Want to build a set of S&M / TRIO style can lights

Aaron W

Dec 3, 2014
Northern California
I need a set of can lights for my fire engine, but there is no way I am going to spend the going rate for a set of original lights. They are a fairly simple design so want to try my hand at making a set. I have some metal working tools and know some people who do sheet metal work professionally, so I think I can pull that off.

I understand the retaining rings resemble the type used on Dietz 9-51 fixed lights. Is there a source where I might be able to get these rings for Par 46 bulbs other than salvaging them from complete lights? I occasionally still see similar lights as white work lights, so assume somebody is still making them.

If somebody has a set of can lights, original or reproduction that they would be willing to disassemble, measure and take detailed photos of to help in this process I would be very appreciative. If somebody had a set of drawings that would be awesome too.

I found a thread discussing LAPD use, wondering about other agencies, regarding lamps and flasher use. It would appear LA County FD and LAFD used at least a few on smaller vehicles (most of the big ones lacking a roof to mount them on).

With the disclaimer of never say never, was the red front, amber rear with flashers pretty standard or was there a lot of variation between agencies? I gather from the other thread that the can lights came from the factory without flashers. Did S&M / TRIO have a standard configuration or could agencies provide custom specs as to light colors and use of flashers?

These will be going onto a vintage US Forest Service fire engine. Based on a handful of photos it appears in that use the can bodies were grey, with 4 red lights. Of course photos are not much help regarding steady burn or flashing, so it would be helpful to know what the factory default was.

Markings, I'm sure this is a touchy subject due to unethical people. I'm not sure how many repro warning devices have even been done, but looking for opinions on the "right" balance of authenticity vs the prevention of frankenlights being passed off as originals. Any idea how the repro Trio lights that were done a while back were marked?
As a collector would you be offended by having something like S&M / TRIO 2019, 2020 (or whatever year I actually get the things finished) stamped into the body?

Last, and absolutely no promise that I'll do this, but would there be any interest in just the can body housings if I find their fabrication tolerable enough to make more than the two I need?

If you have gotten this far thank you. :)

I need a set of can lights for my fire engine, but there is no way I am going to spend the going rate for a set of original lights. They are a fairly simple design so want to try my hand at making a set. I have some metal working tools and know some people who do sheet metal work professionally, so I think I can pull that off.

I understand the retaining rings resemble the type used on Dietz 9-51 fixed lights. Is there a source where I might be able to get these rings for Par 46 bulbs other than salvaging them from complete lights? I occasionally still see similar lights as white work lights, so assume somebody is still making them.

If somebody has a set of can lights, original or reproduction that they would be willing to disassemble, measure and take detailed photos of to help in this process I would be very appreciative. If somebody had a set of drawings that would be awesome too.

I found a thread discussing LAPD use, wondering about other agencies, regarding lamps and flasher use. It would appear LA County FD and LAFD used at least a few on smaller vehicles (most of the big ones lacking a roof to mount them on).

With the disclaimer of never say never, was the red front, amber rear with flashers pretty standard or was there a lot of variation between agencies? I gather from the other thread that the can lights came from the factory without flashers. Did S&M / TRIO have a standard configuration or could agencies provide custom specs as to light colors and use of flashers?

These will be going onto a vintage US Forest Service fire engine. Based on a handful of photos it appears in that use the can bodies were grey, with 4 red lights. Of course photos are not much help regarding steady burn or flashing, so it would be helpful to know what the factory default was.

Markings, I'm sure this is a touchy subject due to unethical people. I'm not sure how many repro warning devices have even been done, but looking for opinions on the "right" balance of authenticity vs the prevention of frankenlights being passed off as originals. Any idea how the repro Trio lights that were done a while back were marked?
As a collector would you be offended by having something like S&M / TRIO 2019, 2020 (or whatever year I actually get the things finished) stamped into the body?

Last, and absolutely no promise that I'll do this, but would there be any interest in just the can body housings if I find their fabrication tolerable enough to make more than the two I need?

If you have gotten this far thank you. :)
Sounds like a good plan. Many years ago I used 4'' PVC Couplings, carriage bolts, and short lengths of pipe (couple of inches for center and 1/2 wide or so bulb retainers). Crude, but worked.

Aaron W

Dec 3, 2014
Northern California
Sounds like a good plan. Many years ago I used 4'' PVC Couplings, carriage bolts, and short lengths of pipe (couple of inches for center and 1/2 wide or so bulb retainers). Crude, but worked.

I have assumed the body of these was sheet metal, but as it looks like I will be fudging this, I'm thinking a section of aluminum pipe, turned on the lathe might be easier and more durable long term. That would be stiff enough to make a good solid mount as well.

Reactions: ryjackson2001

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Hilux01

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.