Vintage NYPD shops Question

Jamie Trow

Feb 2, 2018
New York
How did the NYPD shops change the Bulbs atop the roof of the Beacon Rays. I myself changed the bulbs from a few Beacon Rays that are already off..and you need to take the 3 screws off the skirt and pretty much flip it upside down..slide it out of the dome...you can't do that if its bolted down on top....just curious..???

- Jamie

kerry4951

Mar 10, 2014
Central Pa
The internal plate is secured to the roof, the chrome base is not. Once the 3 screws are removed, the chrome base will lift up and over the dome.Once the base is off the dome can be removed. I always felt that it could of been a better set up, but who am I.

Reactions: dmathieu

Jamie Trow

Feb 2, 2018
New York
That looks like an amber fog (fluted) thanks..by the way..as much as movies go, The 1973 - "Across 110th Street", starring Anthony Quinn, towards the end..there's a scene showing a nice closeup of a amber fog..now, although it's a movie, it's still circa 1973..it was r/r/a/r...

NESQ115

Jan 21, 2012
New York
Yes, it should be Red/Red/Amber/Red (during the 1963-72 era). In NYPD's custom configuration, the two back-to-back reds are slightly angled up & down (one red is 15 degrees up, and the opposite red is 30 degrees down). The amber, and the red behind it, are level.

Beacon Ray 175-H on NYPD '70 Ford.jpg

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.