Wanted WANTED: Information on the pictured radio unit and/or to buy one like it

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 7, 2014
Lansdale, PA
Hi again, I want to find information about the unit pictured below. These were used on Philadelphia city police cars up into the late '80s and, as some of you may know, I'm restoring a 1987 Gran Fury from that department.

It looks to me like a GE Mastr.

I would be interested to purchase such a unit, if anyone has one. Even just the telephone handset and control head would be a start. Complete set would be ideal.

Any information or resources would be helpful and appreciated!

insideredcar-1.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Nov 7, 2014
Lansdale, PA
Per my sources in the department, yes. I thought it a bit odd, however multiple people have told me that this was the case. They apparently didn't change until the newer 911 system was activated.

Now, if only I could find the telephone handset and trunk-mounted workings....

Steve0625

Jun 23, 2010
Northville NY
Hi again, I want to find information about the unit pictured below. These were used on Philadelphia city police cars up into the late '80s and, as some of you may know, I'm restoring a 1987 Gran Fury from that department.

It looks to me like a GE Mastr.

I would be interested to purchase such a unit, if anyone has one. Even just the telephone handset and control head would be a start. Complete set would be ideal.

Any information or resources would be helpful and appreciated!
The handset is the tricky part. It wasn't just a standard old style telco handset. It contained a PTT switch in the center of the handle. Since the mic connector was very, very common in that era, you might have better luck looking for just the handset and cord and then picking up a mic connector to add to it. This is the handset minus the correct mic connector but with the more common cradle. It also has the wrong cord on it. Should be a coil cord instead of an armored straight cord, but you get the idea.

awww.telephonecomponents.com_images_TG419X1012.jpg

The handset hanger is a bit unique. I worked at RF Communications in the very early 1970's and we shipped a lot of radios (including vhf and uhf police, fire, and ems) with that handset, but the cradle was very different. You may not find that handset hanger. If you can find the standard cradle, it would still be period correct. I believe this is the correct hanger for the handset. It's shown here in a horizontal mounting.

awww.sandman.com_IMAGES_GstyleClampHolder1c_200.jpg

Here's a control head and cabling on ebay right now:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-GE-MASTR-Control-Head-w-Wire-Harness-Mobile-Radio-Classic-3979-/151348360610?pt=US_Code_Keyers_Keys&hash=item233d10b5a2

Matching speaker: http://www.ebay.com/itm/GE-General-electric-Mastr-two-way-radio-speaker-/201216420555?pt=US_Radio_Comm_Speakers&hash=item2ed96eeacb

Another head in rougher shape: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Vintage-GE-Mastr-Radio-Control-Head-/121412776467?pt=2_Way_Radios_FRS&hash=item1c44c3f213 Check with this seller, he says he has more heads. Might have other bits and pieces.

Period correct handset minus connector: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Western-Electric-G2-Handset-Black-Bakelite-Push-to-talk-/271670580837?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f40d41665

Search ebay for ptt handset

Reactions: diehardcorvetteman

A-TAD

May 21, 2010
South Eastern PA
I sent you a Pm but I'll share my photos on here too.

Not for sale just sharing what was used by the PPD

ai259.photobucket.com_albums_hh288_A_TAD_100_0631.jpg

The siren that was used.

ai259.photobucket.com_albums_hh288_A_TAD_100_0422.jpg

Lyle

Oct 28, 2012
Maine
I MAY have a handset; can dig around this evening - once had the other pieces IIRC, might still have them buried in the "radio room" ......…

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.