Vingtage Mars Motor Repair

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
Thought I would share a motor repair I just completed. I had someone send me a Mars motor from an Aurora Borealis. The report was that it was slow an intermittent. this is what I found when I opened it up. The fiber board that holds the brushes had fragmented from age. The brushes were loose and I am surprised it ran at all.

20180311_184441 (Medium).jpg

I took the motor apart and reassembled the board as best as I could onto a piece of tape to hold it secure.

20180311_193528 (Medium).jpg

Using the as a pattern I traced it onto a piece of Kydex, marked the holes and fabricated a mounting board.

20180313_162710 (Medium).jpg

Remounted the brushes onto the board

20180313_180218 (Medium).jpg

and the job was finished.

20180313_200718 (Medium).jpg

The motor runs like a top and will be remounted into the AB by this weekend.

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
Thats an excellent repair. Job well done and thanks for sharing your work

Thank you. I wanted to show that these old motors can be fixed even when you think all is loss. If anyone had opened this motor up they would have likely trashed it. There are some that are unrepairable, but most that have been sent to me I have been able to get going again.

res1cue2001

Dec 10, 2012
Central Virginia
Thank you. I wanted to show that these old motors can be fixed even when you think all is loss. If anyone had opened this motor up they would have likely trashed it. There are some that are unrepairable, but most that have been sent to me I have been able to get going again.
Question for you, is the motor assembly for a MARS DX the sanme as the motor assembly for a DL?

Skulldigger

Aug 23, 2015
Georgia / USA
Question for you, is the motor assembly for a MARS DX the sanme as the motor assembly for a DL?

I'm not sure what DX and DL stand for. Not real familiar with Mars items. But, all of these beacon motors are nearly the same inside whether it's Federal, Mars or others. As long as it's the same size as the older motors. the newer really small motors are more disposable and difficult to work on.

FCV96

May 8, 2013
Queens, NY
In a world seemingly dominated by throwing things away, it's nice to see something repaired. Especially in the case of largely irreplaceable motors! You've done an excellent job, and thanks for posting the photos.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.