Vintage New York Police lights

PasteryBaker

Oct 12, 2012
New York New York
I just joined a few minutes ago folks. Great site and a wealth of info.I wanted to become more edu-amacted about New York City police vintage lamps. i found a guy that has a NYPD vintage aero (same as pic) in fair shape for 90$ and he has a second one in mint for 190$. He has also a Advantage Transit police lightbar 90$ like the one in the pic. And has a STreethawk housing police lightbar 90$ (like in the pic) and also a visions lightbar NYPD old style from the early 90's (no controller) 90$

all bars work.

I was thinking of buying all of them and restoring them and trying to flip them for a profit to use the money to pay off my hospital bills. Is this worth the risk? How much should I offer him? And which lightbars are rare and valuable? And how much can I get for them on the lightbar market today(assuming they are in good shape with no problems) Thanks

nypd1995.jpg

nypdf310.jpg

nypdf321.jpg

denko3

Jul 31, 2010
SLOVENIA,EUROPE
YESSSS,buy them all,trust me!

PasteryBaker said:
I just joined a few minutes ago folks. Great site and a wealth of info.I wanted to become more edu-amacted about New York City police vintage lamps. i found a guy that has a NYPD vintage aero (same as pic) in fair shape for 90$ and he has a second one in mint for 190$. He has also a Advantage Transit police lightbar 90$ like the one in the pic. And has a STreethawk housing police lightbar 90$ (like in the pic) and also a visions lightbar NYPD old style from the early 90's (no controller) 90$

all bars work.

I was thinking of buying all of them and restoring them and trying to flip them for a profit to use the money to pay off my hospital bills. Is this worth the risk? How much should I offer him? And which lightbars are rare and valuable? And how much can I get for them on the lightbar market today(assuming they are in good shape with no problems) Thanks

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Forget the lightbars: I want the little Plymouth Gran Fury at the top and the nice old Caprice below it. I've had both at one time or another and they were great cars. Surpisingly enough, the big Caprice with the LT-1 engine got very good gas mileage!

tsquale

Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
I say buy the first three. He's asking $370 for them...offer $300, meet somewhere in between. If you are willing to put some elbow grease into them (&ship) I think you should easily recoupe your investment and then some.

Zapp Brannigan

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 23, 2010
I like the Aero and the AdvantEdge, if the right price came up I might buy them!!!

PasteryBaker

Oct 12, 2012
New York New York
ChargerLighting said:
I'd buy everything he has except the Streethawk; unless it's basically mint. & if you do buy / decide to sell the NYPD Aerotwin(s), let me know.

I sure will contact you in the near future . I actually have a paypal account BTW

Thanks

RyanZ71

Jun 14, 2011
Denver, Colorado
Skip Goulet said:
Forget the lightbars: I want the little Plymouth Gran Fury at the top and the nice old Caprice below it. I've had both at one time or another and they were great cars. Surpisingly enough, the big Caprice with the LT-1 engine got very good gas mileage!

That Caprice is a 91 or 92 with the standard 5.7L 190HP V-8. The 1989-1993 engines were pretty much the same, fuel injected.

1989 & 1990 were the Box Cars (Prior model Caprice's had carb'd engines)

1991 & 1992 were the "Scuds" with the rear wheel well skirts, 1993 had the open wheel well

1994-1996 had the 5.7L LT-1 derived 260HP engine. And they were still faster and better than the last year of the Crown Vic!

I had a 93 Caprice 9C1 ex Colorado State Patrol. Was the best sedan I ever had, though I would have been ecstatic if I had a 94-96. Dream car is a 94-96 Impala SS

PasteryBaker

Oct 12, 2012
New York New York
tsquale said:
I say buy the first three. He's asking $370 for them...offer $300, meet somewhere in between. If you are willing to put some elbow grease into them (&ship) I think you should easily recoupe your investment and then some.

