Weatherproof Avenger

citypatrol

Nov 23, 2018
New York
Hi all.
some of you may think this is a silly question, and its possible that you are correct.
nonetheless, i was curious about trying to weatherproof a light that is marketed as interior only (e.g. a whelen avenger).
i was considering a roll on bedliner as the polymer should theoretically create a waterproof seal around the light without increasing the footprint drastically.
what are your thoughts? Am i missing something obvious that will prevent this from working?
thanks

Jarred J.

Lifetime VIP Donor
May 21, 2010
Shelbyville, TN
does it not have vent holes to prevent over heating?

pdk9

May 26, 2010
New York & Florida
I would avoid doing that and just choose a dedicated exterior light.
Although it’s not as much of an issue with an avenger as it would be scene lights that require large heat syncs, I’d still be considering what Jared pointed out (about the heat question) and moisture getting trapped in it.

Sep 16, 2018
Kentucky
Hi all.
some of you may think this is a silly question, and its possible that you are correct.
nonetheless, i was curious about trying to weatherproof a light that is marketed as interior only (e.g. a whelen avenger).
i was considering a roll on bedliner as the polymer should theoretically create a waterproof seal around the light without increasing the footprint drastically.
what are your thoughts? Am i missing something obvious that will prevent this from working?
thanks
The plastic is not the same grade as used with exterior bars, meaning it will crack in freezing temps, and warp in hot temps. Also, the internal components are not protected from such moisture (remember the two culprits with electronics: ICE and HUMIDITY). Both create condensation (water) depending on the temp outside. (My 2 cents!)

Sep 16, 2018
Kentucky
The plastic is not the same grade as used with exterior bars, meaning it will crack in freezing temps, and warp in hot temps. Also, the internal components are not protected from such moisture (remember the two culprits with electronics: ICE and HUMIDITY). Both create condensation (water) depending on the temp outside. (My 2 cents!)
Oh, one other thing, black plastic (or anything black in color for that matter) absorbs more heat than other colors

citypatrol

Nov 23, 2018
New York
Thanks to all those who responded. You are making good points and if it was built as interior spec, it probably won't do so well on the exterior.
Thanks for stopping by

Sep 16, 2018
Kentucky
Thanks to all those who responded. You are making good points and if it was built as interior spec, it probably won't do so well on the exterior.
Thanks for stopping by
Also, keep in mind if you are talking abut modifying/altering brand new equipment, you are tossing your warranty out of the window!

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ErikH

About Us

• Since 1997, eLightbars has been the premier venue for all things emergency warning equipment. Discussions, classified listings, pictures, videos, chat, & more! Our staff members strive to keep the forums organized and clutter-free. All of our offerings are free-of-charge with all costs offset by banner advertising. Premium offerings are available to improve your experience.

User Menu

Secure Browsing & Transactions

eLightbars.org uses SSL to secure all traffic between our server and your browsing device. All browsing and transactions within are secured by an SSL Certificate with high-strength encryption.