WeCAN Issue

DeadStone

May 26, 2020
2087 Stonefort RD
Hello helpful friends! I recently acquired a WeCan Liberty I lightbar and have run into some weird problems.

I have Command, and WeCAN 7 installed on a Windows 11 machine.

The control point module is a Gen II series.

If I build my lightbar and go to transfer the file to the control point, Command does not see that the control point is hooked up.

If I go into WeCAN 7, it does see the control point module, but does weird things.

Using the same bar configuration and writing it to the control point results in some light heads not powering at all, while some work just fine.

In the bottom corner of WeCAN 7, I also noticed when transferring to the lightbar 'Checksum Report Failed'

The most interesting part, if I flash the control point with a default Liberty configuration, all the modules light up and work correctly.

I am new to the WeCAN stuff and only have a basic understanding of how it works. Your help is very much appreciated!

Kind Regards,
Kody

In the lightbar build, do you have it selected as the Gen2 control point?

What is the MFG of the Liberty? I believe before a certain date you had to use an older wecan version to import the bar. This is a problem I had with liberty WC pre legacy series.

Did you try programming the CP through the older wecan software to see if it will take the programming?

Last edited:
Reactions: DeadStone
Upvote 0

What is the MFG of the Liberty? I believe before a certain date you had to use an older wecan version to import the bar. This is a problem I had with liberty WC pre legacy series.

Did you try programming the CP through the older wecan software to see if it will take the programming?
Hi, yes in WeCan 5 I tried programming it and have the same results. In WeCan5 I have it selected as the 18 Pin GenII controller.

As far as the date of MFG. I'm not too sure yet. I'm going to take it a part and have a look at the IO board.

I'm wondering if maybe the IO board isn't compatible with the control point... Is that a possibility?

Upvote 0
Just opened it

Up... This liberty had an IO board dated 03/13

Upvote 0
The driver that WECAN 7 installs is not compatible with Command, and will replace the compatible driver. In Command, go to W->Help->About->Install Driver. Go through that process. And then do not use Wecan 5 or 7. Use only Command.

Upvote 1
@andrewsim -- I like your idea and it makes sense to me w/r/t why Command doesn't work...but OP observed, "Checksum Report Failed" using WECAN 7. I interpret that message to mean "We carried out the transfer of configuration data _from_ your WECAN7 to the ControlPoint and went through the process of writing it to FLASH memory. But after doing so, the calculated checksum of this data block on the ControlPoint does not match that which WECAN 7 originally calculated."

If my interpretation is correct, then yes...your suggestion will allow "Command" to use its driver to communicate with the ControlPoint...but if the CP had failing FLASH memory, the result will ultimately be the same.

Unfortunately @DeadStone _might_ need a new CP...I hope I'm wrong.

Upvote 0
The driver that WECAN 7 installs is not compatible with Command, and will replace the compatible driver. In Command, go to W->Help->About->Install Driver. Go through that process. And then do not use Wecan 5 or 7. Use only Command.
Ok thank you for the help guys. I was able to get it programmed after installing the driver and using WeCAN 7

I have run into one other weird quirk. The lightbar functions and activates anytime the USB is plugged into the CP and the PC is on. If I unplug it from the PC it won't power on...

Upvote 0
Ok thank you for the help guys. I was able to get it programmed after installing the driver and using WeCAN 7

I have run into one other weird quirk. The lightbar functions and activates anytime the USB is plugged into the CP and the PC is on. If I unplug it from the PC it won't power on...
If you're not plugged into the USB, you need to power the CP through the 6-pin connector (red circle):
1725215631923.png
Sorry, I don't have the exact pin-outs handy...but when not connected to USB, two of these 6 pins provide power to the CP (straight +12VDC -- the PCB has its own voltage regulator to feed the electronics +5VDC)

Upvote 0
If you're not plugged into the USB, you need to power the CP through the 6-pin connector (red circle):
View attachment 252571
Sorry, I don't have the exact pin-outs handy...but when not connected to USB, two of these 6 pins provide power to the CP (straight +12VDC -- the PCB has its own voltage regulator to feed the electronics +5VDC)
Right, that makes sense to me. But as soon as I drop power to the USB port (power attached to 6 pin at 12v) the lightbar drops out and the functions do not activate.

Upvote 0
Right, that makes sense to me. But as soon as I drop power to the USB port (power attached to 6 pin at 12v) the lightbar drops out and the functions do not activate.
Sorry dude, I think your CP is f*ed up. I think you, me, and I hope the rest of the entire free world would agree that the CP and the lighbar are intended to operate _without_ USB power, right?
Either your CP _isn't_ getting the supply voltage it needs to run, _or_ it's getting it but it isn't treating it right (regulating the +12VDC down to the +5DVC most MCUs run on)

Upvote 0
With you on that one. Will get another ordered. I appreciate you all, lots of smart folks here.
Sorry dude, I think your CP is f*ed up. I think you, me, and I hope the rest of the entire free world would agree that the CP and the lighbar are intended to operate _without_ USB power, right?
Either your CP _isn't_ getting the supply voltage it needs to run, _or_ it's getting it but it isn't treating it right (regulating the +12VDC down to the +5DVC most MCUs run on)

Reactions: RS485
Upvote 0

Forum Statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jebenstock