Thanks great advice. Will be in touch

Hoser

Jun 25, 2010
Ohio
I agree with buying them. If they are nice bars. Remember condition is everything when it comes to collecting. Your not goin to get rich of them but you can make some money. Your going to have to learn how to ship them or pay someone to do it for you. But hey thats what were here for.....

dg0223

Feb 20, 2011
USA/Texas
I don't want to be the one to rain on your parade, so I'll try and be as diplomatic as possible. First, restoring lightbars isn't as easy as "just polishing them up." There are several levels of restoration. I am a basic restorer, at best. I take them apart, clean them up, regrease them, and polish up the lenses or domes. Then, on the other end of the spectrum, there are guys on here who restore lightbars to better than new condition. That being said, keep in mind you're going to have to spend some money if you want to restore a lightbar. You're going to need a decent set of tools. I can't tell you how many times I've had to run to Lowes or Sears to get a deep socket of some measurement I didn't have to get to a bolt keeping a lightbar tray down. Then there's all the rags, degreasers, cleaners, Mothers Powerballs, Meguiars polish, and wet sandpaper. Then there's the big one: time. It's going to take time to do all of these things. I can't tell you how many project bars I have in the back storage shed that I will "eventually" get to. There aren't enough hours in the day, and there aren't enough days in the year to get to all the projects. And that's because I still haven't gotten a chance to go pick up at least two other lightbars from a friend of mine so I can get started on them.

Then there's the hunt for parts. The lightbars might look OK, but keep in mind lots of these lightbars have plastic parts that have been baking in the sun for a very long time. I had to trash an Aerodynic project not too long ago because I couldn't find which gear was crapping out on me causing the motor gears to strip. I blew through three Aerodynic motors before I had to cut my losses. I still can't find rotators for an LP6000. All this hunting adds to the time factor I was talking about.

Some of the lightbars you have are desirable. Be prepared to sift through a mountain of PM's for the AeroTwins and the Advantedge. I'm sure there are already board members who are calling "dibs" on your find. There might even be people asking you who you're trying to buy them from "just in case" you're not going to buy them. Also, be equally prepared for people to get mad at you because you didn't sell them the lightbar. Also, you mentioned the prices the seller was asking for, so your profit may not be as much as you originally wanted it to be. In the future, unless you're going to keep the lightbars, I would stay away from mentioning how much you originally paid for your finds.

I would avoid messing with anything in the Vision/Vector family. They're too cumbersome to store, and even worse to ship. Although it's an NYPD lightbar, Visions/Vectors can be found cheaper than what the seller is asking for. Same goes for the Streethawk. Unless it's a rare Strobehawk or Firehawk, they can also be found way cheaper, considering the NYPD setup wasn't anything out of the ordinary.

You mentioned medical bills, so I will conclude my rant by saying I hope you are in good health, and I hope you're going to be OK. Lightbar collecting is a unique hobby. Just keep in mind you're going to have to pump some money in to the restoration process in order to make a profit on your finds. Good luck.

JohnMarcson

Administrator
May 7, 2010
Northwest Ohio
The transit police advantedge is a great find.... glued lenses are rare.

PasteryBaker

Oct 12, 2012
New York New York
dg0223 said:
I don't want to be the one to rain on your parade, so I'll try and be as diplomatic as possible. First, restoring lightbars isn't as easy as "just polishing them up." There are several levels of restoration. I am a basic restorer, at best. I take them apart, clean them up, regrease them, and polish up the lenses or domes. Then, on the other end of the spectrum, there are guys on here who restore lightbars to better than new condition. That being said, keep in mind you're going to have to spend some money if you want to restore a lightbar. You're going to need a decent set of tools. I can't tell you how many times I've had to run to Lowes or Sears to get a deep socket of some measurement I didn't have to get to a bolt keeping a lightbar tray down. Then there's all the rags, degreasers, cleaners, Mothers Powerballs, Meguiars polish, and wet sandpaper. Then there's the big one: time. It's going to take time to do all of these things. I can't tell you how many project bars I have in the back storage shed that I will "eventually" get to. There aren't enough hours in the day, and there aren't enough days in the year to get to all the projects. And that's because I still haven't gotten a chance to go pick up at least two other lightbars from a friend of mine so I can get started on them.

