Watertown CT FD - 2016 Chevy Suburban

RDT Car 25

May 22, 2010
Milford, CT
My department is building a new 2016 Suburban for EMS First Response. It will replace a 2004 Suburban. I list the link for the upfitters website below. I will also list the equipment that is being installed.

2016 Chevy Suburban LT
All Whelen equipment
Freedom IV light bar: 4 corners, TD, Alleys, front and rear flashers, IR LED Opticom
Whelen Cencom w/ 1 SA315 speaker
Ions in the grille: 2 red, 2 white
Whelen M2: front and rear intersection warning. red, white
Ions in rear window, side facing
Outer Edge on rear pillars: R A R
Microns on rear bumper, rear facing
Vertexes recessed into bottom of liftgate.
LED GoLight mounted to light bar.

I will add photos as the build progresses.

100_5056-950.jpg 100_5057-950.jpg 100_5172-450.jpg 100_5174-450.jpg
http://www.gowansknight.com/Watertown EMS7 page 011516.htm

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
It definitely has lighting in all the right places (and is a better setup than EMS9), but I'm not a fan of some of the lights that the committee chose. I really dislike the D-post outer edge to the rear & the use of small M2's for side warning; i would've preferred a horizontal outer edge to the rear & M4's to the sides.

Are the 4 ions going to be mounted horizontally in the grill (on each side of the Chevy logo in that slot/opening), or are they going to be mounted behind the upper & lower sections of the grill? Something minor, but I think a pair of solid red M7's would have looked better there.

I've seen the other 2 EMS suburbans that GK built for you guys. How many calls do you guys run a year?
Looking forward to a video of the finished job

RDT Car 25

May 22, 2010
Milford, CT
Thanks. It was all my spec originally and I had larger light heads originally. We have come to prefer the Pillar Outer Edge because the horizontal one is lost as soon as you open the liftgate, which we do on every call to grab our gear.

The Ions were mounted horizontally behind the upper and lower sections of the the grille. My idea was in the grille slots as well. I has also asked for two siren speakers, but was overruled. We run 2500 total Fire and EMS calls a year. EMS runs vary from 75% to 80% per month.

The 2004 Suburban this will replace will become our Utility 11 and the current Utility 11 (2001 Suburban) will be turned in to the Town.

I will have more photos and a video or two as it progresses.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Thanks. It was all my spec originally and I had larger light heads originally. We have come to prefer the Pillar Outer Edge because the horizontal one is lost as soon as you open the liftgate, which we do on every call to grab our gear.

The Ions were mounted horizontally behind the upper and lower sections of the the grille. My idea was in the grille slots as well. I has also asked for two siren speakers, but was overruled. We run 2500 total Fire and EMS calls a year. EMS runs vary from 75% to 80% per month.

The 2004 Suburban this will replace will become our Utility 11 and the current Utility 11 (2001 Suburban) will be turned in to the Town.

I will have more photos and a video or two as it progresses.

I can't believe your Dept has 3 flycars; I wish we had that many when I was a vollie. Are any of them floating takehome vehicles for EMS members?

I've honestly never been a huge fan of the Go lights b/c I think they're a waste of $....IMHO they're a good idea in theory, but I don't find them particularly bright and when I'm looking for an address (and driving a smaller piece of apparatus), I use alleys and the A-post unity, since they're easier/quicker to set up.

RDT Car 25

May 22, 2010
Milford, CT
I can't believe your Dept has 3 flycars; I wish we had that many when I was a vollie. Are any of them floating takehome vehicles for EMS members?

I've honestly never been a huge fan of the Go lights b/c I think they're a waste of $....IMHO they're a good idea in theory, but I don't find them particularly bright and when I'm looking for an address (and driving a smaller piece of apparatus), I use alleys and the A-post unity, since they're easier/quicker to set up.

We do have 3 flycars. We also have a full set of EMS gear on our Rescue 10 if needed. They are not take home EMS cars. Only the Chief, Deputy Chief and Captains have a take home car. The 8 other Captains are on a 3 day rotation per month and share one vehicle. I'm not in the rotation, but will cover as needed. I'm also allowed to go to the scene as needed.

As for the GoLight, we'll see how it works. The light bar will have takedowns and alleys as well. No handheld or A-post light.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
airflores

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.