VHF Trbo Repeter

kitn1mcc

May 24, 2010
Old lyme ct
i have been in the process of putting up a TRBO single site (for now) repeater in Middlefield ct. it is on vhf call WPUH662 157.56 in 152.300 out. i have 2 customers right now (one whos land it is on ) and the other is an electrcian friend. i am looking for some more customers in central CT. i have the antenna up as well enclosure more pics to follow

[Broken External Image]:http://www.k1pu.com/Photos/N1MCC_MotoTBRO/files/page36-1008-full.jpg

me up on the smaller ladder truck getting the ground wires half way up (i did the lights on the ladder truck)

[Broken External Image]:http://www.k1pu.com/Photos/N1MCC_MotoTBRO/files/page36-1000-full.jpg

mark k1pu came out and helped out a bit and took the photos and put them on his site

K1PU | Photos | N1MCC MotoTBRO Repeater

also thanks to

Mylchreest Construction Service

for letting me use his man lift (in exchange for fixing his strobes and upgrading some LEDS)

New Image Landscaping who land it is on

and Everett electrcial

and charlie from Conn cable for use of the ladder truck

bwoodruff

Aug 8, 2011
Upstate NY
Just curious, why TRBO vs P25 or even conventional?

kitn1mcc

May 24, 2010
Old lyme ct
bwoodruff said:
Just curious, why TRBO vs P25 or even conventional?

let see

trbo/DMR is actually cheaper and better than Conventional plus you have 2 digital time slots add in GPS and data it not brainer

the repeater it self only costs 1700 for 45 watts

bwoodruff

Aug 8, 2011
Upstate NY
kitn1mcc said:
let see

trbo/DMR is actually cheaper and better than Conventional plus you have 2 digital time slots add in GPS and data it not brainer

the repeater it self only costs 1700 for 45 watts

Good deal. I'd still be curious about the advantages vs P25, which seems to be the more common standard for digital, but I suppose that is for another thread.

Nice install. :)

ryanm

May 20, 2010
Arkansas
bwoodruff said:
Good deal. I'd still be curious about the advantages vs P25, which seems to be the more common standard for digital, but I suppose that is for another thread.

Nice install. :)

TRBO has good availability of less-expensive subscriber units than most P25 (from what I've seen).

ryanm

May 20, 2010
Arkansas
I'm currently working on getting some NXDN digital hardware on the air in both Amateur and commercial service to play with.

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
TRBO is good digital for the commercial use and P25 is good digital for Public Safety use. IMHO.

kitn1mcc

May 24, 2010
Old lyme ct
actually DMR makes great PS service system too. NXDN is ok but both Icom and kenwood just signed on with the DMR

ryanm

May 20, 2010
Arkansas
kitn1mcc said:
...Icom and kenwood just signed on with the DMR

Do you have any references on that? I haven't heard that one.

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
kitn1mcc said:
actually DMR makes great PS service system too. NXDN is ok but both Icom and kenwood just signed on with the DMR
When I said TRBO I meant MOTOTRBO, and I know for a fact that doesn't work for Public Safety.

Steve0625

Jun 23, 2010
Northville NY
lafd55 said:
When I said TRBO I meant MOTOTRBO, and I know for a fact that doesn't work for Public Safety.

And yet a local (to both you and me) /\/\ sales and service outlet is running around telling PS folks that they must buy MOTOTRBO now to be compatible for the future. And he said this to me knowing darned well that our county is 99.999% likely to remain VHF analog conventional for many, many years to come.

johnwadeg

May 27, 2011
Georgia
Steve0625 said:
And yet a local (to both you and me) /\/\ sales and service outlet is running around telling PS folks that they must buy MOTOTRBO now to be compatible for the future. And he said this to me knowing darned well that our county is 99.999% likely to remain VHF analog conventional for many, many years to come.

Glad to hear its not just happening down here...

kitn1mcc

May 24, 2010
Old lyme ct
there are a few p/s trbo/dmr system on the air now and they seem to be happy with them how does it not work

lafd55

May 27, 2010
New York, USA
fireman658 said:
I'm listening...........
I'm sure the system works fine, just the radios Motorola uses for MOTOTRBO suck, as a local FD was using it but is now slowly going back to previous system. Their system was less then 2 years old.

kitn1mcc

May 24, 2010
Old lyme ct
they must have not been keeping up with firm ware upgrades the 6550 are a rock solid portable and can take a soaking too. the newer radios are great. you look at the specs even in analog there better than the waris series. the new radios also support otap

Cam

May 20, 2010
MO
lafd55 said:
I know for a fact that it does. You can't always go off of marketing hype.

kitn1mcc

May 24, 2010
Old lyme ct
well i have my repeater up and running. 152.300 TX 157.56 RX located in middlefield ct

SLot 1 Group 6 is my group

Slot 1 Group 5 Everett Electrcial Contractor

Slot 2 Group 4 is New Image landscaping

if your in the area stop by slot one group 6 and say hi i am squad 39 on there

i am looking for 2 more to put on the machine

thanks goes to

New Image Landscaping for the land use

Mylchreest Construction for use of a man lift

CT Cable for use of the power ladder and Ditch Witch work

Everett electrical for wiring to be done

Sandy's/Escomm for the machine

Tessco for all the other goodies

ai32.photobucket.com_albums_d20_kitn1mcc_302805_4789262926472_520018288_n.jpg

AZEMT

May 21, 2010
Phoenix, AZ USA
Cam said:
I know for a fact that it does. You can't always go off of marketing hype.

What's the basis for the assertion that such and such radio system "doesn't work for public safety?" I know that certain bands are designated for public safety, and that radio companies design and market certain features and radios to public safety sector (i.e. XTS, and the new 7000 series), but at the end of the day, doesn't any radio that delivers voice communication from one point to another point to the satisfaction of the parties using it "work" for public safety? The air doesn't care what kind of traffice you're sending over it, or how much the brick that you're talking into costs. This argument has always puzzled me.

I know there are issues with system interoperability, mutual aid, etc. etc. etc., but those are all regulatory decisions. I'm talking about the radios themselves.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sanman

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.