Then there's the hunt for parts. The lightbars might look OK, but keep in mind lots of these lightbars have plastic parts that have been baking in the sun for a very long time. I had to trash an Aerodynic project not too long ago because I couldn't find which gear was crapping out on me causing the motor gears to strip. I blew through three Aerodynic motors before I had to cut my losses. I still can't find rotators for an LP6000. All this hunting adds to the time factor I was talking about.

Some of the lightbars you have are desirable. Be prepared to sift through a mountain of PM's for the AeroTwins and the Advantedge. I'm sure there are already board members who are calling "dibs" on your find. There might even be people asking you who you're trying to buy them from "just in case" you're not going to buy them. Also, be equally prepared for people to get mad at you because you didn't sell them the lightbar. Also, you mentioned the prices the seller was asking for, so your profit may not be as much as you originally wanted it to be. In the future, unless you're going to keep the lightbars, I would stay away from mentioning how much you originally paid for your finds.

I would avoid messing with anything in the Vision/Vector family. They're too cumbersome to store, and even worse to ship. Although it's an NYPD lightbar, Visions/Vectors can be found cheaper than what the seller is asking for. Same goes for the Streethawk. Unless it's a rare Strobehawk or Firehawk, they can also be found way cheaper, considering the NYPD setup wasn't anything out of the ordinary.

You mentioned medical bills, so I will conclude my rant by saying I hope you are in good health, and I hope you're going to be OK. Lightbar collecting is a unique hobby. Just keep in mind you're going to have to pump some money in to the restoration process in order to make a profit on your finds. Good luck.

Wow Thanks for that advice. I appreciate you taking the time to write all that. I agree with you. I actually always wanted the NYPD aeros as a kid . I actually was thinking of buying one for myself and selling the other one. But due to bills, im just trying to scratch every dollar together, just to even pay for gas lol. I actually have all the tools for the lightbars to fix. I just dont know anything about wet sanding. I have a friend whom had the lightbars in a basement. He had a tow company so he just stored them . They are 100% from surplus auctions. I have seen some of those aero NYPD on here for 400$ area. Im going to research and i just may hold off due to the shipping and heavy loading. Im not in the best health with my collitis. But im fine for now thanks for asking. You never know when your going to have a rainy day . Im just going to have to do some more reasearch on this area of lightbars before i purchase them I just wanted to get some advice on seeing if i was over paying for them with that guy. Thankgod for this informative website here. I dont know if i would ship them out if i sell them on here due to the packing and heavy lifting my body cant handle. I would prefer local pickup if i do purchase them and post them on here. Thanks:thumbsup:

dg0223

Feb 20, 2011
USA/Texas
One of the things you have going for you is the fact that you probably won't have to ship the lightbars, since there are several members who are within driving distance who will be more than happy to take them off your hands.

I'm sure everything will work out well for you. Another good thing is there are several members on here who will be more than happy to help you with any questions you may have.

Have a good one.

:thumbsup:

toon80

May 24, 2010
Laval, Canada
I agree with dg0223.

Restoring these bars for a profit, even if they end up in tip top condition at a good price, will take a lot of labor, even though you have the resources. Wet sanding the domes alone, especially AeroDynic ones, take a lot of time, if you want them to look good.

If you want infos on polishing AeroDynic domes, look this NYPD Aero restoration I did last year:

http://elightbars.org/forums/f32/dome-polishing-95/index2.html#post137511

My method, -with helpful tips of other members here- is described in this link. I must say that I spent at least 8-10 hours PER dome to get there, and I had the wet sanding experience from other AeroDynic domes before. That time alone would've made me more money if I stayed at work for overtime ;)

I restore bars for their aesthetic side, not for profit, though. After spending days of work on them, I'd have a hard time to part with them.

