VW Golf Alltrack Fire Command Vehicle

Retired1

Jun 1, 2010
Woodward County, OK
Last edited by a moderator:

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Thank lightbar is hideous and far from impressive IMO. The message board is hard to read at point blank range (so try reading from a moving vehicle in daytime), it looks too unnecessarily bulky to be aerodynamic (in an age where there are tons of slim/sleeker options), and the optics are not too impressive.

As for the fire concept car, I'm curious to see how it'll take off in Europe. I'm glad to see they're not pushing this vehicle (except as the plain/civilian model) in the states b/c we've seen concept vehicles for firefighters, like the Z71 Silverado VFF, that are cool in theory but don't catch on

Reactions: PJD642
May 21, 2010
LKN, NC
Thank lightbar is hideous and far from impressive IMO. The message board is hard to read at point blank range (so try reading from a moving vehicle in daytime), it looks too unnecessarily bulky to be aerodynamic (in an age where there are tons of slim/sleeker options), and the optics are not too impressive.

As for the fire concept car, I'm curious to see how it'll take off in Europe. I'm glad to see they're not pushing this vehicle (except as the plain/civilian model) in the states b/c we've seen concept vehicles for firefighters, like the Z71 Silverado VFF, that are cool in theory but don't catch on
Comparing US-spec lighting to EU-spec lighting is like comparing apples to anvils.  So their cars don't have to blink like Clark Griswold's house, so what?

I like the concept.  I am a firm believer in "bigger is not always better" when it comes to apparatus.  It would never catch on in the states, but it doesn't sound like VW is going to market it here.

Reactions: Doug and Retired1

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Comparing US-spec lighting to EU-spec lighting is like comparing apples to anvils. So their cars don't have to blink like Clark Griswold's house, so what?
I only said that the lightbar was ugly and that the output did not look impressive...I never said anything about this vehicle needing to be lit up like a Christmas tree or like EVs in the U.S.

I don't know where your little rant came from, because it had nothing to do with what I talked about.

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
I like the politness of the message in the light bar.  'Um, excuse me.  We are the police.  Move aside, please.'

May 21, 2010
LKN, NC
I only said that the lightbar was ugly and that the output did not look impressive...I never said anything about this vehicle needing to be lit up like a Christmas tree or like EVs in the U.S.

I don't know where your little rant came from, because it had nothing to do with what I talked about.
I misinterpreted.  My mistake.  I need a beer, lol.

Reactions: Retired1

nerdly_dood

Jun 15, 2010
Georgia
I get the distinct impression that linear optics aren't allowed in Europe. Even the FS Legend they sell there has different TIR-style optics. I need to go drive around Europe for a week or so and see what their blinkies look like in person, this YouTube business just doesn't cut it.

edit: Maybe not all of Europe, just Germany in particular? There are videos from other countries where they use a Liberty or a Justice..

TheCrownie

Sep 18, 2014
Ohio, USA & Germany
Gemany is not the only but one of the worst countries

A single ION could blow away this whole lightbar. 

You can barley see any side lighting there. Some privat rescue agency started to use american products and the wail. Turns out people reactions were a lot better with them but they  had to remove all that soon because of the law

Even the new yelp they "invented" isn't to be taken serious. 

And the prices are bad.

This bar sells for around $2000 and thats all what is on their ambulances. 

Reactions: Retired1

Retired1

Jun 1, 2010
Woodward County, OK
Is the new yelp going to replace the high / low horns?

Station 3

May 21, 2010
Edinburg Texas
European lighting is just weird...... huge vehicle huge lightbar with two little lights in corners and huge plastic thing in the center.......... ok

Jul 14, 2010
S.W. Ohio USA
I like the politness of the message in the light bar.  'Um, excuse me.  We are the police.  Move aside, please.'
A few of the old timers I started with used to get on the PA when drivers wouldn't pull over when they were running hot. The message was usually something like, "Hey dumb shit, pull your ass over right now!" Funny, they always did, with no complaints either. Different times.

Reactions: JazzDad

Solvarex

Jun 2, 2010
Canada
I have to admit it's amusing watching you dweebs bitch about European lighting as if you somehow know better what their needs are.

Go look up what it takes to get a driver's license in Germany and perhaps you will gain an understanding of why they don't require 50,000 lights and 2,000 watts of siren.

TheCrownie

Sep 18, 2014
Ohio, USA & Germany
It's okay to have an intensive training since you can drive without a speed limit there but that does not mean they have to save on emergency equipment. I'm not saying they have spend more money but to buy different stuff. 

They had the wail back in the days and it worked as well as last year.

How it mostly is:

https://youtu.be/ykTWGcP9r0I?t=25s

Good example of how it should be. 

Bad lighting, good siren.

https://youtu.be/zbWODgKspdo?t=20s

That is just my opinion, so fell free to discuss :)

Retired1

Jun 1, 2010
Woodward County, OK

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ArizonaFireTruckParty

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.