Vintage NYPD lights (signal stat)

empire5150

Aug 13, 2013
NH
Can anyone tell me what the correct set up was for NYPD when they had the 2 signal stat 4 beam beacons? I'm building a replica and I have the 2 signal stat beacons with clear domes, red clear bulbs. I was wondering exactly what bar they were mounted on and what else was on the bar? Thanks!

Last edited:
The flashing lights was actually two white Trio Sales T-2's that Signal Stat sold as their own.
The T-2 was made in black (as the LAPD ones), white, red and green.

Michael

Reactions: FCV96
I think the first sirens that were used with that bar were the Signal Stat VIs (c. early 1970s). They had yelp and hi-lo tones only, and the yelp sounded like the early Smith & Wesson Magnum series electronic sirens. The later NYPD Signal Stat sirens sounded different.

As much light as the new LED bars put out... I miss the cool old fashioned lights like this. My department had crappy Code 3 rotators when I started... ugly and ineffective. Looking at those old time bars, I have to imagine they were impressive lights at the time. Those 2 red can lights up front, I bet they could be seen from quite the distance!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Jmqc3274