That being said, you have valuable bars there. I am no Whelen expert but that Advantedge seems to be a much sought after bar. You might not make a huge profit out of these, but I doubt you would loose in the end either.

Good luck and keep us updated! :thumbsup:

-Toon

PasteryBaker

Oct 12, 2012
New York New York
Thanks guys and to especially Toon and the other couple posters before him for the positive advice. That is awesome and i will take it into consideration. Im going to look at these bars this week and see what the damage is. Then if i can get a good deal from the dude , i may test the waters and take a shot and post the 2 aeros and advatge bar. I may forget about the NYPD vision.

(since it has no controller)

I will try sell them locally with pickup from the 11235 zip.

Thats if i buy them first.

Thanks everyone for the help. You guys seem like great neighbors lol

foxtrot5

Sep 26, 2011
Charleston Area, SC, US
dg0223 said:
I would avoid messing with anything in the Vision/Vector family. They're too cumbersome to store, and even worse to ship.

While generally true, I personally have 3 full size Vectors and one 3-pod mini in my current collection. I'm a huge fan of the Vector/Vision series, the only problem is getting people to ship them when I want to buy one.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
RyanZ71 said:
That Caprice is a 91 or 92 with the standard 5.7L 190HP V-8. The 1989-1993 engines were pretty much the same, fuel injected.

1989 & 1990 were the Box Cars (Prior model Caprice's had carb'd engines)

1991 & 1992 were the "Scuds" with the rear wheel well skirts, 1993 had the open wheel well

1994-1996 had the 5.7L LT-1 derived 260HP engine. And they were still faster and better than the last year of the Crown Vic!

I had a 93 Caprice 9C1 ex Colorado State Patrol. Was the best sedan I ever had, though I would have been ecstatic if I had a 94-96. Dream car is a 94-96 Impala SS

My '94, which was stolen in '02, had been a police car and then a taxi. However, it drove like a dream, and as I mentioned, great on gas. I actually still have the title and it never turned up. I know a guy in Indiana who bought one of the new '96 Impala SSs that was on the old Caprice chassis/body, and it was quite a runner. We went on a trip from Indiana to PA in the summer of '99, and on those turnpikes, that car got up and scooted:much too fast for the slower speed limits. He would've liked it here in TX, where the Interstate speedlimits are 75 and 80, depending on where in TX! I also once owned an '86 Gran Fury, which had been a state vehicle, not a police car. It ran well and got good gas mileage. Traded it for a '78 Suburban!

PasteryBaker

Oct 12, 2012
New York New York
LATEST UPDATE FELLOW LIGHT-ERS

I have the bars in my possession.

-3 NYPD aero's

-1 NYPD 70's gumball light, possibly signal stat

pics now here

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
PasteryBaker said:
LATEST UPDATE FELLOW LIGHT-ERS

I have the bars in my possession.

-3 NYPD aero's

-1 NYPD 70's gumball light, possibly signal stat

-many NYPD lens

-various par 36 aero bulbs (red etc.)

PICS coming in hours.

Thanks

Way to go !

CHIEFOPS

Jan 24, 2011
NYC
The Transit bar- I'm not sure whether it was the AdvantEdge, but I do remember it was a halogen bar with 6 or 8 independent rotators under candystriped domes consisting of red and clear segments glued together, essentially a Whelen AeroDynic. It made an awesome signal when activated. You can thank Bill Bratton for the new color scheme and graphics, he brought the Transit Police out of the stone age.

PasteryBaker

Oct 12, 2012
New York New York
UPDATE AS OF TONIGHT 2 AM

This is all I have

-3 Aero NYPD (2z model)

( 1 of the bars has a non matching reverse dome) Top bar in pic (Must have been a field replacement dome switch)

ALL of the bars work, revolve, flash, and all light bulbs light

There is some sun fading and minor scratching. It doesnt appear that there are any cracks but no guarantees they are old and as is"

I believe one has no mounting feet.

