights.

Illinois vehicle code (625 ILCS 5/12, Chapter 95 1/2)

Sec. 12-215. Oscillating, rotating or flashing lights on motor vehicles. Except as otherwise provided in this Code:

c) The use of blue oscillating, rotating or flashing lights, whether lighted or unlighted, is prohibited except on:

2. Police department vehicles in cities having a population of 500,000 or more inhabitants.

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
Red/Blue cars are airport units. FAA requires blue or red/blue, not just red. Chicago probably just uses red/blue to distinguish road patrol from airport.

50theman

Feb 1, 2011
Virginia
All the black unmark's are CFD high ups(Commissioners and Chiefs). If I remember correctly the red and blue light unmarked units are the CFD's Internal Affairs Division - Investigators, they are the only LEO sworn staff on the CFD. The Fire Marshals drive marked pickup trucks and are simply Firefighter assigned to O.F.I. and they are not sworn.

twodogs603

Sep 7, 2011
Norfolk,VA
Irsh42 said:
I mean in the end, arn't all of brothers and sister, no matter if were red or blue.

RIP Brother:cry:

Your 100% correct. I thought it was great to see such a great police turnout for a firefighters funeral. They are all in it for the same thing.

And yes they are all brothers and sisters, until this happens, then Im sure the tension builds: (pic from another post)

NY-FDNY-NYPD-TL451.jpg

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
RIP brother.

I didn't know that CPD had so many tahoes! One thing that stood out was one CVPI with R/B (I've personally only seen all Blue on their units).

I LOVEEEEE so many of the unmarked expedition and tahoe setups!!!

NJEMT

May 22, 2010
Essex County, NJ
lafd55 said:
Red/Blue cars are airport units. FAA requires blue or red/blue, not just red. Chicago probably just uses red/blue to distinguish road patrol from airport.

You sure about the FAA thing because all PAPD cars use red only.

Eric223

Sep 23, 2011
USA NY/NJ/VA
NJEMT said:
You sure about the FAA thing because all PAPD cars use red only.

Not entirely true. I've seen plenty of marked PAPD cars with R/B set ups...and not just to the rear.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sadlad

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.