Vision X OptiTech LED beacons

tsquale

Site Minion
Lifetime VIP Donor
Oct 12, 2010
Minnesota, USA
www.youtube.com
A late night perusal of the interwebs led me to the Vision X USA website. I was surprised to find that they have quite the array of warning beacons and found their OptiTech LED beacons that are very similar to other rotating LED beacons currently available.Of note, they only list the amber ones as available in all mounting options. The rest are only listed as flange mounts.

Title/Name of item - OptiTech LED Beacon
Manufacturer - Vision X USA
Model Number - OPT-85660R & OPT-85660B
Link to manufacturer - https://www.visionxusa.com/
How/why you got it - I decided to purchase one red and one blue to test and play with.
Purpose/Description - This is a self contained 360 degree LED beacon with a rotating reflector.
How you tested it/results - I ran them for an hour inside. Both ran extremely smoothly with no problems with heat or noise. They are very quiet running. As shown in my videos below, the beacons use WHITE LEDs under a colored dome. The red shows up crisp but the blue does wash out to be more white. I did find it interesting that the base under the reflector is a translucent orange material that acts as a steady burn all around. There is no way to turn that off and while it looks great under a red dome, it does look a bit odd under the blue dome. All said and done, I believe that the red and amber models will likely be the best performers.

Rating (1-10, 10 is best)
  • Durability 8
  • Performance/Usefulness 10 for red, 5 for blue
  • Innovation 3 (ECCO beat them to it)
  • Appearance 7 for red, 3 for blue
  • Price 9
  • Other (shipping) 10

Total 7.8 for RED, 6.3 for BLUE

Website URL to purchase: https://www.visionxusa.com/shop/optitech-led-beacon/
MSRP: Flange mount, and color $83 USD, dual color $99 USD

On their website, Vision X claims the following:

FEATURES​

• 2x brighter than SAE class 1 standard; ultra smooth rotating beam
  • Visibility range comparable to 55W or 70W halogen bulb version
  • Virtually unbreakable polycarbonate lens
  • Stepper motor for reliable, quiet operation
  • Fully sealed and waterproof with heavy duty die-cast aluminum base, IP-67 rated
  • Available in all public safety colors and a dual color amber/green
  • Operating Temp: -22°F to +176°F
  • 3 Year Warranty
  • Available in flange mount, pole mount clamp, magnet mount
The are about 5.5" tall and 6" in diameter and feel very sturdy with some weight to them (just shy of 1lb). Unboxing them, they were safely packaged and included a foam gasket, mounting hardware and instructions.

Sales brochure: https://www.visionxusa.com/wp-conte...ng-Optitech-LED-Beacon-Series-Sales-Sheet.pdf

Video of the RED one with and without the dome:
Video of the BLUE one:

OPT-85690A_1.jpg

These are cool looking, I'm glad someone took a look at them. I'd feel better about them if they didn't look so much like Federal Vision led pods and have vision in their name. Something about that doesn't sit right with me.

Great review, good points. I agree about the base of the blue one glowing a different color...odd. I agree that the white LEDs seem to do best underneath the red or Amber domes. I'm sure it was a cost choice, but it seems like using the same colored LED would have made more sense. Looks like the green Amber split version might actually do that using the proper color LEDs since the outer dome is clear. I do like them though, they just seem like amber and red were fine but blue should not have been launched in this state.

Last edited:

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gerryp951