VFD's - better than soap operas

May 21, 2010
LKN, NC
It would not be becoming of me to go into a detailed vent about weird stuff that happens at my station from time-to-time, but damn. Let's just say damned if you do and damned if you don't.

*sigh* can I get an amen?

Pav56C

May 23, 2010
NJ
Voli EMS is much worse, cause its full of house wives.

I got out of that a long time ago. At least fire is prodonimently men, I havent had much trouble with my voli FD

AdaFire38

May 16, 2010
Lowell, MI
Pav56C said:
Voli EMS is much worse, cause its full of house wives.
I got out of that a long time ago. At least fire is prodonimently men, I havent had much trouble with my voli FD

That may be so... but we have a couple "men" (including a LT.) on our department that would give the ladies on Desperate Housewifes or any of those other women dramas a run for their money. If the firehouse isn't stirred up... they ain't happy.

Doug

May 23, 2010
Maryland
AdaFire38 said:
That may be so... but we have a couple "men" (including a LT.) on our department that would give the ladies on Desperate Housewives or any of those other women dramas a run for their money. If the firehouse isn't stirred up... they ain't happy.

Amen. Personally, I'd prefer to SOLVE problems, not create them.

Boss429

May 21, 2010
Pennsylvania
It's a firehouse LEAVE YOUR FEELINGS AT THE DOOR! haha. People are going to make fun of you so deal with it.

It only gets bad at my station when it comes around November thru January, AKA nomination/voting time.

People are not talking to each other. People mad at others and talking behind backs...I just laugh :lol:

Then it goes back to normal in early January.

I'm there to fight fires and help the community out. I'm not there to be everybody's best buddy and I don't crawl up asses cause that's not me. I'm simply there to help. Yeah, I do get along with almost everyone there but I just think that's my personality.

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
WorD

which is why I took a step back to "limited" availability last week and resigned from the administrative board. I have enough BS in my own life. I don't need it with something I should like doing.

Saying one thing one time, but meaning something else or saying something different at another time... all the backstabbing.... This all should be taped and aired M-F from 1pm-4pm... :roll:

May 21, 2010
LKN, NC
"As the red light turns"...I love it!

I agree 100%. I didn't join a VFF to be in a social club. I joined to become a firefighter and serve my commuity. Some people make it a popularity contest and that's where your drama comes from. I don't care who you are or who your daddy is as long as you have my back in a fire.

wkr518

May 22, 2010
42.791127, -73.679758
I am relatively new the vol fire service and I knew ahead of time that these kind of things can happen. I basically show up,do what I need to do or learn what I can and all is well. When the BS effects me doing either then I say something. Having 3 competitive companies under 1 department is helpful at times and "clicky" at other times. I prefer to hang with the veteran guys who do their jobs and have a "fuggit" attitude towards the bs that pops up

May 21, 2010
LKN, NC
AND ANOTHER THING...

I hate this whole "courtesy light" deal. You get to the station, you go to get in the truck and it's full, so you jump back in your car and tuck in behind the truck as it goes down the street. Now, in NC doing this is illegal. But it's still common practice. I really don't like being illegal, but I think I would feel kinda stupid stopping at a red light as the rest of my department blows by me. I mean, I check the intersections to make sure everyone is stopping for the big red truck that I'm behind...I don't just recklessly speed down the road. I think I'm very cautious.

Can I get some wisdom here? Am I behaving reasonably? Or should I really just say "screw it" and drive as "joe public" when I'm following our truck?

UndercoverVLS

Jun 1, 2010
NY
HAHA, you're not alone. I like to call it "Man Drama" and there's plennnntyyy to go around by me.

As far as the courtesy light, I agree its crazy, BUT thats depending on your area. Im in NY and we have Blue lights and they are courtesy lights althought most people do pull over for us. But I must say, and again I'm just going by my geographical area of work, the following the truck thing is a No No. Also need to factor in the amount of members responding/missing the rigs. In my dept, you miss the rig, you just suck it up and hope they are calling for more manpower 20 min into the job (for a fire). There would be wayyy to many members running around following, or trying to catch up to a fire truck, unsafe for everyone involved. Kinda the same reason we are "courtesy" and not emergency vehicles w/ full sirens.

But as stated, I would agree 100% if we were talking about a very rural area like an upstate NY type deal where 99% of the time when you looks R/L there are usually no cars coming.

May 21, 2010
NJ & IA
Dept policy is to respond to firehouse first. unless the scene is in between you and the house. Response to scenes is alright if you are late. Response to high way calls warrants getting a reaming.

this curbs the majority of "tailing the truck"

wkr518

May 22, 2010
42.791127, -73.679758
Non officer types here going to an active scene in POV is not tolerated at all. Unless its aux fire police or a scene support type and they called for manpower.

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
ahhhhh, more tonight. WTF do I even bother anymore?? :? :| :roll: :x

rwo978

May 21, 2010
ND, USA
well, I'm done. BS and dictatorship is NOT worth the stress.

gooseguy

May 23, 2010
Couple of thoughts on the subject:

I have worked both career fire and volunteer fire - drama goes on in every house, it's the nature of the beast.

Having worked for a county EMS agency, career, 24/48 schedule and having worked private/non-profit system status type EMS I can tell you, hands down, EMS is MUCH worse for the drama and I do believe it is because, as sexist as this sounds, the women. (Not to say that the men don't get dramatic, as they do.) By and large, the women bring much more emotional responses into the station and it shows. I don't know if in the fire service they don't let it show because it could show them as being weaker or if they just know it wont be tolerated, in any event, it seems much, much less on the fire side of things.

As far as the light issue goes, our department policy is as follows:

It is PREFERRED that you respond to the station, then the call, unless you are passing the call en route to the station.

If probationary, it is ALMOST required that you come to the station first, but this is situational dependent. (In other words, you better have a damned good reason for going direct to the scene).

If you follow the apparatus to the scene, and are not lit up, you must follow all traffic laws. If you are lit up, you must exercise extreme caution and operate with due regard.

Traffic accidents, fires, wires down, etc all require bunker gear. Since most do not carry the gear with them, they will respond to the station first to get it then the scene. Given the size of our response area (36 sq. miles) most of us are pretty close to the station and arrive in short order and typically all ride together on the apparatus to the scene. I cannot recall a situation where a member has come to the station and responded in their POV before the apparatus left the station.

All in all, if you are going to be following the apparatus and you are not lit, you should be following all traffic laws. This is just common sense - the few seconds you will save following the apparatus while they are lit is not worth the risk you are causing to yourself and others.

This makes me glad that I'm in an all career dept, and there aren't any volunteers around me or my area . Nothing bad against the good volunteers and the ones that are in it for the right reasons....but I've heard you guys talk about all the drama, the pissing matches, the voting, nominations, etc....and there is no way I could deal with that kind of mess.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MikeyJ159

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.