Vintage Whelen switchbox manual needed

shues

Lifetime VIP Supporter
That is a Whelen model PCC. Have a look at a catalog page from 1990:

Credit: John Marcson

With that said, I think you would be wise to remove the cover and check which wires lead to which switch. There's no telling if someone was inside before you and changed which wires go where.

OP
OP
Mattdecker

Mattdecker

That is a Whelen model PCC. Have a look at a catalog page from 1990:
Credit: John Marcson With that said, I think you would be wise to remove the cover and check which wires lead to which switch. There's no telling if someone was inside before you and changed which wires go where.
Thanks. I looked in the vintage Whelen section but on my phone it wouldn’t show any pictures at all. I’ll try to look on my laptop tonight.

I plan on taking it apart tonight and taking a look at it more in depth. The fuse block is extremely dirty so I’ll definitely be cleaning it off with a wire brush. I got it from a trusted source who says it works.

But definitely plan on cleaning before I install it in my truck.

Also need to find out what type of bulb it takes for the back light. Included is a picture of the bulb holder.

Attachments

shues

Lifetime VIP Supporter
I find it interesting that the socket has a two-pin base, as if the bulb has two filaments. I think I only see one wire leading to the socket, so that only one filament would be lit. Is the socket the right size to fit an 1157?

OP
OP
Mattdecker

Mattdecker

I find it interesting that the socket has a two-pin base, as if the bulb has two filaments. I think I only see one wire leading to the socket, so that only one filament would be lit. Is the socket the right size to fit an 1157?
It looks like it might be. I’ll try when I get home from work in a little while.

OP
OP
Mattdecker

Mattdecker

I bought a couple 1157 bulbs to see if they’d work.

shues

Lifetime VIP Supporter
After further research, I realize there is more to the story. The good news is, if the 1157 fits the socket, then you know you have what is known as a BA15D base lamp. This nomenclature indicates a bayonet base of 15 mm diameter with dual contacts.

There are several other wattage lamps available with the same base, some of which have only a single filament. Here's one resource:

http://www.bulbtown.com/Double_Contact_D_C_Bayonet_Base_BA15d_Base_Light_Bulbs_s/960.htm

Last edited:
OP
OP
Mattdecker

Mattdecker

After further research, I realize there is more to the story. The good news is, if the 1157 fits the socket, then you know you have what is known as a BA15D base lamp. This nomenclature indicates a bayonet base of 15 mm diameter with dual contacts.

There are several other wattage lamps available with the same base, some of which have only a single filament. Here's one resource:

http://www.bulbtown.com/Double_Contact_D_C_Bayonet_Base_BA15d_Base_Light_Bulbs_s/960.htm
So, someone indicated on a Facebook post of mine that it take a W68 bulb which isn’t made anymore.

Does that mean the 1157 bulb will work or will it cause damage if I try using this.

Also forgot to mention that this switchbox will not be hooked to anything that comes on with the ignition. I believe the reason I’m having parking lights blow is due to my Pa640 being hooked up to come on with the ignition.

shues

Lifetime VIP Supporter
There are currently two W68 bulbs on eBay, here: http://cgi.ebay.com/163452546177

Check the bulb socket and determine where both of the contacts at the base of the socket are connected. It looks as though the base contact on the right-hand side of the photo is connected to the short black wire with a ring terminal that is connected to ground.

If that is in fact the case, then only one of the two filaments of your 1157 would light up when the base contact on the left-hand side of the photo is connected to +12v DC. Both ends of the other filament would be connected to ground.

Members online

Latest Listings

Top Bottom