Voltage fluxuation

Bigassfireman

May 23, 2010
U. S. of A. Ohio
Ok, kind of a vehicle mechanical question but it is tied in with my lights and siren so here goes:

I noticed yesterday that my voltage meter in my pick up now jumps when anything is turned on. Today, it ticks with the turn signal. I'm getting about 15 maybe 16V with radio, heater, siren on not running and it drops to about 14 when the turn signal lights. No problems starting. Any ideas, suggestions. I'd hate to burn up any lights or my siren.

Ben E.

May 21, 2010
Iowa, USA
How old is your battery? I had a 7 year old battery in my Expedition that would start fine right up until about a week before it's very quick death. If you've got a battery going bad, the alternator and voltage regulator could have a hard time deciphering when to send power to your electrical accessories and when to send it to your battery. I'd have your battery tested before anything since that's the easiest thing to replace.

WireKing

Dec 16, 2010
USA Southwest
Anything above 14.5 volts could damage everything! Ben is right. Have the electrical system checked out asap. If the battery is kaput, the alternator could start freaking out. Also, a bad alt will kill a battery too. If your running nearly 16v at idle, I'd say something is seriously wrong with your alt. Maybe a bad diode or rectifier.

Bigassfireman

May 23, 2010
U. S. of A. Ohio
Ok, thanks all! I will get it checked after Christmas, it can sit until then. My battery is only about 4 or 5 years old, I'll have to double check the date though. I replaced an alternator about 6 years ago.

EVModules

May 16, 2010
Deer Park, WA
Before you go jumping off a cliff, check with a true voltmeter (vmm). Vehicle gauges are typically not accurate!

It is usually not uncommon on older vehicles for the vehicle gauge to fluctuate. If it's a newer vehicle, I'd check the battery connections (clean them while you're at it) and try it again.

Dec 9, 2010
McHenry County, IL
EVModules said:
Before you go jumping off a cliff, check with a true voltmeter (vmm). Vehicle gauges are typically not accurate!

It is usually not uncommon on older vehicles for the vehicle gauge to fluctuate. If it's a newer vehicle, I'd check the battery connections (clean them while you're at it) and try it again.

I completly agree. Check the out put at the altenator charging post. Then Check to make sure that the battery is good. Chances are its probably the stepper motor in the clusters gauge, and the altenator is not truly putting out 16v at idle, and if the fluctuation is happing in conjunction with the turn signal it would further lead me to belive that it is the cluster.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
arnold gonzalez

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.