ALSO

A signal stat NYPD gum ball light w/ 4 bulbs, it works, revolves and lights

Dome is cracked bad

For the bars im asking 250 , and for the gumball I dont know what its worth , just shoot me a offer

I would prefer pickup from Brooklyn

These items are not mint they are old and are in fair conditon to good condtion.

If anyone wants to set up an appointment im in the 11235 zip. Im free all week , monday im going on vaction maybe. So please PM me with your phone number and you can drop buy this week .

001.JPG

005.JPG

006.JPG

008.JPG

010.JPG

011.JPG

018.JPG

022.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:

pc0k894

Sep 7, 2010
Midwest USA
Am I the only one who is slightly insulted that 4 days ago he says he's getting these used lightbars for between $90 and $190 a piece, admits he knows nothing about how to fix/polish/restore them and now he has the stones to offer them here for $250 a piece? Why not cut out the middle man and just tell us where you got them so we can get one for ourselves without having to pay you upwards of a 250% profit for doing nothing?

The sad thing is that some of the basement dwelling, lightbar hoarders here will pay for them. Then they will post photos or a video of them and the rest of the people here will respond with comments like "SWEET" and "Nice score", as if they actually did something to find the bar.

emtanderson51

Apr 9, 2011
USA Massachusetts
pc0k894 said:
Am I the only one who is slightly insulted that 4 days ago he says he's getting these used lightbars for between $90 and $190 a piece, admits he knows nothing about how to fix/polish/restore them and now he has the stones to offer them here for $250 a piece? Why not cut out the middle man and just tell us where you got them so we can get one for ourselves without having to pay you upwards of a 250% profit for doing nothing?

The sad thing is that some of the basement dwelling, lightbar hoarders here will pay for them. Then they will post photos or a video of them and the rest of the people here will respond with comments like "SWEET" and "Nice score", as if they actually did something to find the bar.

I completely disagree........good for this guy to be lucky enough to find this nice haul.......I would be charging $300 PLUS shipping. If I didn't already have a mint one I'd be a buyer as $250 plus shipping is definitely a fair price. Nice score man! Kudos!

PasteryBaker

Oct 12, 2012
New York New York
emtanderson51 said:
I completely disagree........good for this guy to be lucky enough to find this nice haul.......I would be charging $300 PLUS shipping. If I didn't already have a mint one I'd be a buyer as $250 plus shipping is definitely a fair price. Nice score man! Kudos!

Thanks anderson . 99 percent of people on here seem cool and respectable. There is always one douche .I dont take anything personal . There are alot of jealous negative individuals out here. Like i said in my first post , i was honest and explained to people i need the money for bills for health and etc. You would think a normal person would have said ," sure hope your doing ok and great you found a way to make money to extend your health. But no. Maybe that hater should pay my bills? And shut up?

Anyways I am still selling my signal stat beacon only.

take care and good luck

Mars Light

Jun 23, 2011
Leipzig, Germany
Some general questions about the use of Visions and AeroDynics:

I´ve found this 1990 Caprice with a FedSig Vision.

NYPD RMP 2381 (OCD) | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Normally the Vision is in use for the first time with the new style of the Caprice in 1991.

And the Caprice until 1990 use the AeroDynic 24RMVF-2Z.

Is there evidence or pictures for a reverse use, so the ´91 Caprice with a AeroDynic?

In my opinion that I would have seen this before.

Skip Goulet

Feb 23, 2011
Midland, TX
Mars Light said:
Some general questions about the use of Visions and AeroDynics:

I´ve found this 1990 Caprice with a FedSig Vision.

NYPD RMP 2381 (OCD) | Flickr - Photo Sharing!

Normally the Vision is in use for the first time with the new style of the Caprice in 1991.

And the Caprice until 1990 use the AeroDynic 24RMVF-2Z.

Is there evidence or pictures for a reverse use, so the ´91 Caprice with a AeroDynic?

In my opinion that I would have seen this before.

I think you're right. I've not seen them on vehicles that far back. It might replace something else they had on the car that went bad, or they just decided to update and pull what was there before.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArizonaFireTruckParty

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.