Volunteer Fire Department Fire Truck Install Help

colby4601

May 23, 2010
Southeastern Saskatchewan
Our current mid-80s Ford Fire Truck was recently up-fitted by myself and a couple other members with a Code 3 Force 4 XL lightbar. Bar is all red with take downs and a spotlight in the centre of the bar. This is an upgrade from the 4 lamp red cherry we pulled off the truck. Now, I/we need opinions/suggestions on what other lighting should be added to the truck. Because yes, that is all that is on there right now. Right now, I'm waiting to test out two red Whelen rotating lights for the rear of the truck, but haven't gotten there yet. We are an entirely volunteer fire department and so spending large amounts of money on fancy LED setups are simply not an option. If anyone can provide any cost effective lighting options, please do so.

Right now, I'm thinking the two rotators at the back of the truck, two LINZ6 LEDS (or something similar) at the back of the truck at about eye level, two LINZ6's on the side of the truck about smack dab in the middle. Just my thoughts for now.

We also have a utility trailer that we need some lights mounted on. For this, I was thinking either a single red rotating beacon or 4-6 LINZ6's (or, again, something similar) to provide appropriate warning when in transit and on scene.

Thought and suggestions please!!

Fluffy126577

May 24, 2010
Toledo, OH
Pictures of the actual truck would help to let people see the areas to work on. :)

colby4601

May 23, 2010
Fluffy126577 said:
Pictures of the actual truck would help to let people see the areas to work on. :)

I will try and get pictures of the truck and trailer this week. Tomorrow won't work, but hopefully Monday I can have something up.

cory y said:
HLF first and foremost.

I had thought about HLF, but I wasn't sure how effective they would be, yadda, yadda, yadda, I didn't think it through really. Toss that on the install list and start looking for some stuff to buy that way.

colby4601

May 23, 2010
And we're also getting some brand new decals purchased and then installed for the truck as well. They will be of the same calibre and close to the same design as one of the big city departments in our area.

Attached is a photo of what the decals will look close to:

[Broken External Image]:http://www.regina.ca/AssetFactory.aspx?did=181

Our decal will obviously have a different name, the coat of arms in the centre will be changed and the wording surrounding it will be removed.

hitechrednex

Jul 25, 2010
Florida
my volunteer department has a pierce contender that was very well lit with the xl up top, 2 rotators in the rear top, 2 oscilators in the front, and 6 flashing halogens, although i would probably opt for some decent sized inexpensive LED lights and a SHO-ME flasher for a pattern. on one of our trucks we used LED trailer lights and the sho-me flasher, works great adds cheap effective lighting

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
Rear lighting - two Code 3 550s (preferably 55 watt bulb, Fast motor, two red or 1 red + 1 amber) plus a pair of amber surface-mount lights (strobe, halogen, LED, your choice) and maybe a traffic director

Side lighting - one or two red surface-mount lights on each side

Forward lighting - two red or red/white surface-mount lights - mounted on the grille.

That should serve you pretty well, the XL is a very capable lightbar - it's just too big to be used on anything smaller than an ambulance.

usdemt

May 21, 2010
Vermillion SD
Why a LINZ6? My opinion is alway big truck big light so why not a TIR6 for the same price (depending on where you get it) Linear may be the way to go but pay a little extra and you could go that way too.

grfd711

Jun 23, 2010
Sherwood, AR
Tlandreth22 said:
Add a HLF, 2 oscilasers up front, 2 tir6 pimp pods on each side and the rotators and a halogen T/A in the rear.

Stay away from the oscilasers. They're not worth the hassle of replacing bulbs and motors and aren't that effective.

May 22, 2010
Columbiana County, Ohio
LIN6 is wayy too small...depending on if your urban or rural I'd go 600 or 400 series LEDs for the rear or side.

For lighting on the top rear...I'd go with 2 Whelen Guardian mini lightbars...cheep, highly effective and did I mention cheep ?

If it was me I'd remove the diamond mirrors so at off axis you'd get more rotator coverage.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.