• Chat is Back! It's helped many people get the information they've needed in the past... maybe we can get it busy enough to help a new generation of information seekers!

Weird NYPD ESU Truck

Phoenix_Rising

Resident Ghost
Gold Supporter
Diggin it hardcore. NYPD ESU has a good knack for having the right stuff in the right places, without being ridiculous

ff168577

It looks like this was a post 9-11 truck as it is a 2002. It used to be MALT (Mobile Auxilliary Light Truck) 4, and ESU 4 was a 2002 Mack. I assume the original 4 truck was due to be replaced and MALT 4 got moved over to 4 truck because it might not have been used as much. I'm just speculating. But I absolutely love the lighting. Especially the front grill.

CHIEFOPS

It looks like this was a post 9-11 truck as it is a 2002. It used to be MALT (Mobile Auxilliary Light Truck) 4, and ESU 4 was a 2002 Mack. I assume the original 4 truck was due to be replaced and MALT 4 got moved over to 4 truck because it might not have been used as much. I'm just speculating. But I absolutely love the lighting. Especially the front grill.
It's not 'Truck 4', Truck 4 is a ginormous model year 2014 or 15 Saulsbury heavy duty walk-in rescue truck RMP number 5704, this is a smaller support vehicle that's assigned to Squad 4 whose designated role isn't specified with any markings.

pdk9

Veteran Member
Love the truck. I'm wondering if it's a remounted chassis....it looked like an older saulsbury body (with original LED and steobe lighting on the sides) mounted a newer international chassis. Saulsbury has been out of business for a while (E-One bought them out a while ago) but that international chassis definitely doesn't look more than several years old.

I also dig the single FedSig halogen pods there, combined with strobes for intersection. I like that much better than the 3 smaller FedSig intersection lightheads on the newer E-One custom chassis trucks

It would look good if all of the halogen rotating stuff was replaced with the Vision SLR and single SLR pods where the rotators are on the bumper. I don't even know if they make single pod SLR stuff, but it would look good.

CrownVic97

Veteran Member
It would look good if all of the halogen rotating stuff was replaced with the Vision SLR and single SLR pods where the rotators are on the bumper. I don't even know if they make single pod SLR stuff, but it would look good.
Federal Signal does make single pods or beacons with SLR tech! Check it out ;-)

OP
OP
C

classifieds869294

Established Member
I wish I could give you a better answer, but googling did not yield much. I vaguely recall reading something that said something was modified to cause both the wail and yelp to be "flipped" vs. the contemporary (at the time) standard black face PA300's, making it sound reminiscent of the silver face models. You can hear a very subtle difference between the FDNY yelp and silver face yelp.

Also, the FDNY spec siren did not have hi lo. The label is there but there's no hi lo.

Chat users

• No one is chatting at the moment.

Latest Listings

Staff online

Top Bottom