Way too fast of a POV response

paff2

Nov 30, 2010
Lancaster, PA
Someone definitely increased the speed of the video in some parts of it. It's really obvious when the engine takes off from the light.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Mrlunchbox
May 9, 2012
Central Florida
Someone definitely increased the speed of the video in some parts of it. It's really obvious when the engine takes off from the traffic light.

Oh and that voice in command is me. Not our call but we were mutual aid and I work a block away so I was there quickly. There were no home company chiefs on the call till later.
That's what I was thinking that it seemed like the video was sped up, but the siren sounds normal? Anyhow, I know camera have that affect where they can make something appear different than it actually is. Are they aloud to have their family members, especially children, in their POV while responding? I guess I could see if they happen to already be with them and they were toned out for a fire or something, but that's a big no-no down here in FL. 

RescueWV

Dec 31, 2010
Central PA
What made me nervous watching this was the passing of vehicles from about :20 to :35, ESPECIALLY at :24 seconds.  It seemed like the driver didn't even give the vehicles the opportunity to yield before passing.

Storm82

Dec 16, 2014
Ludlow Falls, Ohio
Depends on the laws if where that is located.

I know where I am from, state law allows Volunteers to run 10 mph over the posted speed limit, if responding lights and siren to a call.

So yeah it does look fast, but to be honest, not any different from one of my responses.

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
He could have driven faster... if he engaged full afterburner.

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
Definitely not the worst response, but my biggest problem is how he doesn't slow down when crossing the yellow line; he just assumed every vehicle was gonna yield. Maybe it's because I've given up almost all faith in humanity and drive Code 3 under the assumption that either nobody will yield or that everyone will do something stupid (ie slamming on the brakes to a complete stop right in front of me, trying to speed up, cutting me off in the 1 lane that's open) other than gradually slowing down and pulling over.

When I was a vollie none of my depts had policies regarding responses with children/family members in the vehicle, but you'd like to think that most people (with the clear exception of this guy) would drive even more cautiously than normal if their child was riding with them, since driving code 3 has inherent dangers in itself, let alone when crossing over a line or going through an intersection

Last edited by a moderator:

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA

When I was a vollie none of my depts had policies regarding responses with children/family members in the vehicle, ...
My department doesn't allow anyone other than active members on apparatus.  Period.  It may seem too strict; little kids want to climb up on the big fire truck.  But have one fall off and get hurt...

lawsuit.jpg

May 9, 2012
Central Florida
Exactly!! Like I said, the camera he is using could have distorted the video to make it appear faster...but I still don't agree with having your children in the car with you. It's one thing if I crash and hurt myself, but if I were to crash and hurt my children and/or some innocent pedestrian/civilian because I was driving like an idiot...I could never live with myself after that. 

Mrlunchbox

Jun 12, 2010
Central, MA
The only time I kinda laugh at these type of things is watching these folks trip out of there houses, excessively speed, run into the station then just stand around. Or kinda walk around with no purpose. No need to get there like a bat outa hell if you aren't going to try to leave a little faster! ha ha

Krsdog25

Apr 30, 2012
NJ
In your statement the phrase "should of" is mentioned....I believe you meant "should have."  As for you assertion regarding junior members, do you drive the truck a little slower to a rollover with entrapment because you have a junior on board?

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
It doesn't matter who is on board.  I drive the truck the same way, whether it's to a rollover with entrampment or an automatic alarm: Safely.  How are you helping if you don't make it to the incident because you pushed the envelope and wrecked?

safe.jpg

Reactions: Storm82 and Skippy

Storm82

Dec 16, 2014
Ludlow Falls, Ohio
It doesn't matter who is on board. I drive the truck the same way, whether it's to a rollover with entrampment or an automatic alarm: Safely. How are you helping if you don't make it to the incident because you pushed the envelope and wrecked?

attachicon.gif
safe.jpg
As we have always said on my department, it is better to take a few seconds longer to get there, and arrive in 1 piece, than to not get there at all.

JazzDad

Aug 5, 2011
USA
As we have always said on my department, it is better to take a few seconds longer to get there, and arrive in 1 piece, than to not get there at all.
AND, if you don't get there, you've created another problem.  Safe & sane.

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
sadlad

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.