Vista OHSP Man Down LED Wiring

mls60442

Jul 18, 2010
IL
I picked up an Ohio State Highway Patrol Vista bar a few weeks ago. The blue Man Down LED was disconnected from the Man Down PCB and wired to the main LED flasher. I would like to get it back to its original configuration but can't remember which connection is the positive and which is negative on the PCB board and I can't find anything from Federal Signal. The guy told me which was which and, thinking I was going to do it right away, I didn't write it down. I'm pretty sure they go to H1 and H4, just not sure which wire to which connection.

20170331_135335.jpg

Last edited:

mls60442

Jul 18, 2010
IL
Let me pose the question this way. Will I damage the board, LED module, or any other components if I hook it up the way I believe it goes and I am wrong?

buddek09

Aug 15, 2012
US, Ohio
I'm not familiar with these light bars but their is a possibility you could damage the LED module or board if you wire it up wrong. If you know for sure it was hooked up to both pins then based on the labels H1 would be your positive output. Otherwise the Man Down LED could have been grounded to the frame instead of one the pins on the circuit board. If you have a volt meter you could check each pin for power and ground. You would have to power the whole bar up though to ensure that one of the pins, H1 or H4, is in fact ground and not an unused positive output for some other function. Their is no easy way for someone to tell unless they have the same Vista bar, the circuit board, or a schematic of the circuit board to know which pin is which.

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
Did you call federal or maybe call ohsp place that install these?

OSP959(R)

Mar 22, 2011
Ohio
OSHP isn't going to tell you anything. I'm surprised that nobody has given an answer to this. There are a ton of these bars out there. I have one, but it's in Ohio and I'm in Texas.

BTW, it's a hostage light. When that's on, the CB radio and LEERN radio is disabled.

Reactions: kadetklapp

shues

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
NW Indiana
https://www.fedsig.com/resource-document/file/8160

The manual indicates that the man-down light is triggered by providing power to the grey wire.

The photo you've provided of the circuit board shows a grey wire leading to a terminal marked PLUS. It appears that there is a trace leading from that terminal, to the two-amp mini-fuse, and to the terminal marked LED PLUS H1.

If that grey wire pictured does indeed extend down the main cable, out of the lightbar, and to your switch panel, then you should be able to ground the man-down light's negative side and connect its positive side to the terminal marked LED PLUS H1.

mls60442

Jul 18, 2010
IL
If you have a volt meter you could check each pin for power and ground. You would have to power the whole bar up though to ensure that one of the pins, H1 or H4, is in fact ground and not an unused positive output for some other function. Their is no easy way for someone to tell unless they have the same Vista bar, the circuit board, or a schematic of the circuit board to know which pin is which.

It figures I manage to completely bypass the easiest way to figure it out...

https://www.fedsig.com/resource-document/file/8160

The manual indicates that the man-down light is triggered by providing power to the grey wire.

The photo you've provided of the circuit board shows a grey wire leading to a terminal marked PLUS. It appears that there is a trace leading from that terminal, to the two-amp mini-fuse, and to the terminal marked LED PLUS H1.

If that grey wire pictured does indeed extend down the main cable, out of the lightbar, and to your switch panel, then you should be able to ground the man-down light's negative side and connect its positive side to the terminal marked LED PLUS H1.

Yeah, that is indeed the gray wire. I saw the trace connecting the terminal and the fuse which was making me think H1 was the proper terminal. I'll check it out tonight.

Jarred, I would eventually contact Federal if needed, but wanted to try here first. I'm in no rush connecting these as they are only collection bars.

Thank you for the responses!

upnorth896

Dec 13, 2011
MI
Not sure if it'll help, but the pdf is attached for the Federal Signal OSHP Vista. It does mention the "Man Down" (blue LED) and gray wire on page 3, 4 & 5. Got it off Federal Signal website.

Attachments

• 2561865.pdf
    185.1 KB · Views: 4

mls60442

Jul 18, 2010
IL
Not sure if it'll help, but the pdf is attached for the Federal Signal OSHP Vista. It does mention the "Man Down" (blue LED) and gray wire on page 3, 4 & 5. Got it off Federal Signal website.
Yeah, I had that PDF. I knew the gray wire activated it, just wasn't sure about the wiring on the PCB board which unfortunately that PDF does not show. I got it all figured out though.

Reactions: upnorth896

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.